close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Eneloop Shelf Life

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Lone Kimono, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Lone Kimono

Lone Kimono

Does anyone know what the shelf life is of new, unopened, Enloop batteries? I'd like to store some away, but not if they won't be good when I need them.

2. Babynine

Babynine

I think I have read of someone on CPF testing a 6 year old unopened package of Eneloops, and they still held a decent charge right from the package! They were only rated to hold a charge for a year or two, but they seem to do much better than that.

I have only been using them for 7-8 months, and I have not seen any voltage drop from them in that time from storage. The Goal Zero LSD AA cells I have seem to test out to a higher capacity than the Eneloops, but I have seen a small voltage drop over only 4 months. Both are rated to 2000mah, but the Goal Zero AA cells I have tested out to about 2200mah. I prefer the Eneloops.

Remember that Eneloops only come with a 70% charge from the factory, so you would likely be better off charging or doing a break-in cycle before storing them, but I cant be sure.

3. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

I also saw that Duracell is offering a 10yr guarantee.That is forth coming.'08.

4. humanguerrilla

humanguerrilla

wonder about the 2500 mah eneloop xx

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  5. rwrjr

rwrjr

I have about one dozen of the AA Eneloop, all purchased over the last 2-3 years. When we had the big multi-day power outage a few weeks ago they were all deader than door nails. I tried many pairs in my portable radio since all comms were down the first day and none worked. Fortunately the radio also has a dynamo w/crank.

After the power came back on I recharged them and tested in the radio to make sure the issue wasn't with the radio itself. After recharge they worked fine.

6. KeithS

KeithS CLM

I have a couple dozen. I believe the packaging said they would be at 75% after 3 years. You could verify on their website.

7. rwrjr

rwrjr

What the package or website says doesn't really matter. Give yours a try after sitting for a couple of years. Who knows, maybe I have a batch that don't hold a charge. I do use them in a lot of things though. Whenever I swap them out I put the discharged batteries in the charger overnight and put them back in the kitchen drawer when charging is complete.

8. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Rechargeables need to be exercised, IMO. If you let them sit for years they simply will not be the same. In my experience anyway.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  9. Chucktown Mako

Chucktown Mako G23

I bought a set of both AA's and AAA's from Costco a couple months back, but they didn't come with a charger. What's everybody using?

There is a good review of the batteries/charger on amazon. Pretty detailed testing the guy did. It's the first review on the list here:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-Eneloop-Charger-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B003VLAEPQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1343940826&sr=1-3&keywords=eneloop"]Amazon.com: Sanyo Eneloop Ni-MH Charger and 8 Rechargeable AA and 4 Rechargeable AAA Batteries: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31L1Nx4DN4L.@@AMEPARAM@@31L1Nx4DN4L[/ame]

10. bdcochran

bdcochran

Thanks for starting the thread.

FYI - the literature says that the batteries have to be put through a special cycle before charging. I did that with one set that I use in a super flashlight kept by the front door.

The literature says that the batteries come with less than a full charge and are supposed to have a 70% charge after 3 years. Then I started thinking. Well, the three years doesn't start from date of purchase. Ok, so does it mean 3 years from date of manufacture? Then, I concluded it must mean 3 years from the date of the special cycle of the purchased batteries. Aaaaah!

So, last night I ordered a large number of Red Chinese aa/aaa battery holders. They are plastic and hold the batteries separately in compartments. Purchased on ebay. I now with start putting every battery through the special cycle, fully charge them, mark the date that I put them in storage.:wavey:

11. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

It use to be true, but not anymore with Envelops and simular batteries.

As far as a recharger, PowerEx MH-C9000 WizardOne Charger-Analyzer is suppose to be the best.

The one I bought is cheaper, but should have the same features.
    The one envelops come with is not a smart charger.
    The Goal zero Guide10+ is not a smart charger.

Can someone post the procedures for storing envelops for long term. If my black envelops came with a manual it has been lost.

12. Lone Kimono

Lone Kimono

I purchased a bunch of the sets from Costco as well. If they only last 3 years I'm going to take some back and buy them down the road.

13. RWBlue

14. RWBlue

Charge them once a year. They should stay very well in storage for a year.

15. Bolster

Bolster Not Ready Yet!

I have 2006 vintage Eneloops that got very little use, and they're still going strong, many around 90% capacity.

BUT as others have said, this is not how you treat Eneloops, ideally. You want to use the Refresh and Analyze mode on a Maha C-9000 about twice yearly to keep them in top condition.

Also, after charged, if storing, then DIScharge them to about 70% capacity. It's actually better if an Eneloop is not stored at full charge. Notice when they come new in package they are generally around 70%, depending on how long they've been on the shelf, and that's done on purpose from the factory. See CPF if you want more explanation on this one.

I learned this the hard way: When an Eneloop loses some capacity, be sure to adjust your charge rates for the NEW (lower!) capacity! I kept charging some oldies as if they had full capacity and I reduced their capacity even further that way.

Many arguments about refrigeration or not. Appears to have a negligible effect on Eneloops, so I don't. But don't store them in a warm place, obviously.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012