close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Encryption software

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Jay S., Oct 8, 2010.

1. Jay S.

Jay S.
    Expand Collapse

Can anyone recommend good encryption software for windows 7? I travel frequently and therefore use different wireless networks. I would like to password protect/encrypt several different folder/files on my laptop. I was looking at Folder Lock on CNET but I'm not sure about it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. kckndrgn

kckndrgn
    Expand Collapse

truecrypt

You can encrypt a "file" on your PC or a thumbdrive, then mount the file using trucrypt and it looks like a regular "disk"

I have all my thumdrives "automount" my truecrypt volumes, only works under windows, but that's what I use.
    http://www.truecrypt.org/

3. teweekley

teweekley
    Expand Collapse

+1 on the TrueCrypt. If you're only wanting to encrypt files/folders and not the entire harddrive or flash drives, give AxCrypt a try. It has right-click functionality for quickly encrypting files/folders. If you send an encrypted file to someone without the AxCrypt software, it can decrypt itself it is made as an .exe or they can decrypt it using the decrypter tool you can attach with the file.

http://www.axantum.com/axcrypt/

4. Jay S.

Jay S.
    Expand Collapse

Thanks everyone.

5. prism

prism
    Expand Collapse
    more ammo

truecrypt.

then download firefox from portableapps.com and put it in a truecrypt volume.

one advantage is in backing up important stuff. if it is an a truecrypt volume, all you have to do is backup a single truecrypt file, and the data remains encrypted.