Elk taken with 10mm

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by uz2bUSMC, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Whew just so the sectional density is close. They must be equal then.:rofl:

Well a 147gr FMJ will penetrate through a deer and the diameter is only slightly smaller at .355" vs .401" so it must be ok.:rofl:

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #41 dkf, Oct 14, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  2. uz2bUSMC

uz2bUSMC 10mm defender

Um, yea... a 147grn fmj 9mm would probably have no problem penetrating through a deer. I mean, if you don't think so I'd guess you really don't know how sectional density works for non expanding projectiles. Same reason .357 with hardcast has been successful on deer. Doesn't take much energy to penetrate far when bullets aren't expanding. So as far as deer are concerned, they won't know much difference. They are not hard to kill.:wavey:

You probably can't come up with any good reason why the 10mm is not suitable for deer, you should probably just quit wasting your time.

#42 uz2bUSMC, Oct 14, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  3. A 147gr 9mm FMJ can penetrate through a deer, that is why I said it. I was using your flawed logic to sarcastically say it must be an adequate deer round then. I will try and explain things further next time so you can keep up.:faint:

4. uz2bUSMC

uz2bUSMC 10mm defender

All it needs to do is penetrate the deer, as with any round. They are not hard to kill. But please, give your reason why the 10mm is not adequate for the animal we are discussing.

5. uz2bUSMC

uz2bUSMC 10mm defender

Thought you would have nothing.

6. Good hits count, poor hits and misses dont count. makes no difference if its an elephant gun or a pee shooter. if you hit an animal the wrong way in the wrong place it makes no difference the weapon it will still suffer and not die.

7. it may be adequate but that doesn't mean it's the best tool for the job. hunters should use the heaviest caliber they can shoot safely and accurately to do all they can to provide for a humane and quick harvest. clearly you don't need a .458 or .460 but let's face it, a 10mm with some 400 - 500 ft-lbs of energy at the muzzle is a far cry from a 30-06 with an actual ton (2000) ft-lbs of energy out to 200 yards.

put it another way, if you knew you would continue being shot until you actually died, what would you want to be shot with? a .22, a .223, 10mm, 30-06, .340wby, etc?

8. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk Isaiah 53:4-9

I am not crying or hugging a tree. Neither am I going to leap out of a deer stand in a ninja suit, tackle a buck in rut and glock him with 9mm.:rofl:

9. uz2bUSMC

uz2bUSMC 10mm defender

Might wanna check your energy numbers for the 10mm again. The 10mmm does provide quick and humane harvests on deer and has been doing so for a lot of people for a long time. They don't need a .458 as you said they also don't require an '06, all they need is penetration of the vitals which
    10mm will do without a problem.

10. uz2bUSMC

uz2bUSMC 10mm defender

Well, if you did leap out of a tree in a ninja suit, that should be all you need.

11. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

It seems to me that full-power 10mm loads are more than adequate for deer hunting.

12. Excluding laws, two things are needed to determine minimum cartridge. You absolutely have to be put the bullet within vitals everytime or pass the shot.....this also defines your range. I use the 8" plate for big game measure. How does your selected load perform with the ideal perfect shot and also with possible obstructions? How will it perform if you hit a rib, nip a shoulder, or vegetation in route to the vitals? I'd have to test 45ACP (better yet 45 Super) or 10mm before considering this RELIABLE for elk. Just b/c you see a youtube video doesn't mean it is a good idea FOR YOU

#52 water_daddy, Oct 18, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  13. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

Real life is better than Youtube :cool:

14. uz2bUSMC

uz2bUSMC 10mm defender

Ok, so why are you telling me this?

15. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

to offer us his wisdom. I can dig it! :supergrin:

16. uz2bUSMC

uz2bUSMC 10mm defender

He's offering as if I have never thought of what he is saying or done the research. He would be wrong in that regard.

17. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

It is hard to converse on boards such as these. :upeyes:

18. uz2bUSMC

uz2bUSMC 10mm defender

You are correct Sir, this is why I asked him. Text doesn't always convey tone.

19. I am not a hunter, but I am pro-hunting. I am against inhumane hunting such as trapping and I'm on the fence about bow hunting. Trapping isn't hunting, it's cruel and for lazy idiots that can't hunt. At least bow hunting you have to hunt. I believe that a kill needs to be made fast and have minimal suffering to the animal.

A 10mm I do believe will take out a deer, especially the kind here in the south. They are rather small. It's all about the hunter's skill. As long as they can take a shot they know they can actually take the animal, not just shoot it to see if they can hit it.

A buddy of mine is an animal control officer. He's told me a lot of how the meth head hicks out here all think they are hunters because they wear mossy oak jackets and will shoot at anything they can with whatever they have and all they end up with is wounded animals which usually die of infection or disease due to these wounds. These idiots that want to kill something to feel like a man are not hunters. The hunters I know take it very seriously.

20. Actually, it WAS NOT dead when it hit the ground. If you look closely at about 1:30 in the video (1st video in the thread) when the guy is jumping around with both hands in the air yelling "whoo hoo!!", you can see the elk still flopping around in the background over his right shoulder (left side of screen).
    So, it DID NOT appear to be a very humane kill to me! Instead of standing there doing his victory dance, he should have been putting the poor elk out of its misery:crying:

#60 G26AZ, Oct 19, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2012