Elk taken with 10mm

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by uz2bUSMC, Oct 13, 2012.

1. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

True. I have never heard of any deer wearing body armor. :supergrin:

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Was wondering that myself!:yawn:

If you watch that clip, of Keith Warren, taking that elk, is in fact, using a G21, and in .45ACP, one would have to conclude, the 10MM would be a terrible choice!:upeyes: That elk was dead before the body hit the ground! Not saying that a 45, or 10, are the ideal caliber, for hunting elk, but, if a 44 mag is, could the elk have fallen dead any quicker?

3. These guys know what they are doing, more hunters should know what they are doing.

Part of the reason I quit hunting is because of fools that don't bother to figure out what they need to do. I used to duck hunt and the dikes would be littered with dead and dying birds that folks would make no attempt to bag. I watched a group of hunters that would drop birds and then watch them swim away to die slowly. Every time they shot something they would yell at it like they were in a war.

If you hunt make sure you know what you are doing. A 10mm seems capable, but if you are a beginning hunter a Glock 10mm might not be the best choice.

4. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

If you are a beginning hunter - any handgun would be a substandard choice.

5. Both are highly edited videos. The first video shows him shooting twice with the first shot doing nothing. Yeah real friggin effective.:upeyes: How many shots did they edit out between the first and last shot? I prefer not to have to shoot an animal twice if at all possible and have a quick humane kill.

This thread is a prime example of why many states have laws with minimum caliber requirements for certain game. It is obvious there are many people out there that cannot be responsible enough to pick the right tool for the job.

Why. You can be a life long (medal winning) handgun shooter and be a beginner hunter. Not everyone starts hunting early in life. The right handgun and that experienced shooter should have no problem humanely taking an animal.

#25 dkf, Oct 14, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  6. Clutch Cargo

Clutch Cargo Amsterdam Haze

Interesting that it's legal.

7. uz2bUSMC

uz2bUSMC 10mm defender

What's your criteria for the "right tool for the job"?

8. For what?

9. uz2bUSMC

uz2bUSMC 10mm defender

Well, medium game.

10. For me minimum rifle heavy for caliber .243, minimum handgun .44mag/.45lc.(deer) Not long range. Preferred for deer is .308, .270, 30-06 and etc.

#30 dkf, Oct 14, 2012
  11. uz2bUSMC

uz2bUSMC 10mm defender

So, I guess you use full tilt .44 and .45lc with the heaviest available bullets then?

12. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

I agree with your choices. :supergrin:

13. That is what is nice about using a tool more suited for the job. You do not have to use the heaviest and fastest loads. Something like a 240gr XTP or flat nose hardcast is fine for me.:wavey:

14. uz2bUSMC

uz2bUSMC 10mm defender

Well man, I hope you know that the 240grain .44 has a SD of .185 and the 230grain 10mm is at .205SD and looks to be a fine tool for the job for anyone. The 200grain 10mm is at .179SD which is more comparable to the 240grn .44 and should be more than fine for a deer, especially at 800+ ft lbs from a 6" bbl. The difference between .400 and .429 is pretty nil if we are talking hardcast. The penetration of either is more than enough for a deer.:wavey:

15. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk Isaiah 53:4-9

You mean like the thread where people wanted to go deer hunting with a 9mm. People were adamantly advocating that silliness.

I have to wonder at what distances. Was it it wondering lost under a deer stand, and took a near point blank to the brain pan or spinal cord?

16. uz2bUSMC

uz2bUSMC 10mm defender

Can't you go back to that other thread and cry while hugging a tree instead of this one?

17. For elk, Elmer Keith recommended a minimum of .33 cal. in a rifle to consistently & humanely harvest them. Obviously, bullet technology has advanced since then but hunters haven't. Technology very rarely trumps fieldcraft for hunting. Personally, I think even an accomplished & wise hunter would not venture below a large 30 cal. today with modern hunting bullets for elk with a rifle.

The playing field for handguns has changed dramatically with the X Frame S&W revolvers. If you discount them you are left with the .44 & .45 cal. Rugers using a large Keith style SWC or a WFN at 50 yds. & in the hands of an accomplished shot a few may stretch it out to 100 yds. with iron sights. Since penetration is far more important than expansion in these scenarios I would avoid the HP's. Just my 2 cents.

18. Double post.

#38 Tiro Fijo, Oct 14, 2012
  19. #39 ModGlock17, Oct 14, 2012
  20. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

Elmer Keith lives on in 2012! :supergrin: