close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Elementary teacher carry in GA

Discussion in 'The Georgia Club' started by hubbard, Jan 4, 2009.

1. hubbard

hubbard

Hello All,
    A hoosier Glocker here whose daughter is an elementary teacher in GA. She has had Indiana carry permit for 5 years.
    Question. If she obtains a GA permit is it LEGAL to leave gun in car in school parking lot in GA?
    Thanks for your help.

2. myglock17

myglock17

Check out this link and it might help you. http://www.georgiapacking.org/law.php

3. hubbard

hubbard

Thanks, myglock17!

4. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Incirlik AB 73 - 75

5. hubbard

hubbard

ok, I have read it and will re-read it. Anything in particular you are concerned about that I might miss?

6. brazen_atl

brazen_atl

She is unable to leave it in her car.
    As a parent, I can carry while in the act of picking my kid up from school. But can not carry to school functions.
    My wife is an elementary school teacher, whenever I go to visit her, I will park down the street outside the NO GUN ZONE and walk.

7. 45er

45er Millennium Member

IANAL
    But reading the code, because she is a teacher at the school in question, according to O.C.G.A 16-11-127.1(c)(17), she is allowed to have it in her vehicle "provided that any such weapon is in a locked compartment of a motor vehicle or one which is in a locked container in or a locked firearms rack which is on a motor vehicle".

http://www.georgiapacking.org/GaCode/?title=16&chapter=11&section=127.1

8. brazen_atl

brazen_atl

Sweet, you learn something new everyday.

9. 45er

45er Millennium Member

Although knowing the left leanings of a lot in education, I would not let it be known. Just because she is legally allowed to have a weapon in her car in a locked container, that still won't help her if someone finds out and her "contract doesn't get renewed". If you know what I mean. Also,if the school resource officer finds out and makes a stink about it she may take a ride due to lack of knowledge of the law.

BTW, I am PRO LEO and PRO Education. My father was an LEO (he recently passed), and my mother is a retired school teacher. I also work for an institute of higher learning, so I am not trying to bash LEOs or School teachers, just trying to stress the fact that it is legal for her to have a weapon locked in her car, but don't tell anyone about it. Kinda like Clinton's Don't ask don't tell policy :whistling:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  10. brazen_atl

brazen_atl

I agree totally, not to bash any group, but unfortunately there are those that are either ignorant of the law or have an agenda against citizens protecting themselves. :faint:
    But yes keep it on the "down low" because in that environment people will tend to think you are a bit off your rocker for being pro 2A.