close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Electronics tecnicians (GS-0856, WG-26XX) - Please help!

Discussion in 'Veteran's Forum' started by grampi, Nov 27, 2004.

1. grampi

grampi

Nov 26, 2004
    If there are any of you in this forum, please respond to this message. I served 22 years active duty in the Air Force and have been seeking federal employment for almost 3 years now as an ET with no luck. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Delta_3_63

Delta_3_63 Another FNG

Dec 30, 2003
    SEMI
    Whereabouts you located grampi? Just a general area so folks know where to look.

3. grampi

grampi

Nov 26, 2004
    Huber Heights, OH (which is near Dayton), but I am willing to relocate for a job if necessary.

4. Ed Ely

Ed Ely Mr. Wonderful

Please go here -

http://www.usajobs.opm.gov/

For info - the Veterans Administration has WGs and GSs.

The WGs carry on as electronics mechanics (they function
    as "doctors" of everything that the ETs can't/won't handle).

The other GSs fall into the ET category. They are bio-
    medical techs and the other are ETs who do what is known
    in the Air Force as 'black box' changers. The latter have
    damn good jobs working in the information services area (computer networking).

All are paid very well and most of the jobs are 8-5, M/F with
    some call back.

The FAA has the most highly paid ETs. Most are GS12-14s, with
    supervisory hitting the GS15. These are technicians, not
    engineers.

What was your career field in the Air Force?

Ed

5. grampi

grampi

Nov 26, 2004
    Let me give you a little of my background. I gained my electronics experience as a 2M0X1, and most of that time was spent in E-lab and VACE.

I'm very familiar with OPM's web site. Im fact, I have an on-line resume posted on their site, as well as on AFPC's site, and the DOC. Over the last 2 1/2 years I have applied for roughly 200 federal jobs and the closest I've come to a job offer was one telephone interview. I've applied for jobs in the following series; 0856, 2602, 2604, 2606, 2608, and 2610.

I also have a 40% disability giving me a 10 point veteran's preference and non-competitve status. However, even this hasn't helped me land a job.

I thought if I could contact someone (outside the work center) having some connection with these positions, it might be possible to find out if my resume might need some tuning up, or if they might have some other usful info that may help me get over that final hump.

As a final note, I thought I'd add that I have been referred to the selecting official for the vast majority of the jobs I've applied for, but for some reason, I just never make it through the final selection phase. This tells me I'm qualified for the positions, but who knows why I'm not being selected. I know this sounds so cleche' and everyone thinks they are the best candidte, but I do have very good qualifications, and I find it hard to believe that in each and every one of the 200 jobs I've applied for, there was always someone who was more qualified. It just seems to me that maybe I've been a victum of the "good ol buddy" system at least a few times anyway.

P.S. I originally intended to hire on with the FAA, but they've had a hiring freeze on their ET poisitons for the last 3 years. I actually spoke to some ET's who work for the FAA about year ago to find out what was going on with these positions. They said the FAA hires contractors to fill ET vacancies when they absolutely need to fill these positions. They haven't hired any new ET's in a long time. Don't know what's going on with this.

6. Ed Ely

Ed Ely Mr. Wonderful

Here is a site for Edwards AFB. Of course you will notice that
    the requirements are for engineers, however, you know as well as
    I, that the engineers do not do the hands on, it is the ETs.

http://careers.edwards.af.mil/docs_html/current_openings/engineers/index.html

Since you are retired Air Force, you should be able to log onto
    'most' of the fed gov's web sites, I am talking about the individual
    sites which are controlled by the gov computors and log on requires
    an access code. They can be granted, but you have to ask for
    permission and await approval as some info is confidential.

Let's talk about your qualifications and the many times that you
    have been passed over. You say that you have a 10-point vets
    preference. That in itself should put you in the top three
    selectees for any position. I am guessing, but I put you at
    maybe 45 years old (+/-) 2 years. I will say this, reguardless
    of the government's position on age discrimination is, they do
    tend to look for younger bodies and pass over the 40+ group.

Hopefully you are aware of the challenge process when you are
    overlooked for a position in which you apply and are not selected.
    You may do so since you are a 10-pointer. The government has to
    provide in writing to you as to why you were not chosen and it
    had better be good cause for them to do so.

If you have been denied a position in the very short past, why
    not give the above suggestion a whirl.

PM or email me if I may be of help. Don't give up, be persistant.

Ed

7. grampi

grampi

Nov 26, 2004
    Ed Ely

I am aware of some type of challenge process, but I don't know anything about the process, How to go about requesting this info, who I need to submit it to, or exactly what info I'm entitled to.

I do know agencies can't legally pass me over because of my age (which BTW, you were right on the money, I'm 46). However, I'm guessing no agency would ever admit to passing someone over because of their age as it would be self incriminating. I'm guessing there's a lot of illegal stuff that goes on during the hiring process, and selecting officials have probably gotten pretty good at covering up their tracks. If there was a way for me to find out why I have been passed over all these times (or for even a portion of the times), there's a good chance a mistake on the part of one the selecting officials could be revealed that shows I was illegally passed over. In such a case, I would seek retrobution in the form of forcing the agency to hire me rather than some type of monetary settlement. I know, this would be considered going to work in an angry hornet's nest, but I'm sure the government has protection laws for employees going into this type of a situation. At least I hope they would.

Are you an ET and/or a federal employee?

8. grampi

grampi

Nov 26, 2004
    I don't think so.

9. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Happy Member

Oct 7, 2000
    Bend Oregon
  10. grampi

grampi

Nov 26, 2004
    How does constantly being laid off and no job security beat just the opposite? That's what I'm looking at in my trade.

11. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Happy Member

Oct 7, 2000
    Bend Oregon
    ...........valid points but you are held back way too much when working for the Gov.

I went through two years of layoffs after I left the Army but all is well now 12 years later. I did a short gig with the Forest Service working on some aircraft and it was by far the worst expierence of my life. They were way worse that the laziest union dolts I worked with at Boeing. I make a bit less now but the working conditions are %100 bettter all around.

IMHO--If you seek job security too hard you will never take the risks it takes to reach your potential. I have taken some big risks but could not be happier with my future job situation now. Never again will I work for the Gov.

best of luck with your search

12. grampi

grampi

Nov 26, 2004
    To each his own I guess. I just think with all the benefits and entitlements I have with the Gov because of my miltary time and my disability status, I'd be foolish not to try to get in. My disability would completely exempt me from being RIF'ed, and it would probably give me preference for lateral and interagency moves. Now if I can just figure out what it takes to get hired......

13. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Happy Member

Oct 7, 2000
    Bend Oregon
    What's your percentage?? I'm at %10 but since being an aircraft mechanic does not require me to run 6 or so miles on the job it's not a problem. You seem to be looking for the job security and all the benifits & entitlements of a gov job.............. but your real potential and earning power is in the private sector.

14. grampi

grampi

Nov 26, 2004
    Check your PM.