close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

electronic scales

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by shotgunred, Oct 26, 2010.

1. shotgunred

shotgunred
    Expand Collapse
    reloading nut

What do you have?
    What do you like?
    Who has the best deal on one?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams
    Expand Collapse

Here is what I have. It is not a good reloading scale, but it works for me, and the price is right ($50 MSRP, $40 retail).

[​IMG]

3. Bello

Bello
    Expand Collapse
    America/Italia

[​IMG]

i have this scale which i got from brianenos.com its pretty damn good and accurate after its been on a few minutes. i found it way cheaper on uniquetek. like 20 bucks less then enos i was kinda upset but whatever also it comes with a 20 year warranty from the factory so i thought it was a steal! i give it a 9 out of 10 imho. same as box i also have two beam scales a decent lee that gives me no problems and a dillon beam this scale wanders on start up but you have to let them get a lil warm or leave them on a few mins then this thing is on par with my beam scales as stated before awesome run on sentence huh?

#3 Bello, Oct 26, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  4. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker
    Expand Collapse
    Jacks #1 Fan

I have the Dillon D-Terminator Electronic Scale actually bought it from Cabelas when the offered on of those get $20 off a purchase of $120.
    Ordered a case for it later when I needed some odds and ends from Dillon.
    It's a "great" scale... I mentioned before in other post that I had it tested at our calibration lab at work. It's considered on PAR and could easily be certified for aerospace use. I have a set of check weights to verify once in a while but honestly haven't really needed to much.
    I know all the Beam scale proponets will chime in, and say... batteries, wanders, I don't trust them, la di da.... it works and well....
    I have a beam for back-up (used Dillon) but other than checking it out once in a while never use it. It's boxed up somewhere.

5. GioaJack

GioaJack
    Expand Collapse
    Conifer Jack

I've only had two scales, (still have both) in over 45 years. An Ohaus beam and a RCBS digital that is about 12-15 years old.

The RCBS doesn't even have a number on it but has two check weights, no battery option and the sticker on the bottom of it says 'Manufactured by PACT'.

Don't really need either one, I just cram as much powder into a case as I can then hammer a bullet on top of it. One of these days I'll get around to reading that manual.

Jack

6. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

Cheap digital scale are just that for the most part. I haven't seen one yet under $100 that works well. I also have a D-Term from Dillon, always zeros quickly & holds zero throughout the reloading session. Always accurate too. I also hear the RCBS is of sim quality, but won't trust the cheaper models I have seen. PRobably why Lee doesn't make a digital scale.:rofl:

#6 fredj338, Oct 26, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  7. njl

njl
    Expand Collapse

I have a Lyman XP1000. I'm seriously leaning towards buying a beam scale...but might roll the dice again with electric and try a Jennings. My lyman drifts, needs frequent recalibration, and sometimes I put powder on it, and get no reading at all. I guess I'm lucky I haven't blown up a gun yet with it.

8. PCJim

PCJim
    Expand Collapse

Whatever you decide, do not get the $30 FA scale from MidwayUSA. You'd be better off giving the funds to that fella on the curb outside the local QuikMart.

9. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel
    Expand Collapse

10. FLSlim

FLSlim
    Expand Collapse

Dillon D-term has been excellent for me. I tried an inexpensive scale some time ago and just couldn't depend on it. I wouldn't use it without going back to my beam scale to verify--so why bother in the first place.

11. ron59

ron59
    Expand Collapse
    Bustin Caps

Fred.

The scale that Bello showed is *recommended* by BE... that was enough for me. I bought mine through UniqueTek, who also sells quality products. I have the Dillon beam scale, but think this little digital does a much better job.

I will eventually buy a more expensive digital scale, but this thing is pretty dang good.

#11 ron59, Oct 27, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  12. njl

njl
    Expand Collapse

I did some loading last night and the Lyman was just about as freaky as ever. I think I was loading 4.4gr Universal...but who knows. It really pisses me off when I crank the powder measure lower (I have one of those Home Depot dials on it and clearly marked which way is more powder, so I know I wasn't turning it the wrong way) and the scale says my charges are getting heavier.

I ordered a Dillon beam scale from Brian Enos last night.

Anyone want to buy a lightly used Lyman XP1000? Damn thing is out of warranty...so sending it back to Lyman is out.

This thing is fine for differentiating 115gr bullets from 124gr, but I don't trust it any more for weighing small numbers of grains for powder charges.

I've tried using it on just a fresh 9V battery, just the AC adapter, and with both. It doesn't seem to make any difference.

13. Big Bore Fan

Big Bore Fan
    Expand Collapse

I've been using the Dillon Terminator sence early summer and it's been great. This is my first scale and was a little worried because of all the horrer stories I've read on here about digital scales, but the Dillon has been 100%. I've neaver had any problems with temp. change and I alwas use cheak weights before I start loading. I even heard someone say you need a dedicated power line for digital scales. I have the scale a radio and a window a/c unit all pluged into the same surge protector and it's been fine.

14. gforester

gforester
    Expand Collapse
    Motorhead

I picked up one of these and it works great!

[​IMG]

Midway sells them for about $130.

15. GioaJack

GioaJack
    Expand Collapse
    Conifer Jack

My RCBS, (made by PACT), is very similar to this one with the exception of the pan being metal and shaped different and the entire thing being RCBS green.

It would appear the price has come down over the years but it still works as good as the day it was new.

Jack

16. gforester

gforester
    Expand Collapse
    Motorhead

Jack,
    I liked the shape of the powder pan that came with it. I hated that it was plastic. Static tends to make powder adhere to the sides from time to time. I swapped the pan out for the metal one that came with my Hornady scale. I think I am going to look for a different pan for it.

#16 gforester, Oct 27, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  17. GioaJack

GioaJack
    Expand Collapse
    Conifer Jack

If life was perfect I'd wake up with Heather Locklear and Jessica Alba in my bed every morning... but sometimes ya just gotta roll with the flow.

Try wiping the plastic pan with a static cling dryer sheet every once in a while. Should do away with the problem. The shape actually looks pretty good, I like the fact that it appears to be deeper than the metal pans I've had... may help keep powder from bouncing out when you drop a charge directly into the pan. :dunno:

Jack

18. Crimp

Crimp
    Expand Collapse

I made a special trip (2 hours) to my nearest Cabela's to pick up one of their $80.00 XT-1500 loading scales:

[​IMG]

This comes in a really nice package with calibration weights and weighs items really well and accurately. It uses batteries or AC. The one problem is, this scale doesn't read correctly when you're trickling powder into the pan!

For instance, you can put a scoop of powder in the pan, then start trickling to get your desired weight. If you trickle really slowly, the scales don't indicate a weight increase at all! I found I could completely load up the pan and the scales weight never changed.

I believe what happens is that the scale continually checks and re-zeros unless there is a notable increase of weight placed on the pan. I also believe many of the cheaper scales do the same thing, so if you want to buy one, you need to check out whether it will allow trickling of powder.

If all you're concerned with is to check a thrown weight, then they would probably be OK. If you want to replace a beam scale and use it for weighing trickled loads, forget it.

Even though I really liked this scale and wanted it to work, I made another special trip to Cabela's and returned it.

19. Bob2223

Bob2223
    Expand Collapse
    Jack's buddy!

Used to think I wanted a fancy high tech electric scale but I think I'm over it.

The old 505 still works.

Bob

20. PCJim

PCJim
    Expand Collapse

^ what he said....