close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Electronic cigarettes?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Glock&KimberLady, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Glock&KimberLady

Glock&KimberLady Morior Invictus

Jul 3, 2001
    SoCal->NoID->NoVA
    Savd me from a 1.5 pack a day habit since November 2, 2011. Cheaper, and I used flavored juice.

Anyone else use these?

Many upsides...less cost, no cig stink on clothes/hair/breath/car, can breathe better (I'm at 6mg nicotine, about half of an ultralight cig) no freezing my hands off at 6000 feet while snowboarding (or on my deck in February), feel better, get sick less often, can grab a discreet hit in theater/plane/long doc office wait without going outside or jit-fitting, no lighter needed, on and on...

Downside...batteries going dead and having to explain that no, this is not a sneak-a-toke and no, you may not have a hit because no, this is not a sneak-a-toke!!!

2. GMAN12

GMAN12

Sep 7, 2009
    S. E. Mich.
    I have been thinking about trying one, what brand is yours?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012

3. JBnTX

JBnTX Texas

Aug 28, 2008
    Texas
    ...and the non-smoking world thanks you very much.:bowdown:

4. jhoagland

jhoagland That's right! Lifetime Member

May 4, 2007
    south carolina
    Good to see you back and congratz on the smoking thing!

5. automatic slim

automatic slim Walmart Shopper

May 28, 2007
    Disputed Territory
    I just can't get into it, tried. I've rolled my own American Spirit for about 10 years, with filters, and I have to say that I actually enjoy smoking. It doesn't stink as bad as factory cigs, and they go out when you put them down.

The E-Cigs, I just don't know what it is that I'm "smoking". It seems to take away the enjoyment. I'm waiting for the news to come out that they're even worse for you than tobacco.

....Plus, how can you piss off smoke-nazis if they can't smell it?
    :tongueout:

6. Glock&KimberLady

Jul 3, 2001
    SoCal->NoID->NoVA
    I don't buy the branded ones these days...I buy the batteries, cartridges, and e-liquid from different vendors.

If you want to try something that is simple, no-frills, and easy to start with, www.smoketip.com has the standard KR808-d1 batteries and prefilled "cartomizers" (cartridges with an atomizer attached, disposable)

Try the vanilla cartos...eventually you won't be able to use anything that tastes like tobacco.

@automatic: One of the main reasons I went to digicigs is because I spend a substantial portion of my time at altitude in winter. I can feel a definite difference in 'vaping' vs smoking when snowboarding or up on the mountain (or riding my dirtbike, or painting the deck, or navigating the stairs at my house all.day.long). Don't get me wrong, I smoked American Spirit yellows for YEARS, just figured it was time for a change.

7. GRIMLET

GRIMLET Deceased

Dec 29, 2011
    I always thought they looked ghey but if someone is trying to quit, I say go for it. And thanks for not lighting up around me.

Please explain how they work. I see on here they have different blends and amounts of nicotine?

8. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

Apr 22, 2007
    North Idaho
    You can quit the day you get one, just don't buy a cheapo unit and you won't get frustrated with it. I bought the best one I could get and love it. You can start with extra high nictotine and every other month just step down the nicotine until your body naturally weans itself from it and you grow bored with it. Personally I find there is nothing better than the Silver Bullet from www.altsmoke.com and the Liquinator PHAT tank from www.vaporessence.com The tank allows you to use low resistance dual coil cartomizers for warmer vape and the ability to just fill the tank up wtih 5.5ml of juice and go for a week without having to fill anything, it also uses 18650 rechargeable batteries. It's big, but it's awesome.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  9. Glock&KimberLady

Jul 3, 2001
    SoCal->NoID->NoVA
    You can start with super high nicotine (32mg) and work your way down to 0mg if you have issues with hand-to-mouth (my main problem).

People just starting out usually use tobacco blend flavors, and then some get weird like me. I'm currently vaping, alternately, a sugar cookie flavor and a SweeTarts flavor. There's some amazing stuff out there.

Basically the e-liquid ("juice") is a mix of propylene glycol (the stuff used in inhalers), sometimes vegetable glycerin, and flavoring. When you inhale, the battery powers the atomizer ("atty" or the atomizer that is combined with the cartridge "cartomizer") which warms up and atomizes a small bit of the liquid, which is inhaled. When exhaled, the output is actually water vapor. No nicotine is emitted when you exhale, it is all absorbed by your lungs.

Have they done in-depth studies? Yes. Are there studies on the long-term? No. Do I feel better using these? Absolutely.
    \
    As far as people around me, if you hold the "hit" long enough, the water vapor mist is absorbed by your lungs and you smell/see nothing. Sometimes people will get a faint whiff of what I'm vaping (be it vanilla or cotton candy or whatever). I use a blue-LED-tipped battery so there's no mistaking that I'm not "smoking".

My biggest issue with smoking has never been nicotine or "jit fitting"...it's having something to do with my hands/mouth, especially when I'm bored. That's why I can alternate between 6mg and 0mg, because the hand-to-mouth habit has been shown to be just as - if not more - addictive than the nicotine drug reliance.

Oh, and the fun part? ATF cannot regulate these because they do *not* have tobacco in them, and FDA cannot regulate because they are not medical devices and aren't intended to diagnose, treat, cure blahblahblah a nicotine addiction. Naturally, lawmakers are going nuts about them and doing everything they can to regulate them (*SIGH*), keep them out of kids' hands (which I heartily agree with).

Big downside...cartos and batteries are made pretty much exclusively in China, so quality control can suck. I get my liquid made in USA by a nice couple in Wisconsin, so I can at least control where the solution that goes into my lungs is made. I get a bad cartomizer maybe 1 out of 20, but it's a fair trade overall.

10. GRIMLET

GRIMLET Deceased

Dec 29, 2011
    Ok. It seems it would be effective for reducing addiction to nicotine.

Once that is over, what is the plan for the hand mouth thing?
    I would guess chewing a straw or eating hard candy?

I love the terms, vaping, juice.
    I bet someone now is attempting to mix a blend with synthetic drugs.
    Hahhahaha

11. MrKandiyohi

MrKandiyohi Millennium Member

Feb 9, 1999
    Minnesota
    Your lungs are thanking you. Good job.

Now just kick the HtM addiction, and your bank account will thank you even more.

12. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

Apr 22, 2007
    North Idaho
    Another nice thing is, no stink. You can take a couple quick tokes and the fix is in, no need to puff 20 times.

13. I have been using a joy 510 for almost 3 years now. I still smoke very rarely. Since February i have had about 15 regular cigs. Regular cigs are not as enjoyable for me. I use them when out at the bar or somewhere i don't feel like explaining that no I'm not smoking weed like you stated. Lol

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

14. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Outside the perimeter
    Addictions are interesting things. Societal attitudes to addictions are even more so. Who cares about someone using nicotine, especially if they do it in a manner that lets them "keep it to themselves"? I wonder how long before the nanny state comes after this form of nicotine delivery.

15. GRIMLET

GRIMLET Deceased

Dec 29, 2011
    I'm all for that. Personal responsibility. Unfortunately, smoking causes problems for others in the vicinity.
    I prefer non smoking restaurants. That's just me. I don't want to infringe upon anyones decision to smoke, I just don't want to smell like an ash tray or develop issues due to second hand smoke.

16. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Outside the perimeter
    Does smoking these "electronic cigarettes" cause problems for others in the vicinity? I don't know, but it's logical that exhaling would expose them.

17. GRIMLET

GRIMLET Deceased

Dec 29, 2011
    I have been around a coworker a couple if times using this. It had no odor I could tell and I dont know about inhalation of anything.

They are very nonoffensive to me.

18. happy seal

happy seal

Apr 12, 2007
    Connecticut

Why not just buck up and quit all of it? :dunno:

19. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

Oct 25, 2008
    OP: Well done sir!

Ecig is no more offensive than someone sucking on a Tootsie pop.

Edit: Sorry GKL, must have forgotten who started the thread, didn't mean anything by saying sir. :eek:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014