close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Electic cars have twice the global warming of internal combustion cars

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by cowboy1964, Oct 5, 2012.

1. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
  2. callihan_44

callihan_44 INFIDEL

Aug 19, 2010
    Flyover,USA
    doesnt matter, it makes libs "FEEEEL" better about themselves....

3. JBnTX

JBnTX Bible Thumper

Aug 28, 2008
    Fort Worth Texas
  4. aircarver

aircarver Ride Continues Silver Member

Assuming there was 'global warming' ......:upeyes:

5. Gundude

Gundude

Mar 7, 2003
    Exactly, it's like airport security. It doesn't address the problem at hand, but its mere presence makes people feel better that "something is being done".

6. JFrame

JFrame

May 29, 2001
    Mid-Atlantic, US of A
    Ah...The wonderfully predictable consequences of imposing a political agenda on practical realities...

7. jeepinbandit

jeepinbandit Sgt. USMC

Dec 27, 2007
    NAS Fort Worth JRB
    I could have told them that when the cars were on the drawing board. :/

8. OctoberRust

OctoberRust Anti-Federalist

Jun 15, 2011
    Texas
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he sure made up global warming. :supergrin:

9. ModGlock17

ModGlock17

Dec 18, 2010
    DisneyWorld
    Having spend some part of my technical career on this, I can tell you that PURE electric vehicles are not all that practical (limited range, etc.) and because you are starting to get so many electrical "toys" in the vehicle (GPS, Phone, Guidance System, ABS, Stability Systems,etc. all of which consume electrical energy). I forgot the figure now, but you'd need huge amount of kilowatt-hours just to keep these electronics working.

Pure EVs are viable in an on-campus setting, dashing among buildings. But not beyond.

Everybody in the business knew that. What makes electric drives viable in vehicles, is when you combine them with combustion engines, hence the term HYBRID electric. That, is viable and a good idea.

I can also tell you that I drive hybrids EVs, not because it saves gas by using it more efficiently, but because it is great fun to drive, in term of response and torque. When you press the gas pedal, you'd get immediate power coming from the electric drive. That makes the cars responsive, and quicker than any combustion-only cars.

And Yes, after 150,000 miles in each vehicle, I still have the original brake pads in them cars !

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  10. Gundude

Gundude

Mar 7, 2003
    They're also great for sneaking up on people. I heard they have to emit fake engine noise now in order to prevent that, but I'm sure that can be disconnected.

11. QNman

QNman resU deretsigeR Silver Member

Oct 5, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    Liberals apparently think power comes out of their receptacles by either wind power or magic fairy dust... Not to mention what happens when you get in an accident, and burst all the highly toxic chemicals in those batteries into the ground.

12. QNman

Oct 5, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    Meh... I'll race you in my little turbocharged four-banger. :supergrin:

Seriously though, I really like the idea of hybrids. And when they get more into cars that I both like (stylistically) and in my price zone, I'll buy one. And I believe it WILL get there.

13. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc MAJ (USA Ret.)

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
  14. QNman

Oct 5, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    They had those for a long time... the earliest ones had to ride on rails. :whistling:

:supergrin:

15. jeanderson

jeanderson Toga!... Toga! Platinum Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Ohio
    They are here now. On average, an electric car is 50% coal powered, as about 50% of our electricity comes from coal-fired power plants.

The global warming idiots just don't get this.

16. ModGlock17

ModGlock17

Dec 18, 2010
    DisneyWorld
    The Amish buggies has coal stove inside passenger cabin. I guess they have larger carbon footprint than a Cadillac.
    :rofl:

17. marchboom

marchboom

Aug 18, 2006
    Idaho
    How will people charge their electric cars after obama closes down everything coal related?

These democrats, they don't think very well, do they?

18. BORNGEARHEAD

BORNGEARHEAD

Mar 3, 2010
    “Our results clearly indicate that it is counterproductive to promote EVs in areas where electricity is primarily produced from lignite, coal, or even heavy oil combustion.”

So they are only counterproductive because we are still using coal? Then get off the dirty coal and get more wind and solar for power. Article must have been written by an oil man.

19. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    Given how effective and efficient solar and wind power are, I just can't imagine why someone would bother to tell the truth about what the cars amount to in this reality. Yup must be an oilman

:upeyes:

20. JFrame

JFrame

May 29, 2001
    Mid-Atlantic, US of A

I think we are butting up against a generation that believes dilithium crystals are for real.