close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

El Paso School District ousts bad students.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by eracer, Oct 3, 2012.

1. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

2. jollygreen

jollygreen

I'm curious, but don't they just fail these underperformers any more?

3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

So, Superintendent Lorenzo Garcia wanted to remove non-performers from the schools and he got lambasted for it?

The man should get a freakin' medal and his modus operandi should be applied across the nation.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  4. Paul53

Paul53 Geezer Boomer

Schools in TX are rated and funded based academic performance of students. If a student flunks/fails it's counted against that school. But if a student takes a hint and stops coming to school, no penalty.

5. DaneA

DaneA

Nope... "No Child Left Behind" No Matter How Dumb They Are.
    Thank GW for that one.

6. Brucev

Brucev

Sounds like the criminal fraud charges are well founded. Hopefully they will actually end up doing time in prison.

7. JW1178

JW1178

I don't quite know what to say except I remember back in school how there were a few kids that were nothing but troublemakers and problems and it would have been best if the school had just ousted them and could have solved a whole lot of problems.

I later went to an open campus high school and the teacher could make you leave for just about any reason. I'll tell you this, it's a totally different envirerment from a regular high school. Kind of like a college, the class size is usually about 1/3 the size at the last day of the semester as the first. What is odd is how 99% of us were the one's that were basically rejected from the regular system and were doing poorly, went to this school and turned around.

8. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

So, once again, the man convinces the ne'er-do-well to GTFO so that they wouldn't drain on the system any more. He should get a freakin' medal.

9. Sharkey

Sharkey

A dirty lil' secret is that ISDs keep a log of average daily attendance (ADA) Those percentages determine to some extent how much money they get from the Feds.

The reality is that school has changed immensely since I graduated in 87. If you have excessive unexcused absences and/or can't pass your classes, you really should be taken out of school so as not to be a drain on the system.

Where I am at, the judge orders you out of school, orders you to get a GED, and find a job. You have to be at least 16. If you are under age, you get placed in a special school program, and/or you and your parents get hit with a hefty fine.

First off, I don't have kids so I don't know why I have to fund a school district but if I had kids, why would I want them going to school with a bunch of morons that don't give a rat's ass and their parents that care even less?

Kudos to him. This next generation is gonna suck. I guess that is why a lot of people vote to be a ward of the state.

10. devildog2067

devildog2067

This is actually an interesting question with an interesting answer.

You fund a school district, even though you don't have kids, because you depend on people of all ages to provide the services that you rely on to live in the US and do your job.

You may not have kids, but unless there *are* kids, you won't have the constant stream of 18 year olds who grow up and enlist in the military. Without those kids, the US wouldn't have a military. Those kids need to have an education.

Now, whether the school districts are funded in the right way, or if you should be paying through taxes, that's a hard question. But the idea that because you don't have kids, you shouldn't have to care about the issue doesn't make sense. You may not have kids, but our society depends on having a distribution of ages.

11. lwt210

lwt210

Apparently, they don't and have the entire grading system fixed to where you can't lose.

My son has always made straight As and is in middle school now. Has all advanced classes. I figured that this would be the year that I see a B on his report card as his schedule is thick with work.

He comes home and tells me that he blew a science test. He wasn't using good time management and studied for other things that are in the future rather than the science test that was the next day. I tell him not to be too upset when he sees that C on his progress report and that he has plenty of time to bring it up. That was his first test in science for the year and that his homework grade will off set it a bit.

Progress report comes before test number two. His grade? Low A.

No way he earned an A. I took his homework grades which were all 100s and averaged that in with the other grade. Low B was the result.

For some reason, all the homework grades counted as much as the test did. Not the average of them....all of them.

Of course he is happy with the grade but has he earned it? Not in my book.

It isn't so much about education anymore than making those stats school wide. That seems to be the focus and I assume that the reason for that is federal dollars and No Child Left Behind nonsense.

12. kensb2

kensb2 pistol n00b

Wow. I find myself agreeing whole-heartedly with FF on this one. I have a 12 y/o in 7th grade, that has basically been a straight A student to this point. He says his advanced classes this year are still unchallenging to him. Why would I want his school to keep kids that are always late/absent? If the parents don't care, don't make my child suffer for it.

13. Sharkey

Sharkey

I've heard the argument before. I'm not against kids or them getting an education but if I have made a decision not to have kids, I shouldn't pay for others education. As for fostering an "environment" to have kids, I think the tax breaks families get is good enough.

It's a weak argument at best. I'll pay into SS and will doubtfully ever see it. I do care about the issue, I just don't want to pay for a system I don't use, a system that is grossly mismanaged and mis-funded. The whole idea of creating a Dept. of Edu. with states sending money to the Feds so they can redistribute it as they see fit (after taking their cut) is ridiculous.

14. devildog2067

devildog2067

Should you also then not benefit from their services?

You depend on, and will depend on in the future, the services of folks younger than you. By paying for (a tiny bit of) their education now, you're ensuring that there will be a young doctor around when you're old and you need one.

You pay for things you don't do all the time. You fund science research with your tax dollars. You pay for police services you probably don't use much. You buy insurance.

You do those things because without them, our society wouldn't exist. Educated kids are in the same category.

I agree. I never said that I think the current system works well.

15. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Big, educated kitty cat!

I have no problem with tossing the illegals and troublemakers, but just because a kid is running behind is no reason to toss him out. When I went to school if you didn't pass, you took the class again. That never happened to me fortunately.

Up until 9th grade (when the curriculum became more individualized) when I was in school the kids were segregated by test scores. The top 20% were in one group, the next 20% in the next group, and on down the line. I have no idea if that happens now or not.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  16. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

When they don't bother to show up in school or tardy all the time, then they need to get dropped like it's hot (to quote Snoop Doggy Dog).

17. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Big, educated kitty cat!

I would lump those in with the troublemakers.

18. Gino

Gino Millennium Member

Yep, this is an unintentional consequence of the NCLB Act. Schools are now graded based on their graduation rate. Guess what? That means that schools now do everything in their power to keep every kid in school, including the bad ones.

Thank you G.W.Bush, may you rot in hell. I consider him to be the worst president in my lifetime.

I am a 25 year teacher and I'll tell you that the NCLB Act has done more damage to our school system than any other five things currently ruining our school system.