close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

El Cheapo first bike

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by aaronrkelly, Aug 8, 2007.

1. aaronrkelly

aaronrkelly
    Expand Collapse

I bought my first motorycle today....just something to scoot around on and get used to 2 wheels.

1980 KZ1000 - paid $900 for it with 18K miles.

[​IMG]

I have an appt on Wednesday to get an exhaust leak fixed (one of the studs is stripped out so it needs tapped) and a new rear tire (more worn than I would like).

After that and an oil change she should be good to go.

Has far more power then I expected from an old bike, plenty enough to haul me around.

It may not be new or fancy....but its paid for.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. whogasak47

whogasak47
    Expand Collapse
    JPFO-GOA

for less than $1500. you have a good scoot. Good Luck And Ride Safe:thumbsup:

3. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter
    Expand Collapse

OH hell yes! That bike can chug aroud with ease, or haul butt if you want. Put some good treads on it, and you'll be surprised.

I'd also recommend bleeding and changing the brake fluid.

You've got a very good and capable motorcycle there, and the price was right too. Congrats!

Have you tried kickstarting it yet?

4. aaronrkelly

aaronrkelly
    Expand Collapse

No, is their more to it then Im thinking.....

5. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter
    Expand Collapse

I have no clue. There's something kinda sinister about a 1000cc mill mated to a kickstarter though.... :thumbsup:

6. michael t

michael t
    Expand Collapse

They used to scoot pretty quick . With 18000 miles Might be a real suprise:banana:
    Nice buy check chain and sprockets also. I agree with changing brake fluid.

7. aaronrkelly

aaronrkelly
    Expand Collapse

I tried it for giggles.....turns over hard. I never did get it successfully started. Perhaps if I was going to be stranded somewhere I could kick harder....but in the 90 degree heat the starter button was calling my name.

8. ndbullet500

ndbullet500
    Expand Collapse
    Unmutual

I'm not an expert on kz1000s by any means, but I have owned a 74 kz400 (what can I say, I like verticle twins) and picked up a bit about the bigger Kwaks along the way.

A KZ1000 is not a little scoot-about old sled. Some of them put out around 100hp in the late 70s early 80s. That's not far off many modern 600 sportbikes. But heavier and with less capable brakes and chassis. I've only ridden one Z1, and it was pretty damn fast once you got it spinning.

Just keep in mind that you have MORE than enough power to get into a dicey situation pretty quickly on that bike.

Oh, and I like it. :thumbsup:

9. tehan2

tehan2
    Expand Collapse
    NRA & GOAL

Tuned properly (play with the timing a bit)it's not bad. My 95pound wife use to kick start my shovelhead and ironhead harleys. There were times that people would give her a standing ovation because she would kick them over with one kick. Now that we are a little older the push button works easier.

10. epsylum

epsylum
    Expand Collapse
    Boolit Hoze

BTW that 1000cc can become 1800cc+ if you have the cash. ;)

The KZ 900 and up and the GS 1000 and up are still some of the most popular drag bikes around. They use roller bearing cranks and have a crap load of metal in the engine that can be milled out. They weigh a ton, but are built like tanks.

BTW I very much like it :thumbsup:

11. aaronrkelly

aaronrkelly
    Expand Collapse

Ive read the 1980 KZ1000 was rated at a VERY conservative 85hp and it was really more like 100hp or so. I dont doubt it, I dont get to crazy on it with my limited motorcycle riding experience but I knows its there. The throttle is really responsive. So far I like it. I took my wife for a ride around today....with my large ass and hers on there it was quite a load but no issues with power......just shock travel.

12. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs
    Expand Collapse
    Nerd

That's a beautiful old "classic sportbike" you've got, a bargain at the price you paid. Quite alot of engine for a beginner, be careful! I'd also recommend you keep it for a very long time rather than ever sell/trade.

13. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs
    Expand Collapse
    Nerd

...and personally I'd replace both tires with modern radials. Just looking your front (outdated tread pattern and probably hard rubber compound), I'd guess you'd gain lots of braking and handling capability with a set of radials.

14. aaronrkelly

aaronrkelly
    Expand Collapse

Have an appt on Wednesday to get a few issues looked at as well as a new rear tire, Dunlop I believe was the brand they recommended. Hadnt paid much attention to the front tire, just made sure there was plenty of tread left....and there was. Guess I never thought about it much.

15. spober

spober
    Expand Collapse

man i love the sound of a 4 cylinder aircooled 4 into one header at 9000 RPM!.one of the great internal combustion engine sounds

16. aaronrkelly

aaronrkelly
    Expand Collapse

Its not that bad when your on the bike.....but it has no baffles or anything, its a loud sum-a-beach. I wish it was a little quieter. The carbs have also not been adjusted for the lack of exhaust.....it runs a little lean, might foul a plug occasionally but so far no problems.

17. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs
    Expand Collapse
    Nerd

Here's a pic of AMA Superbike Champ Eddie Lawson racing his 1982 KZ1000.

18. epsylum

epsylum
    Expand Collapse
    Boolit Hoze

KZs with a megaphone exhaust (like a Vance & Hines sidewinder) may be louder than hell, but DAMN they sound good.

19. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter
    Expand Collapse

Here's a red Eddie Lawson replica 2004 ZRX1200R (owned by a fellow Kawa rider) ;)

[​IMG]

20. JimK

JimK
    Expand Collapse

Looks pretty good for a 1980 . If it runs half as good then you you did good for a lot less $$$$$$$$ than most here have spent on their rides . Just be careful and always respect those cages out there.And have fun!