close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Ek Knives

Discussion in 'The Cutting Edge' started by Bren, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Anybody a fan of Ek? I am not a collector and would never spend big bucks on a knife, but I have been interested in Ek Knives since I was a teenager reading Soldier of Fortune in the 70's.

I recently came across a couple of Bargains on a bare and unmarked Ek Model 2 Blade ($20 on Ebay because the guy didn't mention "Ek" in the title) and an Ek Model 5 with the blued blade and brass guard from Effingham. I'll probably take one or the other on my next deployment. I'd love to hit a good bargain on a Richmond, VA Ek.

2. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Oct 3, 2000
    Lakeland, FL.

I'd love a number four or the new Sykes Fairbairn.

I'm contemplating selling off one of my custom BHK's and a collector fixed blade from LT Wright to fund one.

GT user Fox I believe has quite a few.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013

3. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

Jan 26, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Yup, I'm a big fan. My only Ek, is a Commando which I picked up on a closeout (way back when). It is a very nice part of my collection.

4. wespainter

wespainter

Oct 18, 2011
    I've been a big fan of EK knives since the 1970s. I currently own about 9 of them (all 70s vintage). Watch out for fakes/copies. Did the $20 No. 2 from eBay turn out to be a genuine EK?

5. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Best I can tell. Research says that Blackjack sold off a bunch of blades to Numrich/Gun parts Corp. when they quit making Ek. The seller said it came from a "freight auction." All of the dimensions are correct (length.width,thickness,holes and spacing, etc.) and the edge and steel quality appear to be.

I'd like to have one from Richmond, just because carrying a knife made in Illinois can't be good luck, but my knives are for use, so getting them at a bargain price is a plus. I got a Camillus M3 trench knife sheath for the model 4 and I got micarta grips and X-fasteners from Ek, but ended up just wrapping it in paracord.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  6. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

Jan 26, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    That's the way Ek did the handle on my Commando. I like the feel of it.

7. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Oct 3, 2000
    Lakeland, FL.

That's a hell of a deal then. Post up some pics if you get a chance.

8. Fox

Fox Varmit Control

Nov 7, 2001
    USA
    [​IMG]

I am partial to the Model 1 Commando Knife. I have background in stick fighting and I prefer to not have the handguard. I should start producing some knife fighting videos.

BTW, that is a Randall Model 1 - 7" and all these blades were shipped to me in Afghanistan from the manufacturers. They all ship to APO addresses. Randall normally has a five year waiting period, but they have standard military models that will get to military orders in like five weeks. I got mine in less than three weeks.
    The LaGana VTAC tomahawk was given to an Afghan policeman because I had immediate buyers remorse upon delivery. It's useless!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  9. Fox

Fox Varmit Control

Nov 7, 2001
    USA
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIqnT8pJFz0&feature=share&list=UUHtV2SyGzgGu95jDSIZRCCQ"]Ek Model 1 Commando Knife - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRkmqSCKPl8&feature=share&list=UUHtV2SyGzgGu95jDSIZRCCQ"]LaGana VTAC Tomahawk - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZdq8Rk75M8&feature=share&list=UUHtV2SyGzgGu95jDSIZRCCQ"]Randall Model 1 - 7" fighting knife - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp2um8NIYUc&feature=share&list=UUHtV2SyGzgGu95jDSIZRCCQ"]Randall Model 2 Fighting Stiletto - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  10. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    A Randall would be nice. I used to live in the same neighborhood with them, in Orlando. I have been over to their estate/museum/workshop. It was pretty cool, but I have never owned one of their knives,

11. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Here are my knives - as I said, I'd never pay the full price for a new Ek or anything collectible, but these will do for use. The top one, with the black/blued blade is the one I got at the gunshow for $40. It is unmarked, but the handle wrap, dimensions, quality and sheath all look like Ek and I have seen several unmarked Effingham/Blackjack Eks like it.

The second one is the one I bought as a bare blade, put on an Ek crossguard and wrapped the grip. The wrap is a little sloppy, so I may re-wrap it. The sheath is a Camillus for an M3 trench knife, but I will probably take it to Afghanistan with me in a Ka bar sheath that has MOLLE attachments.

[​IMG]

Now I have these 2 and a Becker BK2 I'd like to take with me. On the other hand, I don't need any large knife and I don't want to look like the Air Force kid I saw in Bagram, in a Dfac, with a knife on his belt, one on the off side of his shoulder holster, one on his leg and a machete across his back (I hope he was doing it as a joke). Maybe I'll rotate which on goes on my OTV every couple of months.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013