close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Effectiveness of 147gr Winchester Silvertip JHP?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by betyourlife, Jun 7, 2010.

1. betyourlife

betyourlife on a GLOCK

May 10, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Anyone have any credible information on the effectiveness of the Winchester 147gr Silvetip JHP?

We all know that the 115gr did well in shootings, with a few reported underpenetration issues due to it's rapid expansion.

It would seem to me that the 147gr JHP would do rather well. According to info I found on the web (with unknown credibility), the 147gr silvertip did rather well in shootings, resulting in 80+% "one shot stops".

2. Dave T

Dave T

Jan 5, 2000
    Mesa,Arizona,USA
    Winchester's Silvertip is a very old technology (bullet design) dating back to at least the 1980s. There are any number of better designed bullets on the market today. Speer's Golddot and the Winchester Ranger T comes to mind...since I have them on the ammo shelf.

Dave

3. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    Many folks blame the 115gr Silvertip for not penetrating enough to kill Platt during the Miami FBI shootout... I believe it stopped an inch or so from his heart.

I'm curious why you're asking? There's a lot of self defense rounds out there, and the Silvertip is a very old design(I don't even think I ever see them for sale here anymore).... You were just looking to sell some WWB JHP's... and now you're looking at Silvertips? Lot better options out there... PDX1, Gold Dot... and those are if you don't want to internet order.

Are you having some sort of issue finding carry ammo, or am I just missing something?

IGF

4. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Jan 24, 2004
    +1, but......

I liked it when I did gel tests on it.
    I never liked the 115gr. It expanded to quickly, IMHO.

This being said, I am a 147gr person.

Now that I think about it, my 92FS mags (in storage), might still be loaded with 147gr Silver tips. That or 147gr XTPs.

5. betyourlife

betyourlife on a GLOCK

May 10, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Guys, I have TONS of premium JHP's, I was just asking. As old as it is, it is selling for more than today's premium JHP's for a reason.

I sold a little bit of my wwb 147gr but I still carry it from time to time as I like it. It penetrates deep and still expands. Most importantly, it is accurate, more accurate than anything else I've tried.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  6. hotpig

hotpig IAFF Local 4766 CLM

Silver tips are still one of Winchester top of the line personal Protection rounds. It still has a following even though there are other options available.

7. RWBlue

Jan 24, 2004
    Are you comparing 115gr bullets to 147gr bullets? The 147gr bullets always sell for more.

Personal protection carry round decision is very personal. By that I mean that once someone has made a decision they tend to stick with it until something better comes along. I had Black Talons in one of my guns for years. When my supply started to run low, I had to research what I wanted to use. If I had been able to buy more BT I would have. I think people who at set on ST will continue to use them until Winchester stops making them.

8. betyourlife

betyourlife on a GLOCK

May 10, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Either of their 115 or 147gr loads sell for more than todays premium JHP's.

The thread was about their effectiveness.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  9. BOGE

BOGE Millennium Member

Mar 21, 1999
    The current version of the ST has been carefully redesigned. Most posters here know nothing of that as it´s not a round used by many LEO`s. In it´s current MODERN incarnation it is indeed wicked.

Here´s a test of the current version of the 115 gr. ST using the FBI standard four denim test. Sorry but I don`t subscribe to shooting Aqua Man or Ma Bell. As usual, I would avoid all 147 gr. because if you want a .38 Spcl. then buy one.

http://www.stoppingpower.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9325&SearchTerms=9mm,silver,tip

10. A quote by TN-popo from the link you posted;

When Midway put the 147gr Silvertip on sale, I ordered 500 of them for my .38Super.

9mm design 147gr Gold Dots can/do offer mediocre performance when their velocities are pushed. Based upon performance of the 10mm/175gr Silvertip ~1400fps (Win factory @1290fps) and .44mag/210gr ST at 1570fps; I expect the 147gr ST will yield very good performance ~1200s.

Bob :cowboy:

11. 481

Feb 20, 2009

Thank you for the much needed correction.

Can't wait to see your tests with those STs.

12. Don't know what to expect with the 147gr ST tests, will set-up the .38Super dies tomorrow and wait for the wind to die down, then get the chrono numbers.

This .357mag/145gr Silvertip review at Midway is impressive; very wide wound cavity hole given the very short penetration distance;

And more recently;

Given the violent expansion I've seen in .44mag/210gr, another review agrees;

I'll be testing the 210gr soon.

There weren't any reviews for the 147gr Silvertip bullet or 9mm/147gr ST ammo.

However, don't see this kind of real life, self defense review very often, Winchester .38Super/125gr Silvertip ammo, at only 1240fps;

Credits to Winchester for designing the .38Super/125gr ST and 10mm/175gr ST, the 125gr Silvertip is not offered in .357SIG. The 175gr ST ammo (1290fps) may be the only 10mm velocity, JHP design bullet on the market.

The 147gr Silvertip is still in stock and on sale at Midway.

Bob :cowboy:

13. I have some older silvertip .38 and38 super in my emergency supply.
    I have and do like their 145 grain .357 in my L and N frames though.
    I still like the silver tip, but have been stocking my guns with GD's and HST latley.

John!

14. Silvertips may be an old technology, but it is almost the only choice you have for .38 Super and 9x23mm Winchester.

They are not bad, lots better than when Winchester loaded revolver bullets in the the .38 Super.

15. RWBlue

Jan 24, 2004
    You need to take up reloading. I am guessing that the 38 Super is going to fast for Silvertip technology.

16. Glock9teen

Glock9teen

Jun 24, 2010
    Where do you find the 147gr Silvertip? I have only found the 115gr Silvertip locally.

17. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

Jul 14, 2005
    With Amber Lamps
    The Silvertips have updated a few times. Originally the handgun Silvertips had an aluminum jacket. It would flake off and clog the gas port on the gas operated H&K pistol. The current Silvertips are the exact same bullet used in the Winchester USA ammo with a standard copper jacket colored silver. Silvertips used to have flash retardant powders but recently the newer designed premium ammo now gets the flash retardant powders and current Silvertips seemed to have a flashier powder. So other than the nickel plated case current Silvertips are similar to Winchester USA ammo.

18. BadAndy

BadAndy

Oct 2, 2004
    Irmo, SC
    Looks almost like the ST has slightly deeper cuts on the tip.

Standard Winchester JHP
    [​IMG]

Silver Tip
    [​IMG]

19. ssilvestro

ssilvestro

May 24, 2007
    Texas
    It's just the way the photographs came out-- the Silvertip and WWB do in fact use the same bullet, save for the nickel plating. There is also a slight velocity difference between the factory-loaded 147 WWB and the 147 Silvertip, 990 versus 1010 fps, respectively (according to Winchester's website). Whether 20 fps makes any difference in the real world, I don't know, and how the formulations of their powders differ, I also can't speak to, but the heads themselves ARE identical.