close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Educate me on Shotguns.

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by zoti, Aug 27, 2010.

1. zoti

zoti

Mar 13, 2010
    Plano, TX
    I want one that I will define as a "fun" gun. Shoot skeet. Maybe home defense.

What do I want? Low budget please.

2. sambeaux2249

sambeaux2249

Dec 4, 2006
    Louisiana
    How low budget? You could pick up a single shot for under $100 or so.

For home defense, I'd recommend a pump... Say $200ish for a Chinese Remington copy or about the same for a Maverick ( low end Mossberg ). If you want to shoot skeet and use it for home defense, you might look for a field/defense combo... Those might run a little more.

Sam

3. mixflip

mixflip

Mar 4, 2009
    Id say a nice combo gun would serve you well. There are lots of makers of shotguns that come with a long hunting barrel and an 18" home defense barrel included. Walk into most Big 5's and they should have a few to choose from?

4. msoprano

msoprano

Jun 2, 2005
    Since you mentioned fun too, how about a Stoeger coach gun?

5. zoti

zoti

Mar 13, 2010
    Plano, TX
    I got a Maverick. You can't really beat $189.95.

6. zoti

zoti

Mar 13, 2010
    Plano, TX
    So I got the shotgun and also the extra shells carrier. I'm right handed. I understand that I have to drill into the stock to attach it.
    Which side should I put it on?

7. What extra carrier are you talking about? The ones that attach to the stock are usually slip on covers.

8. zoti

zoti

Mar 13, 2010
    Plano, TX
  9. That carrier only fits the ATI stock which is a crappy stock anyways. And your mag tube probably has a shell plug in it which is probably just a wooden or plastic dowel in the mag tube which you can take out.

10. dc2integra

dc2integra

Oct 3, 2009
    maverick 88 is a good afforadable shotgun ive seen them for around 199 $

11. zoti

zoti

Mar 13, 2010
    Plano, TX
    That's what I was thinking. Going to field strip it tonight and remove whatever is restricting the amount of shells.

Looks like I'll need to return the shell carrier and get a different one.

I'll probably go shoot it tomorrow. Since I don't know ****, please tell me what ammo I need for skeet shooting.

12. GoBow

GoBow

Feb 8, 2008
    Delaware
    Nothing spells fun like a semi auto. At your price point, probably gotta look for used, stick w/Rem 1100 or the likes. Best of luck!

13. +1

Should run you about $350 for a Mossberg or Remington Combo set.

Or if you find a used Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 just buy another barrel for it.

14. sambeaux2249

sambeaux2249

Dec 4, 2006
    Louisiana
    Just about anything will do. THe cheapest stuff is 7 1/2 or 8 shot Heavy Dove loads. You should be able to find those cheap, and they're about perfect for beginner's skeet.

Sam

15. Aceman

Aceman

Nov 30, 2008
    Tampa
    Absolutely!

16. zoti

zoti

Mar 13, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Like I said. I got the maverick. Also got some buck shots and some bird shots. I plan to go do sone shooting this afternoon.

17. Don't worry about some of the posts...alot of people don't like to read the whole thread just the original post. Have fun. :supergrin:

18. shootingbuff

shootingbuff Millennium Member

Nov 1, 1999
    :wavey: me too "+1 more":cheerleader:

19. justapatriot

justapatriot

Aug 28, 2009
    Houston
    I found a deal on a Mossy 500 which included 28" ventilated barrel along with 18". It also came with pistol grip. Am planning to add Knoxx stock soon. I keep 00 in for SD and use #7.5 for both skeet and dove.

20. shootingbuff

shootingbuff Millennium Member

Nov 1, 1999
    Best with your new purchase - now get out and enjoy it.