close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Educate Me On Gen 4s

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Tophatter, Jan 23, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Tophatter

Tophatter

Oct 1, 2012
    Northern VA
    I currently carry a P30, and while it's a fine pistol, mag/parts availability is starting to annoy me more than a little bit, so I'm giving some thought to transitioning to a Glock 17. However, I have tiny little girl hands, and the only Glocks that I can get a proper grip on are Gen 4s.

Glocks are well-known for their simplicity of design, and I'm curious if anything about that has changed with the Gen 4s. Are they still guns you can detail strip with a ballpoint pen and all that other famous stuff? Not surprisingly, none of my local shops are willing to let me tear down Gen 2s side by side with Gen 4s and poke around.

2. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Oct 19, 2011
    Have you done any research on the current rash of Glock ejection problems? Late model Gen 3s and new Gen 4s are included. You can't go a single week on this forum without another BTF (Brass To Forhead) thread.

Do a little research before you decide on one brand or another.

Richard

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013

3. DocWills

DocWills

Mar 11, 2012
    oh please. Glock has the finest yet in gen 4. Unless you shhot weak ammo or have a beginners technique. The Glock design runs with about 33 parts, only the frame and a few of the internals are different. Stripping is still by removal of three pins. Detail dissassembly is easy too.

:supergrin::supergrin::supergrin::supergrin::supergrin:

4. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Oct 19, 2011
    There are a lot of people who agree with you! There are a lot of people who don't!

It's a crap shoot whether any given gun will function properly. Sometimes you win, sometimes, well, maybe it goes back and forth to Smyrna.

It's worth considering the current state of affairs before settling on a brand. If the issues seem minor, go for it!

But do some research!

Richard

5. 1RoundEye

1RoundEye

Feb 21, 2010
    This video give a good breakdown of the changes that go into the Gen4 pistols after the GLOCK ID stuff at about 5:53.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFcFwXU4xMo"]Shot Show 2013 | Glock Announcements - YouTube[/ame]

6. Scrappy

Scrappy

Mar 4, 2001
    PA
    Didnt they change the ejector housing and trigger bars too? The ejector housing has a new slot molded at a 5 degree steeper angle? I think its the same on the gen 3 SF models too.

7. Tophatter

Tophatter

Oct 1, 2012
    Northern VA
    Quite a bit, yeah. I'm also aware that the Gen 4s aren't well-regarded by a lot of the top trainers, but, c'est la vie. Gen 3s and Gen 2s are just too big for my freakishly short fingers, so it's a Gen 4 or something else.

8. FnKev

FnKev

Jan 14, 2012
    Boerne, TX
  9. Substance-P

Substance-P Member

Jan 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Any benefit to a Gen 3 SF? It will be just as small as a Gen 4 with no inserts. If wanting the smallest option out of the box is what you are looking for, I think the SF is something to consider.

10. Tophatter

Tophatter

Oct 1, 2012
    Northern VA
    See, this is where my ignorance of Glocks comes into the equation: I thought the SF models were limited to .45 ACP?

11. Scrappy

Scrappy

Mar 4, 2001
    PA
    10mm and 45 ACP models

12. bigcix

bigcix

Feb 18, 2011
    Central, Ca
    I'm just hoping glock comes out with a gen 4 36

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  13. Tophatter

Tophatter

Oct 1, 2012
    Northern VA
    Eh. Yeah, I'd prefer to stick with 9mm.

Sounds like I need to take my chances with a Gen 4 17.

They've got to get it right eventually...right?

14. High Altitude

High Altitude

Nov 19, 2005
    Tennessee
    Personally, I think the Gen4 models are the best Glocks yet.

Grip size/texture and the magazine release does it for me.

15. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Dec 17, 1998
    Roanoke, Virginia
    I think the Gen4's are the best Glocks to date. My four have been flawless.

16. Tophatter

Tophatter

Oct 1, 2012
    Northern VA
    And that's why I'd even be chancing it, the fact that it seems like there's a chance - arguably even a good chance - to pick up a good Gen 4.

I just want to make sure the reason I'm buying a Glock - ease of maintenance, simplicity of design, widespread availability of parts and accessories - continues to exist in the Gen 4.

17. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

Jun 14, 2002
    For duty use, it's hard to find one that's not rock solid. On the internet, it's very difficult to find a report of one that functions at all.

18. TTex

TTex Cannon Fodder

Jul 12, 2011
    Louisiana
    Yes! The Gen 4's are just as easy to maintain, just as simply designed, and parts availability is still there (with possibly a few minor exceptions for redesigned pieces). They didnt try to reinvent the wheel when they designed the Gen 4 they just tweaked a few things.
    I like the Gen 4's! My next purchase (when I can find one) will be a Gen 4 G21.

19. BMiracletx

BMiracletx

Aug 3, 2012
    Abilene, TX
    Personally I have all Gen3 9mms, but love the Gen 4 on my 21, 22, 23, 31, 32, 33!

I am still hesitant to get a Gen 4 9mm even thought they have supposedly fixed them with the new recoil spring.

20. Is the GEN 4 trouble free? 100%? No.

Is any gun? No.

Are there fixes for GEN 4's that have these issues? Yes.

I own 4 GEN 4 Glocks. I don't have any problems.

But do they exist? Yes.

For me, the GEN 4 brought me back to Glock after getting out of them in the late 90s. GEN 4 is all I consider. I holding out for a GEN 4 20 and 26 in FDE.

TTR