Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

Edited: What Do You Think of A Paid Tier Being Added To GT?

Discussion in 'Paid Membership System' started by bestseller92, Apr 14, 2007.

1. bestseller92

bestseller92 Oklahoman!

Apr 4, 2006
    The Nugent site has recently started charging new members twenty bucks a year for the privilege of posting there (old members get a one year free grace period).

I know bandwidth is not free, and boards cost to operate. But would you pay twenty bucks a year to post on a message board (as opposed to voluntarily donating to a board you like)?

I see this as a way for a board to atrophy and die, because it'll get no new members at all, and the old ones will slowly go away.

What do you think?
  2. cooldude

Feb 6, 2007

Thats the reason why I didnt join Klounge, Katharine McPhees official fan club! They want 25 bucks a year just to post on the forum. Veing a fan you shouldnt have to PAY to be a fan of someone.

Plus u have to give your personal info out, and I dont want to give out that!

3. MrKandiyohi

MrKandiyohi Millennium Member

Feb 9, 1999
    Charging is a good way to weed out the people who aren't seriously interested in joining. It also cuts out the spammers who post and run.

I don't necessarily agree with it, but that could be an explanation.
  4. BEER

BEER bad example

May 2, 2006
    Dayton, Texas
  5. zoyter2

zoyter2 Yeah, so what?

Jun 25, 2002
    Anniston, Alabama
    Hellllll yes! It should be a choice, with a 'free' level still available, but a paid level would be cool.

I can think of at least a dozen or two trolling FNDAs that it would totally eliminate!

It would be nice to have a pay level here and I will be the first to sign up!

PS. Hijack!

Nugents site? $20 a year? :rofl: :rofl: :animlol: :animlol: :animlol:

Screw him and the guitar he rode in on.

Hijack over!
  6. chad10mm

chad10mm Time to shoot

Feb 2, 2005
    It's not a new idea.
    Often it's done by letting paying members view ad-free pages, have access to member-only areas, member-only functions and other benefits, while allowing a limited but functional access to non-paying members. Those can be and have been successful. (I'm hoping Glocktalk will get there one of these days)

I haven't been to Nugent's site lately, but if the only option they are offering is a paid membership then there probably won't be a Nugent site this time next year.

Exactly as you say, sites that go pay-only atrophe and die, unless they have a corner on an exclusive interest or clientele.

Nugent's site doesn't have that.
  7. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

Dec 18, 2004
    San AntonioTexas
    Many websites have special forums available only to paying members. I like this idea. Also, if they are only viewable to paying members, the things you post will not end up getting picked up by search engines.

I think this is a wonderful idea. I wish we had such a feature here. I would, and I know others would, post more pictures.
  8. GlockMan40s&w

GlockMan40s&w MS Glocker

Apr 10, 2005
    Down South
    I would pay to post on this site. Eric does alot to this site to stay up and running.

:thumbsup: Keep up the good work.
  9. No.

But another forum I frequent (offtopic) lets you buy avatars.

Without an AV you can still post, but paying members generally mercilessly make fun of you. And you can't search the forum, among other things.
  10. ax157

ax157 Libertarian

Oct 14, 2003
    It would have to be a very exceptional board, and I would have to be able to atleast view it without paying.

Assuming nothing else had changed... I would pay to use glocktalk, I'm not sure how much, but I would be willing to pay to an extent.
  11. hotlunch

Dec 19, 2005
    Why would anyone pay to read other peoples opinions? There are too many free sites to choose from that most people don't feel the need to pay for the priveledge of posting.

Nothing more boring than a small, insular forum where all you'll ever see or read are the same opinions from the same handful of people.
  12. major

major Rejected member

Aug 19, 2001
    Cochrane, Alberta
    If I paid, I would want a little more say-so about some things.
  13. stangyg123

stangyg123 NRA 4 Ever

Dec 17, 2005

2nd. :thumbsup:
  14. nipperwolf

Oct 3, 2002
    yeah, right. :upeyes: :upeyes:

they're smart enough to NOT let stalkers join. ;)
  15. whitetiger7653

whitetiger7653 NRA Life Member

Apr 30, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    I agree. If a forum needs money that bad they need to sell advertisement space better. Not including the fact that there are free forum hosting places. Plus you can do fundraisers like Eric did.
  16. zoyter2

zoyter2 Yeah, so what?

Jun 25, 2002
    Anniston, Alabama
    I think that the general consensus will end up being that some will pay, some will not. (Hold the applauds for my genius :supergrin: ).

The workable idea here at GT might be for nothing much to change for everybody; the forums could still exist as they are, but there would exist another GLOCKTALK forum section that has options that many here WOULD pay for. hosting, archival searching, email, etc.

I don't think that anyone wants to loose what we have, but many members DO want to have more good stuff available and are willing to cover what it costs. :thumbsup:

PS...Brother Rabbi has one VERY good idea (as usual) about the benefits of a paid tier...privacy!
  17. chad10mm

chad10mm Time to shoot

Feb 2, 2005
    There are some funny things here.
    I almost said some funny misconceptions, but that is just my opinion, so I'll stick with funny things...which is also only my opinion.

I doubt if I'd pay $1 per 100 years just to read other peoples opinions.
    But there is value in a place where people DISCUSS their opinions, thoughts and ideas.
    And to pay a small amount of money to keep the discussions free from trolls, internet gangstas and people that just don't get it is a worthwhile expense.

A little, within reason, isn't a bad idea.
    A forum ain't a democracy though. The ones that tried to be died young.

There I agree 100%. While if you are paying or donating to a site you have to give some info, or use [puke]PayPal and give it to them...always give the minimum or what you feel safest with.
    It isn't pleasant to wade through advertising to get to where you want to be. And advertising income isn't that great anyway...this ain't the superbowl..
    Free forum hosting places would run you and everbody else out of here in a day or two...visit a few and you'll understand.
    I don't think I should even need to comment on how much work a fund raiser is.

Like I said...funny your eyes folks.
  18. SuckLead

Apr 9, 2007
    People are going to pay it. Those people have more money than brains, but they'll pay it. I don't mind a board that asks for donations and you can donate whatever you want to. But telling members they have to pay? Nah. I don't need to type at people that badly.
  19. lcarreau

lcarreau Reload Artist

Sep 22, 2003
    Arlington, TX
    When GT offers a paid tier, I will pay for whatever the highest tier is.
  20. FDC

Apr 9, 2006
    Pay to post--no, although I have before on the TDR.

Pay for priviledges, it depends on the board. I pay at arfcom because it has a TON of info on it, and you need to pay to be able to search for it. :dunno: