Glock Talk banner

Ed Brown, Nighthawk, Wilson Combat

13K views 81 replies 29 participants last post by  bac1023 
#1 ·
Anyone here own one of these makes? I may sell a few things to get one. I like the CQB, CQB Elite, Kobra Carry, GRP, Talon, T3's. If you have experience with these what brand would you say is better made?

#6 ·
Anyone here own one of these makes? I may sell a few things to get one. I like the CQB, CQB Elite, Kobra Carry, GRP, Talon, T3's. If you have experience with these what brand would you say is better made?
You're kinda all over the place in those choices. Do you want a fullsized 1911 or a Commander or a CCO?:dunno:

#8 ·
If the NightHawk Custom "Richard Heinie Signature Series" are anywhere near as good as what Dick Heinie built, then I'd say they're worth every penny. I had two of Dick's custom .45's, and they totally outshown anything else on the market. Sadly, most of today's creations are just "slightly" out of my price range.

#12 · (Edited)
I own a Wilson Combat.
I had no wish for one, but some SOB put one in my hand. The action was like glass; the balance perfect; the trigger was sweet.

So I ordered a Bill Wilson Carry with 2 upgrades. It is a sweet gun.

Worth it? I don't know, but I like it.

Here is mine:

#13 ·
Wilson as of lately is disappointing with all the price increases to ME, you're just better off going full custom for $3-4K+. That being said, Wilson Combat is the best in terms of building you anything you want and using parts THEY make including their own frames. Nighthawk is a shadow of what it used to be, personally, I'm not a fan when there are several others to consider. Browns are pretty and well made, have a friend that has 20K through his in the last couple years. Baer is still the best deal going on this "tier" of 1911s but you're not gonna get much bling, if you're a shooter then you won't care.

#14 · (Edited)
Own no, shot and handled yes. To me they don't shoot any different than a high quality colt or custom gun. But what do I know.
What's a "high quality Colt"? :dunno:I have a complete custom Colt Commander that the only thing left about it that's Colt, is the slide and frame, which were re-fit. I consider that a "high quality Colt". But it's also a total custom Colt too, hardchromed by Virgil Tripp.

Pictured here with my hardchromed Guncrafter No Name Commander

#18 ·
Nighthawk is a shadow of what it used to be, personally, I'm not a fan when there are several others to consider.
I can't speak to what they're building now, my bobtail Talon II is from 2008. I couldn't ask for anything more in terms of craftsmanship or accuracy. Mine was built to order, direct from NHC.

I will say I'm not impressed with some of the models on their website recently.

#20 ·
I like Wilsons a lot, I like Baer a lot... love Brown. Carry and compete with a Special Forces model.

Not as pretty as it once was... some holster wear, pretty much says "Special Force" now :supergrin:, but it shoots great and is reliable and predictable as you could hope for.

#21 ·
I own a Nighthawk T3. It arrived with a slide stop problem, and the ambi safety was not what the sales rep told me (multiple times) it would be. They wouldn't fix the ambi safety, and accused me of lying about what the rep told me. I had to pay shipping to Nighthawk to get the slide stop fixed. They made a big deal over the fact they would pay shipping back. I would never touch one of their products again. Considering that part of the price of a "high end 1911 is service, the are overpriced, unreliable out of the box, and have piss poor service.

I also own a Springfield Custom (TGO 1) and I would rate it's accuracy and reliability as good or better than anything near it in price. I had the same ambi safety problem with it (that's how I knew to address that with Nighthawk when I placed the order) and they not only paid shipping both ways, they bought a Bullet Proof safety from Wilson and still got the TGO back to me the same week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.