close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ed Brown for a Guncrafter

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by BlayGlock, Jul 16, 2010.

1. BlayGlock

BlayGlock
    Expand Collapse

So I’ve been looking at these Guncrafter pics you guys are putting up and it got me to thinking that I would probably like one of those. I was thinking of selling my Ed Brown Kobra to get one. The reason is, I am not a collector like many of you fine gentlemen, and I have a policy of not having any safe queens. Given my limited time to reload I would not be able to shoot both with regularity. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    The Brown is a fantastic gun, its beautiful, shoots great, is reliable, and has a great trigger. However, it is more common than a Guncrafter and not as cool IMO.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    So what do you think, is the Guncrafter worth going through the hassle at this time? Do you think that it is worth it over a Brown?<o:p></o:p>

(If I did get this I guess I could officially join the Bac made me buy this, however, drc played a role as well. Darn you guys.)

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Hokie1911

Hokie1911
    Expand Collapse
    >

3. lawdog734

lawdog734
    Expand Collapse

I just got one from DRC. This was my first "semi custom" 1911. I LOVE IT. It is by far the nicest gun I have ever shot. I never have shot or held an Ed Brown but the No Name is well worth the money/time it takes to get one. I will be posting pics of mine this weekend. Plus DRC is awesome to deal with and I would buy from him again.

4. Dean22

Dean22
    Expand Collapse

I love the looks of those Name Names, man they are some sweet guns. I am in the same boat as you though I don't have safe queens. I've got a carry gun that is also my range gun, aside from the I've got a shotgun so home defense. I'm seriously thinking about increase my gun collection to include a No Name, (my carry is .40, might be switching to 9mm) so that means I don't have a .45, good enough reason right??? :)

5. drc767

drc767
    Expand Collapse
    Navy CSAR

Thanks for the good words, Lawdog. I thought it would be a great carry/duty weapon for you. I just cannot say enough good words about the NN. As far as the original posters question, I believe it comes down to a personal choice. Everyone has a different idea of the "perfect" weapon. I, personally would trade an Ed Brown for a GI No Name any day of the week.....but that is just my opinion. BlayGlock.....I have three NN's on order right now, two of which are spoken for (I think they are about 8-10 weeks out)...You may also find someone that has one in stock if you search around GB or GA.

#5 drc767, Jul 16, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  6. lawdog734

lawdog734
    Expand Collapse

I had the No Name at the station last night, me and two other officers shot a total of 24 rounds through it. Our range is 50 feet. we had no trouble putting all the rounds into the spinal colum markings/ brian stem markings on the target. Before we shot it the other two said "I can't believe you would spend that much money on a gun" afterword all they said was Wow.
    DRC you deserve the praise you were a big help. Thanks again.

#6 lawdog734, Jul 16, 2010
  7. BlayGlock

BlayGlock
    Expand Collapse

drc I need to sell the Brown first if I get one, but if you will ship to my FFL here in Texas, I would order through you when I get ready (if I get ready).

8. drc767

drc767
    Expand Collapse
    Navy CSAR

Not a problem whatsoever to ship to your FFL.

9. drc767

drc767
    Expand Collapse
    Navy CSAR

My Brother-in-Law is LEO with Nashville Metro. We went to the range last week and he was saying pretty much the same thing before we got to the range. After he shot about 100 rounds through his G22, I put up a fresh target in my lane, loaded up a couple mags in the NN and told him to give it a go. He absolutely destroyed the center of the target.....He wouldn't stop talking about how much he liked it all the way home. :)

#9 drc767, Jul 16, 2010
  10. Shipwreck-The-Sequel

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
    Expand Collapse
    Beretta 92 Nut!

I have a 5" Ed Brown Special Forces.... I wish I had gotten a 5" Kobra with a rail now, but oh well. I love the brown, and wouldn't sell it. It's the only 45 cal 1911 I own.

I'd keep the Brown if I were you. If yours works so well and shoots great - don't sell it.

11. lawdog734

lawdog734
    Expand Collapse

Although I love my No Name I agree with trying to keep both. I am with you on the no safe queens but if you want something changed on either and have to send it out you'll still have a great shooter either way while you wait.

12. BlayGlock

BlayGlock
    Expand Collapse

It is a great shooter and Ive had no problems out of it so far. Browns are really nice guns. I may just save up or wait and see if I get a bonus next year and then buy it.

13. SuHu

SuHu
    Expand Collapse
    Towed Jumper

It would be better if you had a gun that was worth the same as the GI. You'd be losing too much money on the Brown, and you will have to come up with 900-1000 bucks on top of that. 1500 bucks loss for... cool factor?

Save your pennies!

14. glock2740

glock2740
    Expand Collapse
    Gun lover.

I second that. Dave is one of the coolest guys, let alone gun dealer, that I've met/talked to in a long time. Great guy to deal with. :thumbsup:

15. drc767

drc767
    Expand Collapse
    Navy CSAR

Not sure I agree with your math unless you are assuming he gives the Brown away and pays retail for the NN . In any event, I agee with the above postings that say if you can keep the Brown and buy a NN, that would be the way I would go. Reality is, though, that is not always an option for everybody.

#15 drc767, Jul 16, 2010
  16. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

:rofl:

17. Hokie1911

Hokie1911
    Expand Collapse
    >

I'll take it. :thumbsup:

18. Hokie1911

Hokie1911
    Expand Collapse
    >

Man, you guys are a BAD influence. I was lurking on GC's websitetoday . Everyone keeps buying them sooooooo I just had to look. :whistling:

So for a high(er) end bobtail Commander .45, is the GC worth $500-600 more than an Ed Brown? Yes, I know this is a subjective question, but I am looking for input. It will be a year or so before I drop the cash on a really nice semi-custom, so the extra cash isn't a huge concern. Just wondering.

19. Trey83

Trey83
    Expand Collapse

Sure it will.............:tongueout:

Don't worry I keep try to convince myself the same thing :embarassed:

20. Hokie1911

Hokie1911
    Expand Collapse
    >

It will be, trust me. A $2k+ pistola will = divorce and child support which will seriously impact my gunfund ability. :whistling: