Ebola coming to America!

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Aceman, Aug 1, 2014.

1. In highly contained, secure settings, under care of CDC.

Darn! And just when a good outbreak would really stir things up.

For those concerned…calm down and go back to building faraday boxes.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Another Ebola Coming to USA The Okie Corral Oct 2, 2014
    Ebola infected Dr's coming home... The Okie Corral Aug 1, 2014
    Uh oh! Ebola is baaaaaack! The Okie Corral Jul 1, 2015
    North Korea Claims it has a Drug that Prevent and Cures Mers, Ebola, Sars, & Aids. The Okie Corral Jun 20, 2015
    Ebola apocalypse? The Okie Corral May 6, 2015

3. Quick, get Dustin Hoffman and Cuba Gooding Jr...do some low flying helicopter maneuvers.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

4. It is irresponsible to bring this infected person to America. The aid worker who contracted the disease was highly trained on how to handle infected people so the disease would not spread and they 'effed it up. Now others with similar training get there chance to 'eff up Atlanta. Do we really trust any government agency to do what they are supposed to?
  5. eb07

eb07 Sharkin'

As an American citizen he deserves the right to come home and get the best treatment possible. I am pretty sure if any of you got deathly ill in a third world country, you would not hesitate to come home and get treated here instead of getting treatment in a sub par country.

If it was you or one of your family members, I am sure your tune would change.

I also cannot believe the OP wishes an outbreak would occur in the US killing people.

What is wrong with society these days?
  6. Me thinks sarcasm?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
  7. eb07

eb07 Sharkin'

If so, my apologies.
  8. I can't imagine having to endure the transportation, flight and more transport while being gravely ill. But no need for concern. You can only catch it through intimate contact. Must be one heck of an orgy going on over there.
  9. Not true…puke, poo, all sorts of fluids.

But remember - these people are essentially treating an unbelievably virulent disease in ditch. It is impressive that MORE people don't get it.

Part of the reason we fear Ebola is that the places that get it are unbelievable crud holes. In Sierra Leone and Liberia you are more likely to die from bandits, rape, and assorted other unpleasantries honestly….

Seriously? Don't bring a US Citizen back? Wow….
  10. Unfortunately I agree.

We had highly trained people using the best practices to avoid getting infected and they still got infected. They were experts and obviously knew the risks and procedures.

There is absolutely zero reasons why we couldn't have sent staff over with the proper equipment and treated them in place. You send 20 people over to treat the two and if the 20 get infected you realize you've made an error. You cut the loses and quarantine the entire country. But now, If 1 nurse gets infected in Atlanta and goes out on a Friday night, we could have a global pandemic within days on a level not seen by humans since the black death in Europe. Add to that Ebola kills 60 to 90 percent of its victims brutally.

Bringing them to the US is an un-needed, and frankly a totally irresponsible risk to take. I am continually surprised by how stupidly incompetent "experts" are. The easy way to avoid these risks is stop giving people the opportunity the screw up.

People need to remember Ebloa is fairly unique. It is highly infectious and very deadly, however it also can have up to a 21 day incubation period. This leaves a risk of monumental proportions. If just one man fly's out of Africa back home to LA and infects just 10 others in LA, a global pandemic is nearly guaranteed. Each one of the 10 will infect 10 to 100 more in their travels, and the infection rate is exponential from there. The worst part is the ill wouldn't even know they were doing it.

The media's portray of "Ebloa is unlikely to spread in the US or Europe" is a flat out lie. Do the research about just how infectious Ebola is. The only good thing about it is that most of the people who get it get sick pretty quickly (within about 5 days) and get so sick they do not travel or go out in public. This leaves a relatively limited time to infect others before they die.
  11. I have a pretty cynical take on diseases because I deal with numbers by trade. Lets assume a "good" outcome of the disease. Of those exposed only 70 percent get it, and only 70 percent of those die.

A standard model of the common cold will show about 70 percent of the populous will be exposed. Ok, 300 million * .7 *.7 * .7 = 102. Only 102 million people in the US would die given a "good" outcome of a potential epidemic.

I know it sounds heartless, but that's not a number I'm comfortable with. The risk is simply too great. Even if there is just a 1 in 100 change that Ebola somehow gets out of containment in Atlanta, that's a projected death toll of 1 million for *MAYBE* saving 2 lives. We can argue that the disease would get here anywhere if there is a real epidemic anywhere and you'd probably be right. I'm all about risk mitigation.

On the flip side, the human population is overdue for a massive culling. I hope everyone is getting ready for the inevitable day it comes.
  12. NDCent

NDCent Socially Inept

Here's a couple articles mentioning the possibility of airborn Ebola virus. One is current and the other from back in 2012. One dealing with it happening in a controlled experiment between pigs and monkeys, and the other article saying scientific experiments show it's possible, although, its not been seen in a real life situation, yet.

I'm no chicken little, but I'll wait for a better consensus between scientist and health officials instead of getting my knowledge of how it could/can/can't spreads from GT members, ymmv.

13. Will Beararms

Millennium Member

God bless these healthcare workers and their families. May they have a full recovery. That said,THEY KNEW the risks when they decided to go there.

Bringing then back is idiotic and dangerous to the our nation's welfare.

It's clear our national politicians from both parties do not have our best interests at heart.
  14. Science, much like opinions about anything is really just a best guess. The more info we can get the better. Keep in mind the source and who regulates it.

the CDCs official page: http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/

the CDC on Ebola transmission: http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/transmission/index.html

WHO on Ebola: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs103/en/
  15. I completely get what you're saying and understand but those healthcare workers were using best practices for the location they were in. They were in a third world country with very limited resources. The best practices they used are equivalent to an isolation ward here in the states.

We have dedicated aircraft, equipment and labs built to transport and treat highly contagious people. The CDC works with bugs much worse than Ebola on a daily basis in Atlanta. There have been a couple of close calls no issues. I vote to bring them back and treat them here.
  16. Deputydave

Millennium Member

No, don't really trust the government.

But, this isn't the first time ebola has been to this country. Most just don't know about the other times. At any rate, when you see government official heading for the underground bunkers it's time to worry, until then it's all groovy.
  17. So, if you are here and get a nasty bug, should we eject you? Not really in everyone's best interest for you to remain here….

Or is that different? Your rights change depending on where you are at the time?
  18. barbedwiresmile

barbedwiresmile Unreconstructed

Anyone who thinks the CDC is "trained" and prepared to deal with such a virus hasn't been paying attention to recent events over at the CDC. But belief in wizards runs high.
  19. barbedwiresmile

barbedwiresmile Unreconstructed

EVD is not naturally transmitted by aerosol. They are, however, highly infectious as breathable 0.8–1.2 micrometre droplets in laboratory conditions;[17]*because of this potential route of infection, these viruses have been classified as Category A biological weapons.[18]*Recently the virus has been shown to travel without contact from pigs to primates.[19]*While the method of transmission is not determined, it is believed to travel short distance through the air in large droplets that are absorbed through the airways effectively making it an airborne virus.[20]
  20. F350

As said the virus spreads through body fluids but "don't worry he is isolated", all well and good but I have a few questions...

How is his urine and feces going to be destroyed?
    How are his bed sheets going to be processed?
    How are the other medical wastes going to be processed, needles, syringes, blood sample vials, extra blood from blood tests, blood after tests, vomit, bloody bandages, eating utensils and plates........ AND if he does die, how is his body going to be handled?

As barbedwiresmile says, recent revelations of CDC do not comfort me. One slip at one phase and......