close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Eating like the S has HTF week

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by DoctaGlockta, May 30, 2012.

1. In the past I have fasted for as long as a week. That was no food for a week. I did however drink watered down fruit juice and did 'eat' chicken and beef broth.

I must have had a bad brat or something on Memorial Day so I've been ill the past two days and haven't eaten. I think I'm going to go a week again and see how I do. Any calories I get will be from watered down fruit juice or bullion.

After the week I'm going to hit a SHTF diet of rice, beans and some scraps of meat and vegetables. Will pull the odd 'treat' out of my food stores but I'm going to keep it simple.

I'll keep my daily routine of work and exercising the same to keep my physical activity up.

Might as well see if I can do it now.

Will keep you posted.

If you have done the same or similar let us know.

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  2. cyrsequipment

cyrsequipment Angry

Aug 8, 2004
    Maine
    Thanks for sharing, if I might ask...

What is your normal caloric intake?

I am debating on doing the same thing, just to use the opportunity to reset my appetite and start eating a lot healthier than I do now.

3. The bad brat part seems horrible but I am interested to see how you do. Energy level, mood, attention span, and so on. Good luck.

4. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

Sep 28, 2009
    Yes. earlier this year.

I was gonna pull out 1/12 of my supplies and see if I could last a month.

On a pro-rata basis, i was fine. I was ok on half what I pulled out, for two weeks.

I gave it up and went back to normal at 2 weeks. I know I'll make it cause calorie wise I did fine and wasn't hungry or anything, but there was some monotony.

Monotony I probably won't notice in a real SHTF. It also seemed to be starch heavy, though that's what stores best. I did make some adjustments to my stores.

I do have canned meats, but heavy subsistence on them is only for life and death emergencies. SPAM may be calorie rich but its also fatty, greasy and loaded with nitrates.

I also wanted to go back to eating lots of fresh veggies. Canned will work, but nothing like fresh.

In a true SHTF/TEOTWAWKI, I would still be living like a king. and I have enough.

5. I'm not sure of my average caloric intake. If I were to guess it would be 2000-2500 calories. I don't eat breakfast, sometimes a small lunch if any and then a normal dinner. Sometimes a late snack.

I understand your reasoning for wanting to fast. I have used the same in the past. It does flush out your system. Tea has helped out in the past as well.

I recommend you do it. It gives one a far greater appreciation for food as well. After a few days you will be amazed at the reduction in cravings you have and you wonder why you ate so much in the past.

First couple of days are the toughest. Drink fluids, take something for your headaches that you most likely will get. Do the watered down fruit juice thing and the bullion - it will help.

I'm near the end of day two and feel pretty good.

Good luck.

6. Dexters

Dexters

May 3, 2004
    ga
    Several things you should consider during these test:
    1 - take vitamins & minerals - that you should do normally
    2 - have something available for constipation
    3 - be aware of your water intake - don't drink less & don't drink too much you will deplete your electrolytes
    4 - salt

7. Do you mind sharing what caused the monotony and what changes did you make to your stores?

8. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

Sep 28, 2009
    Probably the leaning towards bulk sizes, and apportioning meal sized lots of said bulk, but more importantly storing it long enough to its coming around again in rotation.

And just that there is an overwhelming variety in my regular daily diet, and practical space considerations prevent me from re-creating that variety in storage.

And that the most brutal, calorie intensive part of the year is the cold, chilly freezing winter when food will mostly be cooked, and that cooking hot meals in the portion of the year I was running the experiment in wasn't big on that. (IE, warmer weather isn't when I'd heat up the kitchen baking biscuits)

That's ok, really because in summer if a SHTF was unfolding, warm weather would give me more freedom of movement to hunt small game and cook it outdoors over a fire, and garden some.

Winter, you're indoors hunkered down trying to stay warm hence the heavier cooking ration, hot foods. Freezing cold, you're willing to eat about anything.

You would heat up a can of ravioli in winter, in summer, not so much. Same for pasta generally, how much spaghetti do you eat in summer vs winter? Winter, most of it hands down.

Dealing with it, mostly expanding canned veggies. Its so easy to store canned meat and starch, and when you eat them, yea! yummy! I'm full! need nap…

But that's not really healthy…you need greens, veggies. You don't want to survive the apocalypse only to die of colon cancer. That would totally suck.

9. Bolster

Bolster Not Ready Yet!

Jul 23, 2011
    State of Stupidity
    I am doing a "lite" version of a test, it entails lunch being "prep" foods. Almost every lunch is lentils and rice, and I'm learning a variety of ways of making them, figuring out what spices & etc to store.

10. Stevekozak

Stevekozak Returning video

Nov 9, 2008
    What do you do for employment? I would have to be on vacation to attempt this. I would be crapping my pants the first day of this diet/fast , which would not be conducive to staying employed.

11. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.
  12. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

Sep 28, 2009
    Yeah, but not much.

I stock

garlic powder
    crushed red pepper
    curry
    cumin
    salt
    pepper
    onion powder

by the pound and numerous others.

Didn't change the situation I described. They make life more pleasant, sure, but not game changers. Important to be sure.

13. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

Sep 28, 2009
    Home between consulting gigs. Made it easy.

14. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.
    How much do you grow.'08.

:dunno:

15. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

Mar 17, 1999
    Western WA
    Not exactly SHTF stores, but we have done 100% locovore weekends. From things that we either grew or were grown in our area and that we can grow. Which is what we'd be eating if the SHTF anyway.

It's extremely light on carbs, no wheat, rice, or beans. Lot of fruit and greens. Tilapia from my pond, papaya (both ripe and green), taro, okinawan sweet potato, beets, chicken (feral, my dog caught it, so I cooked it.) avocado, guava, banana, lemon, lime, tangelo, oranges, watercress. For spices, we have lemon grass, papaya seed, sea salt, a couple different chilis, rosemary, basil, and a couple others I forget.

3 months of food in the closet is fine, but forever food in the garden is better.

Dog caught chicken dinner. (Ferals are pretty scrawny) With Choy Sum, and Okinawan sweet potato. (They really are that purple)

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  16. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

Sep 28, 2009
    Just got the garden started, raised bed.

Onions
    Rosemary
    Basil
    Parsley
    Jalapeno Peppers

My biggest canned production is for the basil. I grow a metric s#$load of it, then make it into pesto, pack it in empty mustard and spice jars and freeze it.

Plus I'm doing

Beauregard sweet potatoes (should yield about 60 lbs on the small batch I'm growing)
    Fajita Bell peppers (mildly spicy)
    Sweet bell peppers
    German princess heirloom tomatoes (slicers)
    cherry tomatoes
    Cucumbers (excess will be pickled)

17. cyrsequipment

cyrsequipment Angry

Aug 8, 2004
    Maine
    Well I started last night as well (although I forgot this morning and had a bit of cheese that I was packing in my kids lunchbox).

I am going to not be as intense as the OP and just drink gatorade (sometimes mixed with fiber powder because my cholesterol is another reason I am doing this), tea and other liquids and multivitamins.

I am not hopeful that I will last too awful long but maybe I can adjust my appetite so that I will be able to resist eating 10,000 calories a day in chips and grease...

18. Good luck.

I'm on the morning of day 3. Little light headed this morning but went for my usual run. I was dragging my ass but I was pushing a running stroller. Still feeling the repercussions of the bad brat on Mem day or perhaps a intestinal bug. No muscle weakness or pain. No hunger pains. And similar to the last time I did this cravings for food are almost non existent. It is amazing how your body reacts to no food. Have lost 6 lbs since the last time I weighed my self before the weekend.

19. DrSticky

DrSticky

Nov 28, 2005
    Houston
    I think this brings up a big ethical question. Did you give your dog some?

20. Posting a photo like that in a thread where a few guys are going without food for days :whistling:

Looks delicious btw.