Glock Talk banner

Easy to Use Sharpener?

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  sr556m9 
#1 ·
So I recently got a decent SOG Flash II pocket knife with a partially serrated blade. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about reasonably easy sharpeners which had the ability to do both serrated and plain edges. I realize there are really elaborate systems out there (I looked at Spyderco's Sharpmaker for a bit) but I'm thinking simpler.

I was seriously considering [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Smiths-PP1-Pocket-Multifunction-Sharpener/dp/B000O8OTNC/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_img_b"]Amazon.com: Smith's PP1 Pocket Pal Multifunction Sharpener: Home Improvement@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/418q7JUIv2L.@@AMEPARAM@@418q7JUIv2L[/ame] but didn't want to get something that wasn't going to do its job. Anyone know anything about this product or one's like it that you prefer?

#2 · (Edited)
I am a huge knife guy.

It doesn't get better, simpler or easier than the Spyderco Sharpmaker - it is a real knife sharpener that will put a wicked CONSISTENT edge every time.

You will most likely not get consistent angles with the Smith, which is essential to get those hair-popping edges. Maybe after enough practice, but it will take time.

Save yourself the time and trouble and pick one up - I guarantee you'll be happy.

#4 · (Edited)
Skip that Smith garbage. If money is tight, you can sharpen on the bottom of a coffee cup and strop with a leather belt or the back of a legal pad.

The Spyderco Sharpmaker will serve you well as long as you keep the edge maintained. I can't recommend the seperate Ultra Fine Rods enough, they make a world of difference with with the Sharpmaker. You will eventually need some form of stones to thing out the blade when the edge gets thick since the Sharpmaker is just a hone for all intensive purposes.

I use an Edge Pro Apex with Chosera waterstones to set bevels and thin out edges and a Sharpmaker/Strops to maintain. I'd say I can get a good 30-40 sharpenings on the sharpmaker before needing to take it back to stones. This setup leaves me with consistant hair whittling edges that have no problem slicing toilet paper.

My advice would be:
Buy the sharpmaker, UF rods, and a strop now. Then get some sort of stones later.

I just did this Military today

#5 ·
TC, your edges always look great. Makes me really want an Edgepro.

Another tip to consider is some sort of magnification to be able to actually see what's going on as you sharpen. I use a printer's loop that is for checking registration (I own a printing company) and it really helps me get a pretty decent result out of my Lansky sharpener (another good option to consider).

#6 ·
TC, your edges always look great. Makes me really want an Edgepro.

Another tip to consider is some sort of magnification to be able to actually see what's going on as you sharpen. I use a printer's loop that is for checking registration (I own a printing company) and it really helps me get a pretty decent result out of my Lansky sharpener (another good option to consider).
I use a 45X illuminated microscope from chefknivestogo.com

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

#7 ·
I have been using the Lansky system for years it is awesome and does well for me. My old man was a whittler. He could put a razor edge on his whittling knives free hand with a fine whet stone. I can spend an hour and then in one stroke mess it all up freehand. The lansky was made for guys like me.

No matter what you use there are some rules:
.Make the same number of strokes on each side
.Make every stroke at the exact same angle
.After your last stroke make a real light pass over a extra fine stone or ceramic or w/leather on the other side to remove the burr that was formed by your last stroke.

The magnification is a good idea. Never thought of that before but I'll be giving it a try.

#8 · (Edited)
I love SOG knives. They are my favorite. I just bought my dad a SOG Flash II partially serrated for Father's day. He loves it! I also have the little Smith's sharpener. It works great for the serrated edges, but that's it. It won't put a nice edge on the plain edge of your blade. I have a Spyderco Double Stuff stone for sharpening plain edges. Love it, and it puts a razor edge on my knives. Think I paid $22 for it and it was worth every penny.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.