Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Easy to field strip & clean AR 15 type rifles

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Oldmso54, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Oldmso54

Jan 17, 2013
    Central Florida
    Now that inventory is starting to come back on AR 15 type rifles I'm thinking about picking one up when prices start returning to normal.

One of the things I want in that type of rifle is something easy to field strip, clean and maintain!! I'm thinking probably .223 or 5.56 Nato caliber.

I stated AR 15 type rifles but I'd also be interested in hearing about AK 47 types regarding ease of maintenance.

Thanks in advance
  2. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    I prefer the AR15 to the AK, but no doubt the AK is easier to clean thoroughly. On the other hand it doesn't take much to keep an AR running for a long time. A boresnake and a few drops of oil in the bolt and they will run. They will run dirty as crap, just not dry.

I don't have much experience with the AK, but the one my dad has will run dry and dirty for a long time.

I can't afford to shoot my AR near as much as I want to. The most I have ever shot in one sitting was 400rds. It was clean when I started and it kept running through all 400 rounds of steel Hornady.

Hard to go wrong with either one. I wouldn't let cleaning be an issue. If it is shoot it until it starts jamming and give it a cleaning. Probably only clean it once or twice a year unless you have a $600/month ammo budget.

3. I think the AR is easier to clean because of better access to the chamber area.

AKs are much more forgiving from a poor / lack of maintenance perspective.