close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Easiest "Automatic" HDD Backup?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Obi Wan, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Obi Wan

Obi Wan

Oct 13, 2007
    'Round the bend...
    I've got a simple system right now. Basically a single 120 gig HDD with an external USB 120 gig portable HDD I use for my 'My Doc' backup.

One of these days I'll probably install the HDD from my old PC as an onboard 'D' drive, but I'm still using the old PC for taxes and some financial stuff so it ain't gonna happen immediately.

Is there a simple way to set up an automatic back-up of my 'My Documents' for just the updated files/folders, and maybe another folder or two (e.g., Pictures), versus having to back up all of it every time?

As it is I'm just doing it manually when I remember to do it before I close down for the night, and that's a bit risky.

Thanks.

2. srhoades

srhoades

Jul 14, 2000
    If you can keep it no larger than 2 GB's, Mozy will back it up over the internet for free AND to your external drive at the same time, all automatically.

3. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

4. +1 for Cobian as a free Windows backup utility. I use it on my one remaining Windows system.

5. Obi Wan

Obi Wan

Oct 13, 2007
    'Round the bend...
    I'm sure it will/is over 2 GB's, and if not, will be. Besides, at least for now, I don't want to put any backups of any personal files on the Internet. It's tough enough keeping things secure at home, much less trusting cyberspace.
    Thanks, I'll take a look at them. :cool:

6. srhoades

srhoades

Jul 14, 2000
    It's highly encrypted.

7. Obi Wan

Obi Wan

Oct 13, 2007
    'Round the bend...
    So are the DOD systems, et al, and they get cracked 'every day', right?

Just sayin'...

8. MavsX

MavsX The Dude Abides

Jan 19, 2009
    Arlington, VA
    carbonite.com is pretty easy unlimited amount of storage flat rate. i think its 55 a year. also its x-mas time i think they offer like a 3 year plan for $120

9. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

Jun 20, 2003
    Lovin Sparks Nv!
    Carbonite and Mozy offer almost the same packages...

BUT - Mozy allows you to backup to an external USB device as well! Local restorations are *MUCH* faster than Online...

For instance -

I am currently testing my backups due to another thread I read on another forum. Won't say who's service said 'tough luck' to their user, and the fellow is an older gentleman who many not have 'assured' his backups... but still, telling someone 'tough, we don't have your data' without a reasonable explanation is kinda harsh... so I am testing mine 'to be sure'... :cool:

Restored 49Gb of my Mozy backup to a Test directory in just over 1 hour this morning. It was finished by 9:30am...

I immediately began downloading the *same* set to another location on my drive.. It's now 4:00pm and it appears to be halfway done. It should finish in the middle of the night (and I ain't staying up to time it! :wow:) and that's on a 10 meg down pipe. Of course Mozy throttles it, they all do...

So - I really like the Local Restore option! And, if the house burns down, or my stuff is ripped off I can still access all the data as I begin the download at the new site or with new equipment.

Mozy Rocks for me... So far!

HTH...

10. mgo

mgo

Aug 9, 2010
    SyncBack has a freeware version of their excellent program. I paid the $40.00 or so for the "Pro" version, just because I like to support good software.

It will back up files that are open, like Outlook and Word, etc, so you do not have to close programs to make a backup.

It can be scheduled to run as often in a day as you like.

I use an external USB drive for backups and keep it in the trunk of the car. That's -my- cheapskate version of off site backup!

11. Obi Wan

Obi Wan

Oct 13, 2007
    'Round the bend...
    Just an update for anyone who may be wondering about these things...

I've been using the Cobian Backup program for the past week and it really is a piece of cake. I had to correct one folder path the first day and since then I've got it backing up incrementally every night with no issues.

Thanks for the suggestion! It'll keep me out of trouble until I get a more in-depth/online(?) setup.

12. Good to hear! It really is a great little free program.

13. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

Good ... now the last and most important step of any data backup routine ... be sure to verify that the data is good/usable.

14. kc8ykd

kc8ykd

Oct 6, 2005
    michigan
    this is incredibly important, and something i'd recommend checking once every month or two to ensure the backups are working properly.

we had this tape robot at work in which one of the drives was mucking up the data on tapes.. didn't find out about it till a couple months after we started using it, the hard way. i think it was like $80k to bring it back into warranty, but it sure looked cool as the arms moved around.

15. muscles

muscles CLM

Sep 7, 2004
    i use time machine on mac...is there anything similar for windows?

16. srhoades

srhoades

Jul 14, 2000
    Acronis. I use it.

17. Obi Wan

Obi Wan

Oct 13, 2007
    'Round the bend...
    Excellent point. I've verified the "My Documents" data is readable, etc, but am puzzled by the fact that each nights incremental change log becomes a new "My Documents" folder tree. I guess I was expecting that the 'full backup' log would just get the changed files/folders updated each day. As it is, I'll need to manually delete the extra folder trees each week or so to keep from filling up space.

Or do I just have a setting set wrong? I opted to set it up as an "application' instead of a service because the service instructions confused me at the time.

Here's what the log file looks like for my Outlook folder backup...

See anything odd?

Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  18. I believe there is a setting for creating new folder based on date or something (not near my Windows system so I don't know the exact details). You'll want to deselect it.