close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Ear Protection? Surefire Sonic Defenders

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Dewberry, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Dewberry

Dewberry

Jul 20, 2010
    Texas
    Surefire Sonic Defenders

has anyone tried these, they are supposed to be ear plugs that block out loud noises but let you hear normal noise levels. Im kinda skeptical but if they work like advertised I would be really interested.

2. I have several pairs of both the 3's and 4's, best ear plugs I've ever tried. I wear them under my earmuffs when shooting, gave up earmuff on my riding mower and only wear Sonic Defenders.

3. SouthpawG26

SouthpawG26

Sep 4, 2004
    Suriname
    Great product. Get the EP7, which comes with an extra set of removable earplugs , and drop them in a small bowl of rubbing alcohol every 2-3weeks, then dry them off. Unless you're of very small posture, you'll need the M or L size, and the Surefire website shows you what ear measurement you need to take.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  4. Dewberry

Dewberry

Jul 20, 2010
    Texas
    have yall ever tried shooting with the little press in tabs in the open position? how well do they block sound in the open position?

5. CJStudent

CJStudent Fenced In

Nov 3, 2005
    KY
    I used them during firearms qual for work this last time, and I loved them. It wasn't quite normal hearing; it was somewhat muffled, but not nearly as bad as wearing regular plugs or muffs, but it still blocked out the harmful noise.

6. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    I've been using them since their introduction.

Not as good as electronic muffs, but better than foamy plugs.

I've worn EP3's (tab open) during a 5,000 round M240 qual on a semi-indoor range, as well as running up to a pair of F-16s with their engines running during an alarm response and many other times shooting since.

They work fine.

7. Dewberry

Dewberry

Jul 20, 2010
    Texas
    Awesome guys, thanks. I'm definitely adding these to my list of things to get

8. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Jan 20, 2004
    Alaska, again (for now)
    I pull the guts out and use them for my aviation commo head set, as well as regular ground use. Love em.