close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

DVR questions

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Glock!9, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Glock!9

Glock!9

My wife and i tend to record and watch different shows. Many times these shows over lap, often i don't get my shows recorded because 3 are scheduled. Are there solutions out there for this or is that just how we are limited by the cable companies?
    I have Verizon Fios at the moment.
    I am also annoyed that i cannot watch TV or recorded shows on my ipad.

EDIT to ADD: First world problems, I know...

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  2. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

You could always try and find the show on Hulu, NetFlix, Side Reel type sites and some shows you can watch directly on the networks website the next day or a few days after its aired. I also heard downloading shows has become popular :whistling:

:50cal:

3. Resqu2

Resqu2

I think with my Comcast setup I can record 2 at the sametime while watching a 3rd channel.

4. Cmacc

Cmacc

Only if the DVR has 3 separate tuners....it is a problem and there are no automatic solutions. (First world problems) Often programs are repeated if they are on cable channels. Topshot for instance on the History Channel plays several other times throughout the week but the auto record option may not recognize this.

I used to record "The O'Reilley Factor" on Fox News and it is run twice each evening 7pm central and again at 10pm central. If I set the DVR to record the 10pm showing it would always record it then.

May take some experimentation.

5. ArtificialGrape

ArtificialGrape CLM

I unfortunately don't know if this is an option for Comcast, but with DirecTV we added a DVR to the teenager's room (in addition to the living room), and the "whole house DVR" option, so we can record 2 shows in the living room, and 2 more simultaneously in her room. We can then watch any show from either location. Of course it does add some additional up front and monthly expense.

-ArtificialGrape

6. Viper16

Viper16

if you have the "on demand" setup where you can watch certain channels and their episodes in the "on demand" section of your subscriber, then I would find out which ones come out on it and prioritize. Now you will have to wait a week or so before they put it on for instant access...at least that is the way it works with my cable company.

7. gigab1te

gigab1te

This is easy to fix-- just go into the DVR's settings and change the priority of your shows to a higher priority than her shows. Just don't get caught...

8. Dragline

Dragline

Right you can not record a third live show, but what you can do with a regular two tuner DVR is use the two tuners to record two different shows, and you will still have the ability to watch a third show off the DVR that has previously been recorded.

My wife and I broke down a couple years ago and just went with a second DVR which (almost always) solves the TV conflicts. :cool:

9. Glock!9

Glock!9

we have 2 but cannot watch the content in the same room. We both want to use the same place to watch lol

10. jpa

jpa CLM

I hate the DirecTV DVR...it lags terribly when watching recorded shows over the network and freezes constantly. However, at least I'm not living in a straw hut in Africa, pooping outside the front door and worrying about being eaten by a lion at night....

11. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Pretty sure Comcast is only 1 show recording, one watching or 2 shows recording, pick one to watch OR (this is always funny) 2 shows recording, watching another DVR'd show.

You can select preferences with Comcast. That way show A always has top priority. I forget how to do it, but it's irrelevant to you as you have FiOS. But there is an option for that.

12. D-E-F-E-N-S-E!

D-E-F-E-N-S-E! AAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

I did not want to deal with this problem, so I built my own out of a Windows computer with Media Center. With 7 HD tuners available, my daughter and wife can record whatever the hell they want and it does not interfere with normal viewing or my recordings.

It is a hassle sometimes, but damn if it isn't effective.

13. ronin.45

ronin.45

I try to check every few days to make sure I don't have any conflicting shows. As others stated, you can program shows to record at certain times. If a show repeats itself later in the evening I'll set that time to record, thus opening up a slot earlier on. Also, figure out which shows are available on demand. Some shows I don't bother recording because I can watch them on demand a few days after they air.

14. Viper16

Viper16

*drool* what size HDD's? Curious about this setup! I would like to do something like that.

15. Glock!9

Glock!9

same here!

16. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

Look into Mythtv.
    You can do similar things as stated for the MediaCenter recorder, and you can use TB drives, even several TB drives.

17. Glock!9

Glock!9

I wasnt able to find any options for running that with a cable service.

18. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

Depends on the box the cable co gives you. It has provisions to control the cable box.

I can't speak to the ins & outs of doing it with cable because I use a Dish Network satellite box, which Mythtv controls with an IR blaster.

19. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

What?? I never have any lag or freezes with my setup. Call them and have it fixed. Shows start about 5-10 seconds after selecting them and there are no other hiccups.

20. costanza187

costanza187 I like Macs

Never mind.

Last edited: May 1, 2012