close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

DVD's in Linux

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by lomfs24, Oct 29, 2004.

1. lomfs24

lomfs24

Apr 19, 2003
    Montana
    Has anyone gotten DVD's to play in Linux?

2. The commercial movie DVD's have copyrighted material,such as Dolby and encryption.You can download for certain Linux distros software that will play them and some big Linux distros that are paid include licenses for the software.Not all of them do.Some Linux distros are meant to play DVD's and come from countries with weaker laws or they are so small distros that they go unnoticed

3. I think I have had the best results with DVD's on Linux with Conectiva 10.It's from Brazil.Linux from Eastern European countries will play some DVD's too.

4. srhoades

srhoades

Jul 14, 2000
    The distro has nothing to do whether it can play a dvd or not. Get mplayer, get the codecs, your done.

Search for mplayer at linuxquestions.org and you will get probably a thousand returns.

5. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Oct 7, 2002
    you need libdvdcss

google that, and you should be closer to the solution.

if not, post here again. i use Xine, it's great.

#yum install libdvdcss

if you have the right repositories in fedora core.

6. I don't watch movies on my PC.I'm sure any of the software required can be install on any Liunx but I know some distros have more DVD support than others.