close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

DVD Playing from Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Viper_Audio, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Viper_Audio

Viper_Audio

Jun 4, 2002
    Michigan
    I have some Ripped DVD's on DVD-R's. I wish to dump them to my hard drive so I can play them without using the DVD drive. The Reason is I am going on a long plane trip and playing from the HDD takes less battery.

Anyway, how can I compress them to a smaller size and be able to play them from the HDD? These are already De-Crypted DVD's.

Thanks

2. Halo

Halo Millennium Member

Nov 2, 1999
    Charlotte, NC
    For smaller size, you would need to transcode them into a format such as DivX. That can be a lengthy compression process, though it's possible to squeeze it down to a few hundred megabytes while maintaining decent quality.

If you have a pretty large HD, the simpler option would be to create images of the discs on your HD and mount them as a virtual drive. You can also just copy the contents of the DVD (AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS) into a directory and play it back with some player software.