close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Duty Trigger - Skimmer, Vanek, or ZEV

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by dm_graham308, Mar 13, 2014.

1. dm_graham308

dm_graham308

I recently purchased a G19 Gen4 and after putting in a Ghost connector a 25cent trigger job and about 600 rounds the trigger still feels sub-par. I currently carry a G21 Gen3 with a Ghost connector and 25c trigger job and love it. During quals I am putting all 50 rounds into a 5" group center of mass. I'm not sure why the 19 trigger feels so much worse than the 21 with the same "upgrades".

I am now to the point that I just want to buy an aftermarket/dropin trigger so that I can carry the 19 both on duty and for a ccw safely. I have done a lot of searching online and on here and I have found a lot of reviews for these triggers, but none of the reviews really compared them together. I am leaning more towards the Vanek and the Skimmer because of the use of "stock" parts, but I really like the flat face of the ZEV trigger.

How do theses triggers compare?
    -Skimmer
    -Vanek (not sure which would be better)
    -Zev (Duty)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  2. jasanch5

jasanch5

You don't want to hear this but... factory "-" connector plus polish, a q-tip, and 15min of your time... -or- leave it be.

3. Inebriated

Inebriated

Do you do any dry fire? A new trigger won't replace fundamentals.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  4. JBP55

JBP55

I am surprised your department will allow aftermarket triggers. This one is tuned factory OEM parts. Do not use a 4.0# firing pin spring on a duty pistol.

GSSF Trigger Kit

Kit includes all Glock parts:

Smooth Face Trigger w/Trigger Bar
    Tuned 4.5 Connector
    Firing Pin Safety
    Trigger Housing
    Firing Pin Safety Spring
    Firing Pin Spring

Item: GSFTK.................................................................$150.00

Shipping and Handling......................................................$6.00

Generations 1, 2, and 3 use the same kit.
    .10mm SF / .45 cal SF models use the same kit as the Gen 4

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  5. mark!

mark!

I'm surprised they'd allow any modification to internals as well. But if it were me, I'd go with Glock stock parts, not anything related to the race gun industry.

6. Tornado_Racing

Tornado_Racing

Im pretty happy with my Gen4 Skimmers. All factory Glock parts, short takeup, firm wall, crisp break, and a positive reset.

I did call about the "safety" issues and was re-assured I had nothing to worry about with the Skimmer.

7. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Silver Member

Never heard of a department allowing trigger modification...

8. dm_graham308

dm_graham308

I think that I yall have helped me narrow it down to one of the Vaneks or the Skimmer. My department is a large department and ranks within the top 5 in all of the FBI lists, so my likelyhood of having to put rounds into a moving target are great. I understand that most depts don't like officers "customizing" their (personally owned) duty weapons, but when it comes to any type of fight I will look for the edge. And if I can run the gun faster AND more efficent then I'm all in. I have solid fundamentals and I am at the range running drills at least 3 times a week, but I guess we can all improve. I'm just not big on the 1000 round trigger job, when I can get a Vanek or a Skimmer and use the 1000 rounds more efficiently.

9. hunter 111

hunter 111

I run a glock stock 4.5 connector
    a competition trigger spring
    smooth face glock stock trigger

That is the most I feel I "get away with" and justify in court if it is used

10. Joshhtn

:rofl:The way you're talking, I can guarantee that you're not LE... Mall ninja maybe, but your not LE. :rofl:

You gotta love the internet!! :supergrin:

glock1991 likes this.
  11. lpo

lpo what?!?!?!?!?

I had my suspicions as well.

12. Joshhtn

I've never understood the need to fabricate a life for the internet... You know your life sucks when you have to fictionalize who you are.

It's good for a laugh though, and for that I'm thankful. :supergrin:

glock1991 likes this.
  13. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

What Department would you have us believe you work for?

glock1991 likes this.
  14. Cashgap

Cashgap

Keep in mind, the FBI has several types of lists... :rofl:

If you think some trigger parts give you an "edge", I would like to introduce you to my three friends... training, dry firing, and the firing range. They can give you an edge that a Bob Munden trigger can't provide.

glock1991 likes this.
  15. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

The "safest" thing would be to leave it stock.

16. Bruce M

Bruce M

The question though is not what "most" departments "don't like" but rather what are the specific regulations for your department.

This could certainly get good :popcorn:

17. Clusterfrack

Clusterfrack

I do not recommend any aftermarket trigger for defensive (or duty) use. The advantages don't come close to outweighing the disadvantages.

I use (.) connectors in all my Glocks other than my gamer gun, which has a Vanek GM and Jager striker. The differences are measurable on the 0.01s - 0.1s timescale in time to first shot and splits--not a concern for a defensive gun. No major differences in accuracy, and I find that I am actually a little more accurate on multiple shots weak-hand with a stock trigger. Significant difference in reliability (lower for aftermarket trigger/striker).

18. Bruce M

Bruce M

This regularly bears consideration and repeating.

19. dm_graham308

dm_graham308

First- The original question/purpose of this thread was to get the opinions of those who have shot these triggers and to get a comparison of their function, fit, and reliability for possible duty use. And to those who have answered that question, Thank you.

Second- For those who would rather try to point out that most depts don't allow their officers to change or alter the internals of their pistols; I appreciate your words of caution, but I'm a grown man and if I do something wrong and get in trouble for it I will take the punishment given.

Third- For those who doubt the validity of my employment; I'm not going to bow out my chest and start posting pictures of my badge, ID, or anything to prove that I am a sworn officer because I know I am, and I couldn't care less what you think about/of me. No one here signs my checks.

Moderators - I request that either the non-topic posts in this thread be deleted or just delete/close the entire thread because it is clearly not answering the intended question and is of no use to anyone.

20. Clusterfrack

Clusterfrack

When you modify your gun you can't rely on Glocks QC anymore. You have to do your own if you're going to trust it with your or someone else's life. That will take several 1000 rounds and some hard work.

I'm not interested in doing that, and all aftermarket triggers I have used or seen are not as reliable as stock.