close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Duty carry a Glock 27 opinions

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by PattonT, Feb 4, 2012.

1. PattonT

PattonT

May 22, 2010
    South East
    I really like baby Glocks, a Glock 27 in this case. I am as accurate with it as I am a Glock Service size (G22) or a Compact (G23). I am a full time sworn officer but I may be going back to school fulltime on my GI Bill at which point in time I will drop back down to a Reserve status and work about 20hrs a month. Long story short if you could would you carry a Baby Glock as a primary for road patrol. My Chief says carry what ever you are comfortable with. Almost my entire department carries Glock 22's but only full time are issued them. I don't have enough cash to add another Glock to my personal armory so I would have to sell the 27 to get a Glock 23 or 22 or whatever. What would you do? I would carry it with a Glock factory extension but full size reloads possibly.

2. ZekerMan

ZekerMan ZekerMan

Feb 21, 2010
    Kansas
    I would have no problem carrying a G27 for your purposes, sounds like the smart thing to do in your situation. Good luck if you decide to go back to school.

3. dvrdwn72

dvrdwn72

Nov 26, 2010
    obviously your quite confident in your 27. carry it. use a 15 rounder as your backup mag.

4. barth

barth six barrels

Oct 7, 2011
    The Free Zone
    Get an X-grip and be happy!
    [​IMG]

5. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

Jan 18, 2001
    I'd get a used police trade-in G-23 or 22 and a used snubby for school. That's how I roll.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  6. jglsprings

jglsprings

Jun 26, 2009
    So if you are full time now what do you carry and who provides it for you? If you go part time they won't let you keep your duty weapon? I'm sorry if I'm missing something here. Is the part time with a different agency?

If I couldn't come up with a G23 or G22 on my own I'd use the xgrips (or something like that). I carry two extra G23 mags with spacers for my concealed carry G27.

7. hsprincipal

hsprincipal

Nov 19, 2011
    Kentucky
    I agree. I just ordered an X-grip for my 15 rounder to carry with my G27. Midway USA has them for 12.99.

8. PattonT

PattonT

May 22, 2010
    South East
    My agency will only issue a weapon to the full time officers. I probably will get to continue to use it until we all requal though. Just not enough Glock 22's for everyone to have one.

I am probably going to just sell the G27 and get a G23 to cover both roles.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  9. It isn't so much the carryin' or the shootin'.... think about the draw. Firing grip to trigger squeeze in less than two seconds. Although I shoot the 27 very well, I still haven't mastered the draw to my satisfaction. Thus I ocasionally carry it with some reservation.

Big hands and middle age haven't helped any either. Also consider weapon retention, reloading manipulation, clearing drills etc. In the end, it is ultimatey your choice.

10. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk Isaiah 53:4-9

Sep 5, 2010
    Texas
    Uniform carry should be full size. I say go for the G22. For back up, plainclothes, go for the G27 with G22 magazines for reloads.

11. I think thats the way to go. Although the 27 is a great ccw gun I don't think its ideal for duty. If something goes down you want a firearm that you can get a good full grip on, whether for a better grip on the draw, firing, or resisting a gun grab. In your situation nothing less than ideal will do.

12. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

Jun 14, 2002
    So you're police officer? You listed yourself as former in August but current full time here. What agency are you a police officer for? I think you were looking for Cop Talk. You'll like it there. :) Now, a 23 is tops. I carry a 23c on and off duty.

13. PattonT

PattonT

May 22, 2010
    South East
    I had a break in service and now I work for a small department with 5 fulltime and about 4 parttime officers. The pay is bottom of the barrel but it does give opportunities that young patrolman don't typically get. It was about all I could get without moving to the other side of the state since my wife has a good job and we have a house here.

I am going to just get a 23 as I really like my old trusty 19(It was grandpa's) and with the PG19 ext on the bottom I think it draws better than my glock 22. I do have a collection of snubbys to carry offduty/backup. The other problem I have is the rangemaster doesn't let us qualify with more than three weapons including the duty weapon
    [​IMG]

So another question. How many Departments let you qualify with a Glock 22 and then carry any Glock 22? I'm asking if anyone works somewhere that is not serial number specific but just model specific? Ours is serial number specific even though I don't think they copied mine down.

For some reason I don't have the priviledge of starting threads on CopTalk.

14. ET.

ET.

Jan 11, 2010
    I carry a G27 all day every day. BUT I too think that a 22 or 23 is more suitable for duty carry with the 27 as a back-up. But that's just me...

15. PattonT

PattonT

May 22, 2010
    South East
    Well something that I left out intentionally is that I believe if all I had was the Glock 27 they may let me keep the Glock 22 longer. It's great having a "free" Glock and even though I prefer a little smaller.

16. ssharber

ssharber

Dec 1, 2002
    My hands are too big for the sub compacts. It sounds though like you are comfortable with them. In the end, if your department will let you keep your issue longer because all you have is the 27 then thats what I would do. The 23 is a perfect fit for my grip and a perfect carry gun for me.

17. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    I would absolutely not carry a baby glock on duty, much less on patrol.

Alot of our detectives carry a G27 on duty, and I dont even like that.

Carry a real gun! Atleast a G19/P229 sized gun and atleast two reloads.

18. saddlebum

saddlebum

Feb 9, 2009
    will they not let you carry 9mm, you said you have a g19,i'd carry that

19. Patton,

If you are good with the 27, pack it.

10 shots plus instantaneous reload will do.

But do practice as much as you can, no matter what you carry.

Deaf