close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Duracoat over krylon

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by cb3725, Nov 3, 2010.

1. cb3725

cb3725

I have an older kylon'ed hipoint 995. Basically, I also have some leftover duracoat I want to use and am curious if anyone has ever tried duracoating directly over krylon after degreasing but without removing the krylon first. I'd strip it, but I don't know how acetone or MEK would affect the plastic stock.

2. RobarGuns

RobarGuns

I suspect the adhesion would be spotty over the Krylon. I would also cautoin you against using acetone or MEK on plastic parts!

3. ontarget1911@gmail.c

ontarget1911@gmail.c

I have redone several plastic guns that have had previous "refinishes". I just media blast them and then refinish with Duracoat. Of course if the finish is 3-10 coats thick then I am not sure this would work well.

Jess
    OnTarget Custom Gunworks

4. hamburger

hamburger

Brake cleaner is safe against polymer frames. I've done it. I haven't soaked it over night, but have sprayed it to remove existing grease.

I think brake cleaning sprays will remove krylon, but definitly not duracoat.

5. Gamer53

Gamer53

My other half, who does duracoating, tried the duracoat over krylon on an old Shotgun as a test. She covered half the shotgun with DC over krylon and the other half with DC. She then had my #1 son take it out in the field and in the back of the PU for a month.. With the DC over K, the DC chipped and showed wear marks down to the metal. The DC alone showed normal wear for the DC.