close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dunkin Donuts advertising on Memorial Day

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Tvov, May 28, 2012.

1. Tvov

Tvov

This just pissed me off. I was in my small town today, standing at the town green, respectfully watching the Memorial Day ceremony. We all hear the buzz of a small, low airplane. Look up, and what do we see???

A small plane towing a Dunkin Donuts banner. At 10:30AM on Memorial Day. When all the local towns are having Memorial Day ceremonies on their town greens. And the plane loops around a couple times before flying off.

I am going to send them a letter / email about it. It will be a long time before I go into a Dunkin Donuts again.

2. puckhead

puckhead

Are they franchised owned?

3. jpa

jpa CLM

So you're saying Dunkin Donuts should have checked with every organizaton in town to see if they're holding Memorial Day services and at what time, then scheduled the plane to fly at a different time so as not to disrupt those services?

Should they also check with schools and find out what time would be most convenient for the school so as not to disrupt recess or gym class outside?

I agree that memorial day services are a big part of why Monday was a holiday, but do you think everything else is going to stop while the services are going on?

4. FTjoe

FTjoe

:rofl::rofl:

what ever happened to business being closed for holidays? or sundays for that matter? once the businesses realized that the consumer will shop on those days after their celebration, they began opening and will do so till we're all gone. look at thanksgiving. kmart opened a few years ago. now walmart and others have joined. we did it to ourselves. guess saving a buck or two is more important than spending time with family and/or friends.

5. KalashniKEV

KalashniKEV

Is there supposed to be an advertising ban on Memorial Day?

I didn't know...

6. devildog2067

devildog2067

They realized that holidays are actually huge money makers, that's what.

Why should businesses be closed on Sundays?

7. Easterbrook

Easterbrook Wagon Burner

Yes, nearly all Dunkin' Donuts locations are franchisee owned and operated.

So the OP can write a letter to the corporate HQ, but it's highly doubtful that the HQ will know anything about the banner in the sky.

8. Easterbrook

Easterbrook Wagon Burner

Well, naturally because it's one of the only two days a week I (and most working Americans) don't have to work and actually have time to shop.

9. Glock13

Glock13

The Dunkin Doughnuts here treats it's military very well. Military discounts every day, plus if you buy a dozen doughnuts, you get the second dozen for $2 if you are military. I have been nothing but impressed with ours.

10. LawScholar

LawScholar

+1. I don't attend church and it drives me crazy when everything is closed on Sunday.

11. KalashniKEV

KalashniKEV

This.

Dunkin' Donuts does more for the military than any other company.

They always donated free coffee to MWR, CPs, and TOCs without customer sponsorship. They insisted on giving me a military discount every-single-morning even though I tried to get out of it every-single-time.

I'm nothing but appreciative of their support, but a lot of people say it had to do with this BS:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/americanism.asp

12. toshbar

toshbar Timber Baron

You should have grabbed your Panzerschreck from the trunk and solved the problem then and there.

13. Tvov

Tvov

Well, it bothered me. A lot. Being buzzed by an advertising banner while remembering veterans who are no longer with us. Do I think everything else should stop while Memorial Day services are going on? Actually, I do. I know it won't happen.

The plane could have waited for the afternoon, when everyone is at the beach or backyard barbeques, it is easy enough to find out that all the parades (as far as I am aware) took place in the morning. Part of what pissed me off was that any advertising hack DOES know that, and it most likely was intentional that the plane flew over (and looped around) our area just when everyone was gathered for the service.

That's all. I had my rant. Back to work.

14. devildog2067

devildog2067

Do you think the veterans would want that? I doubt it.

15. Tvov

Tvov

I am not sure what you are asking. I do think Veterans wouldn't be against businesses being closed for at least a little while while memorial services are held.

I think you are stretching what I am saying. Like this...
    Do you think veterans just want everyone to go work like normal on Memorial Day? All businesses should be open? Roads shouldn't be closed (even temporarily) for parades? No one should go to memorial services because it takes time out of their day? Why bother having a Memorial Day? People have things to do.

Most of the responses to this thread just are... sad.

16. devildog2067

devildog2067

I am a veteran.

Yes. I want life to go on. I want America to be full of happy Americans. A minute of silence and a parade are more than enough.

17. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Soldiers gave their lives to preserve the capitalism we enjoy.

18. Tvov

Tvov

So, we sort of agree. Showing some respect on Memorial Day is not a bad thing.

I just thought (and still think) that being buzzed by a low flying plane towing an advertising banner during memorial services was too much.

19. FTjoe

FTjoe

ah yes, the almighty dollar. guess shopping trumps spending time/relaxing with family & friends on a holiday. 'nuff said.

20. devildog2067

devildog2067

What about the guy who needs to keep his store open, so he can pay the rent, so that he can feed his family?

Nah, screw that guy.

No one's holding a gun to your head and making you go shopping. I didn't shop at all yesterday, but I was glad that the restaurants were open. You do whatever you want, and let everyone else do whatever they want. Last time I checked that's what "freedom" meant.

Last edited: May 29, 2012