close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dumbest thing done to a used Glock by previous owner?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by jhc37013, Aug 11, 2012.

1. jhc37013

jhc37013

So I found a previous owned Glock 30SF the other day and it had a used tag on it but look like it had never been fired, every part that normally wears on a Glock that normally shows wear after a couple mags looked liked it had never been touched. With the price and condition I bought it on the spot, awesome right a brand new Glock with a used priced tag, well not entirely.

I got home and noticed some built up debris between the extractor and extractor rod and then I check the firing pin by pushing down the safety plunger and the firing pin would not drop down so I manually pressed the firing pin down and guess what the the firing pin did come when pushed but so did a gob of grease on the tip o the firing pin, you see where this is going right?

I opened up the slide pulled out the firing pin and extractor rod then the extractor and safety plunger (or whatever its called), every single part was coated with lime green grease. :shocked:

The grease was on and in everything and thick very thick, in the firing pin channel, behind the extractor, in the extractor channel, in the springs, on the firing pin, in the plunger. I was pretty shocked to say the least.

Anyways two hours later lots of q-tips, alcohol and plastic safe degreaser and it was as good as new but WHY would anyone who knows how to open up the slide and get to all the internal parts put a crap load or grease in there? Sure I knows it not very hard to dissasemble a Glock slide but it is a small process and I would think anyone who knows those steps would be smart enough to know not to put anything in those areas especially a whole bucket of grease.

You know it just seemed kind of fishy to me, I went to the place I bought it the next day and asked if someone had a grudge against them or Glock, I was sort of kidding but mostly not. I put 300 rounds through it with no problems it shoots great. I made the mistake of trying to use some reloads that same place sells to use in their range and they where so weak it barely ejected the brass, I immediately switched to factory ammo and all was well.

I did think maybe this previous owner bought those same reloads for his new 30 and went into their range and experienced those same crappy ejections and thought something was wrong so he went home and thought some grease would fix it. idk

Sorry for the long post but their was no other way to put it, your thoughts would be good and I also was interested to hear if you have experienced anything crazy with a used gun.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  2. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Was this at a gun shop? I would think most shops would prep a used gun better than that. Especially a Glock, which is so easy to work on.

3. ghostrider88

ghostrider88

wow!!! OK now U have it in proper working condition hows it shoot.

4. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

I saw, refused to buy, a G30 with a grip reduction performed with a hacksaw, seriously. The previous owner cut the hump off, it was flat with two little raised edges AND the sights were the original plastics and were smushed from an inertia aided contact with a hard surface.

Someone bought it, but it wasn't me.

5. ghostrider88

ghostrider88

backyard gunsmith bama t, WOW

6. jhc37013

jhc37013

Yes it was at a gun shop that serves as a range as well, I guess they just take the slide off and inspect it that way without testing the firing pin or whatever, this was really the only way to see something was wrong at first. The gun looked like it had never been shot so I guess they just went with that.

It shoots great I thought it would have more recoil, glad it doesn't. No ejection problems or anything like that other than the first 15 rounds I fired which as those crappy reloads they sell, felt like I was pea shooting and the ejection was weak, switched to factory ammo and all was good for the next 300.

Looks like a new'ish model I guess, the slide finish is the same as on my Gen4 19 and the ser# is RUH, maybe someone knows about when it was made everything was in the box except the test fire brass?

WTH, glad you caught it before you bout it, hopefully it was disclosed by the seller before the next guy didn't know any better.

7. ghostrider88

ghostrider88

Yep the 30sf is a great shooter love mine, if you have the test fire caseings "ENVELOPE" it has the test fire date on it should be close to the MFD

8. jhc37013

jhc37013

I just bought it on a whim but after shooting it I'm already starting to feel the same way, seemed really accurate and like I said I was thinking the recoil would be a hand full but I really didn't think anything of it, didn't feel to much different than my 19 with +p.

I was thinking the previous owner bought it new took it home and cleaned it then for some reason decided to put grease in all those areas then took it to the range and it misfired time after time so he traded it in without disclosing what he had done.

I just couldn't see any evidence that it had previously been fired, at the range I took the slide off after 35 rounds and seen just a small bit of wear on the barrel and lug that was not there when I bought it.

9. Jim S.

Jim S.

Perhaps the former owner was planning on burying it in his back yard and thought that would keep it from any corrosion damage.
    (just a far out there thought!)

10. jhc37013

jhc37013

lol could be you never know, the grease he used was lime green and the only thing I could find that matched that online was something called Green Grease which is suppose to be great for water proofing according to it's description.

I have a plastic Kroger bag about a quarter of the way full of q-tips with lime green grease on each end, some pipe cleaners are in there as well I used in the extractor channel. I wanted to get as much grease out as possible before I used the degreaser. It all worked out great everything ended up bone dry and grease free but dang what work it was.

11. avenues165

avenues165

A place I have purchased a few used pistols doesn't seem to do any cleaning, maintanence, etc. on their used firearms. This actually works out to my advantage, they look older and more beat up, more room to negotiate price.

I found a Beretta .32 for my wife that was used at this place. Really dirty, but hardly shot. Got it for a great price, took it home, bought a spare mag for it, and now it runs great. I would guess it turned into a jam-o-matic on the previous owner since it was so dirty. Their loss, our gain.

12. mongo356

mongo356

Craziest thing I ever saw......I watched someone trade a Glock for a 1911 once.:tongueout::rofl:

JK :supergrin:

13. samurairabbi

samurairabbi Dungeon Schmuck

On a used Glock I bought, the slide stop spring in the gun appeared to have been made out of a paper clip; the slide stop hole the "spring" fit into had been "expanded" to accomodate the thicker metal. I replaced the slide stop AND the spring.

14. USSOCOM

USSOCOM

Lime green, sounds like a little over use of Frog Lube.

15. youngdocglock

youngdocglock

I bought a $125 1911. Old colt 80. Cost $125 because the hammer would not drop, you couldnt force it down even if you tried and the shop didnt have time to work on it nor a gunsmith to do the job.

But at $125 i couldnt say no............

So i took it home, got the slide off with some effort. Then Realized the moron who had owned it before SPOT WELDED the hammer in place from the bottom internal right above the grip safety...

why he did this.......i will never know. But after 3 hours with a dremel, a cutting disc, a buffing pad and tons of polishing i was able to fit a new hammer, sear, and dis connector and get the weapon to function.

People are stupid, we cant fix that.

16. Andy W

Andy W

Who knows what goes through peoples' minds that makes them want to do something like this to a gun. Why would you pay money for something and then intenrionally ruin it? Same thing with the guy who saw a G30 that had a hack saw taken to the grip. Why would you buy a gun and then destroy it? Anybody who would spot weld the hammer back on a 1911 or any gun for that matter is clearly too stupid to own a weapon. I really can't get my mind around that one. Only thing I can even think of is that it was done intentionally to ruin it for whatever reason.

17. jhc37013

jhc37013

You might be right I originally said Green Grease because well it was the only thing I could find that may be green, now looking at Frog Grease online that very well could have been it.

So now it becomes even more suspicious, why would a guy who knows how to dissasemble a Glock and who also has Frog grease put all that grease inside the firing pin channel, extractor etc.. I don't know if I mentioned it but the rest of the gun was dry, I did a quick field strip in the store and the slide/barrel was completely dry.

18. youngdocglock

youngdocglock

exactly. I mean that wasnt a glock. But it was the dumbest thing i've ever seen, good thing i know my 1911's and im handy with a dremel haha

Dumbest glock thing......had "cash money" engraved in the side of a Gen1 17 that had no finish left but had a nice "BLING" badazzle job done to the grip lmao

19. Beretta92guy

Beretta92guy

that's why i don't buy used guns.....you never know what kind of whack-job "shade-tree" gunsmith has done to it.....

a couple months ago my friend bought a used Sig P229 357 Sig at a LGS for $399.....he showed it to me, and this thing looked brand spanking new, like it had never been shot.......could not believe it........

we started looking at it closer, and i noticed a thin-brown residue going down the back of the grip...you could barely see it......we took the grips off and the springs were coated in RUST...even the frame around the inside of the grips were rusted......the previous owner or the LGS cleaned it up enough so it would sell....

he's sending it back to Sig for repair...going to cost him, of course......

I won't touch a used gun, no matter how good the price........

but then again, you can't even buy a NEW one without problems (ala Glock BTF issues)

edit: and why in the hell would you SPOT WELD a hammer on a gun??????? WTF????

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  20. kckndrgn

kckndrgn

I've bought several used guns. Even one that was marked as "doesn't work". It was a Henry Survival Rifle and it would eject the spent shells to the left, inside the receiver instead of the right.

I called Henry and they sent me a shipping label, I sent the rifle to them and they returned it, in working order after a couple of weeks. No more problems.

Having worked at a gun shop/range that did consignment sales, we never tested the consignments,nor even took the guns apart for cleaning. It was buyer beware. So good deals could be had, along with there were plenty of overprices pieces of junk.