close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Duck n Hide

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by LilCop2002, May 25, 2011.

1. LilCop2002

LilCop2002
    Expand Collapse

As I go to the local PD to request an officer to work my wedding reception, the Chief of the PD asked me about my background. After I notice he hasn't made an appointment nor did he have a hat on, I mention the background briefly, at which point he asked if I was interested in reserve work. I answered that I was. He told me to come back on Monday to talk to the reserve LT.

Long story short, the LT wants me scheduled at the range for quals in June.

Oh lord...

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. CanIhaveGasCash

CanIhaveGasCash
    Expand Collapse

Where do you live that you would need a cop to work your wedding reception? I've never heard of that before.

Congrats on the wedding and the reserve position.

3. packsaddle

packsaddle
    Expand Collapse

most southern weddings require law enforcement on site.

4. collim1

collim1
    Expand Collapse
    Shower Time!

Its not uncommon for the venue to require that an officer be hired to protect their property while it is rented out.

I have seen alot of wedding receptions go stupid fast, and most places that host them are very nice properties.

5. Morris

Morris
    Expand Collapse
    CLM

Did at mine. Of course, we were married at Point Defiance Park in Tacoma so . . .

Congrats on the reserve slot!

6. collim1

collim1
    Expand Collapse
    Shower Time!

A reserve slot is not a bad gig. I was one while I was fisnishing college, it got my foot in the door and helped me get a job at my current agency.

I did alot of stuff like work wedding receptions and high school sports events.

7. SAR

SAR
    Expand Collapse
    CLM

The good news is that you're hired as a reserve. The bad news is you're gonna have to work your wedding reception. :tongueout:

8. CJStudent

CJStudent
    Expand Collapse
    Fenced In

:rofl:

Seriously, man, congrats on the reserve gig, and condolences on the wedding!

9. DaBigBR

DaBigBR
    Expand Collapse
    No Infidels!

Hard to stay away, ain't it?

Around here you generally need to hire a cop (usually SO reserves) to work any event serving alcohol at a non-licensed establishment (e.g. a lot of reception halls, community centers, parks, etc)

10. Ajon412

Ajon412
    Expand Collapse

Is this to keep the groom from running off???:rofl::rofl:

11. LilCop2002

LilCop2002
    Expand Collapse

Since I am having it at a government owned civic center and we will be serving small amounts of alcohol, I had to have a local LEO there.

Thanks a bunch! I need you to PM me some time. Got lots of ANG stuff to catch up on.

I'm doing my military job and I've had the LE itch for a long time, but I never could find a reserve gig that would accept me because of my Active Duty status.

I can honestly say that she is a keeper. Condolences while ribbing her, but the way that she works (Shooting, ATV Riding, cooking, education, career, and goals) are freaking awesome. I'm a lucky dude.

BTW, she's freaking Army... BLEH.

It is hard to stay away. Since I closed my security company in late '07, my gear and skills have just been rotting in the garage. I'm excited to be able to start using them again.

That, my friend, was funny as hell.

#11 LilCop2002, May 26, 2011
    Last edited: May 26, 2011
  12. spyd3r05

spyd3r05
    Expand Collapse

Reverse that and I have flashbacks of Smokey and the Bandit... haha

13. Vigilant

Vigilant
    Expand Collapse

Point Defiance Park. One of my favorite places out that way, particularly Camp 6, the logging museum. The Lidgerwood Tower Skidder they have on display came from Weyerhaeuser's Vail camp, which my dad ran in later years. Gotta love that one big aquarium too. Plus all the small ones.

14. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper
    Expand Collapse
    Almost Done

From your avatar, I see you already have the hat. You should have tried our reserves.:tongueout:

15. kpuscg04

kpuscg04
    Expand Collapse
    ACTA NON VERBA

I'm not the kind of guy to tell give condolences for a wedding. I've been married 7 years and I still think I'm a lucky guy. However....

That right there would be a deal breaker!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck, hope you like green :).

Coastie Sends

16. CJStudent

CJStudent
    Expand Collapse
    Fenced In

I guess one of y'all has to wear the pants, then......:whistling:

17. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121
    Expand Collapse
    BOOSH

GET OUTTA MY HEAD! :rofl: That's something would do, but I'm a total overtime whore, so it's understandable.

18. lawman800

lawman800
    Expand Collapse
    Juris Glocktor

I started as a reserve as did two of my friends, one who went full time a long time ago and one who went full time and now sold out to the dark side.

Oh well, can't win them all.

We don't require cops to work weddings but our guys usually rent out the church in town so we always show up when we are on duty so they get free security. Our buddies who get married out of town, always make sure to invite us (when we are off duty) and give us some type of security duty, which we are happy to perform.

#18 lawman800, May 27, 2011
    Last edited: May 27, 2011
  19. LilCop2002

LilCop2002
    Expand Collapse

The first shift was completed last night.

I did 4.5 hours at the junior football league and then 3.5 hours riding patrol with 2 traffic stops,1 prisoner transfer, several miles in the car, and several hundred questions under my belt. That's all fine, but I'm so green to this all that the prisoner asked how long I had been out of academy.

How did he know I was fresh? Spit polished boots. Oh, Lord!

20. lawman800

lawman800
    Expand Collapse
    Juris Glocktor

I look back on my own rookie time and realized there is no question about how it was apparent that I was a rookie. The tell is the same with any job. You can tell who the rookies are by how they carry themselves and how comfortable they seem doing their job. You'll be fine. Just keep it up.

#20 lawman800, Oct 23, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2011