close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dual Monitors

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by rfrf, Dec 30, 2008.

1. rfrf

rfrf

Apr 28, 2008
    I have a Dell Dimension 4600 XP with 4 gigs of memory. I trade stocks for a living and want to have multiple monitors. Do I need a AGP or PCI video card ? How many mbs do I need in video card ?
    Thanks for all of your help and suggestions
    RF

2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    Well, just looking at the specs for that computer. Its pretty old, the advantage is, if you're happy with the speed, etc, upgrading it should be cheap.

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/de...tium/4507-3118_7-30529709.html?tag=mncol;rnav

Assuming those specs are accurate, you have an 8x AGP slot, so all you need to do, is buy a second monitor, and buy a dual head video card. Again, just a guess on a PC that old, but I'm assuming you don't need DVI output, so just look for a dual VGA outputs, like the below (or you can use VGA/DVI adapters)

I run dual 19in screens on my main PC w/ this card... I'm sure ATI has some good offerings, but since I use Linux, I pretty much use only Nvidia...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143102

Plug it in, hook up both monitors, boot it up, and you'll have dual screens in no time(I've set it up under Windows also)...

IGF

3. DoubleWide

DoubleWide

Sep 3, 2008
    AGP
    As long as you're not playing games, you really don't need a top of the line card for multiple monitors. Just make sure it supports what you want for monitors. Figure $50-80.

4. rfrf

rfrf

Apr 28, 2008
    Thank you for your suggestions I think they will be helpful.
    RF

5. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Oct 3, 2000
    Lakeland, FL.
    I may be incorrect but if you have a serial monitor connection to the mother board and an agp card you will already have the required connections for two monitors although acceleration will be limited on the MB connection. I have an older machine with this setup but haven't added a second monitor so I'm reaching here.

6. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    There's probably a way to make them both work together, but Ive ran into conflicts, or it was slow. Also, some motherboards, when an AGP card is detected, the onboard video is disabled (Been there). Sounds like he's gonna have to buy a video card anyways, thus why I suggested a dual head card. It'll keep it simple, and will work great.

IGF

7. Most Intel Extreme Graphics chipsets do not support having AGP and internal monitor being active at the same time.

8. duncan

duncan Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Feb 15, 1999
    Seattle
    If you want to be productive, dual monitors is the way to go at a minimum.

9. Toyman

Toyman

May 6, 2003
    West Michigan
    Syntax Error: No Such thing as serial monitor connection. :rofl:

This is referred to as On Board Video.

rfrf, I've done a lot with multiple monitors for over decade, feel free to keep asking questions if you need to, there are plenty of guys here with experience in this. It's well worth the effort to get it going.

If you already have two monitor outputs on your machine such as Dual monitor video card or On Board Video (on motherboard) and a video card you can try to get it to work with your existing setup.

Otherwise, as others stated, get a card with dual outputs and you'll be fine, most have dual outputs. You may need to check your bios settings for which card (built in or agp) to use as primary. See your BIOS settings under:
    Integrated Devices -> Primary Video Controller

Once you get everything setup, you may need to enable the monitor in your Display Properties, Settings Tab, check "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor." setting.

Here's my setup: http://www.mikedixononline.com/my-home-office/

10. rfrf

rfrf

Apr 28, 2008
    I found that my video card was a NvidiaGe Force 5200. It has two outputs, a vga and a dvi. Hooked them up and did a little configuring and it worked. I am very appreciative of everyones help and suggestions. This is a great forum and I hope I can help someone else the way you guys have helped me.
    Thanks Again,

RF

11. PoiDog

PoiDog Gun Cultured

Feb 20, 2001
    ILL
    That is an amazing setup!

Very clean, not much clutter. Looks great.

12. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Oct 3, 2000
    Lakeland, FL.
    A little research turned up the correct answer. It appears to be referred to as an HD-15 connection. On board video describes the source not the connection that I incorrectly stated earlier.