close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Dual-Illuminated Trijicon RMR w/ 9 MOA Dot - First Impressions

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Airborne Infantryman, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Airborne Infantryman

Airborne Infantryman 'Murica!

Nov 20, 2009
    VA
    My Dual-Illuminated Trijicon RMR arrived today. I opted for the 9 MOA dot (RM05), as I felt that was a good trade-off between putting buckshot on target at close range, and slugs on target at farther ranges.

Upon receiving my RMR from Cal's Sporting Armory, I called Trijicon to check date of manufacture.......June 2012 production date. I like that Cal's keeps fresh stock on hand.

I also ordered an American Defense Manufacturing QD mount for the RMR. I must say I am very impressed with the fit and finish of the ADM mount. I do like the QD System, and the tool-less adjustments. The overall size of the mount and the RMR is a little bigger than a Gold Dollar. Small, and light.

I paid $369 for the RMR, and $55 for the ADM low QD Mount.

The RMR comes in a small Pelican case, and comes with the optic, two screws with loctite already on them, a manual, product guide, warranty card, and allen wrench for the mounting screws.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will say that in complete darkness, the amber dot doesn't glow as bright as green or red.....however, it is crystal clear.

Outside, in the 1 PM sun, the dot glowed a nuclear-bright amber color.......almost orange. VERY easy to pick up on.

I am overall very impressed with the dual-illuminated RMR. I have 3 of the LED powered RMRs, and they're all mounted on my ACOGs.....however, I can definitely see the Dual-Illuminated version being choice for an application where you want to make damn sure its gonna work every time, such as if it were a primary optic on a handgun or in my case, a shotgun.

I still need to do a range report on my new Trijicon SRS.......the stuff on the "To-Do" list keeps piling up on me.

Mounted on my Benelli M4-

[​IMG]

I decided to mount the RMR all the way forward, as didn't want crap from the ejection port flying up onto the lens of the optic. I've even had a massive face-engulfing fireball come from that ejection port. I can pick the dot up very fast, however, I found I can pick it up a little faster when the RMR is mounted all the way up against the rear sight, however its not a deal breaker having it all the way forward.

FUN FACT: Did you know the Benelli M4 Ghost Ring sight dots actually GLOW IN THE DARK?!?! Never knew that til I took my shotgun into the bathroom to check of the RMR, and behold, 3 little green dots and a big orange dot. I guess the paint is the "Superluminova" stuff that Beretta uses on the 90Two and PX4 Storm pistols.

Close up of the RMR on the ADM mount-

[​IMG]

Best shot I could get of the 9 MOA dot with my crappy camera. Room is dark, with only light from the window. Still illuminates really nicely.

[​IMG]

I really do see optics such as the Trijicon RMR, the wave of the future. Especially on applications such as handguns (think FNP-45 Tactical), and on shotguns. You get one of the most rugged optics for its size, and battery-free operation.

2. Trey83

Trey83

Feb 28, 2010
    You really do like your Trijicons dont you :rofl: I think that setup beats the heck out of the Burris speed bead.

3. Airborne Infantryman

Nov 20, 2009
    VA
    LOL. I am a Trijicon whore.

Might get my Glock 19C slide milled to accept a RMR. :whistling:

4. CJStudent

CJStudent Fenced In

Nov 3, 2005
    KY
    That's a pretty interesting sight; any idea how it would do on an AR?

5. Airborne Infantryman

Nov 20, 2009
    VA
    I've never used one on an AR, however, ADM does make a mount tall enough for a co-witness with an AR.

I reckon this would be really nice for a lightweight, K.I.S.S. build. :supergrin:

6. CJStudent

CJStudent Fenced In

Nov 3, 2005
    KY
    That's what I'm thinking. I usually keep my ARs with irons, though I've been thinking about an Aimpoint PRO. This, especially since it doesn't need batteries, seems like it might be a better option. Maybe tax time next year!

ETA: Is this the mount?

http://www.calssportingarmory.com/Trijicon-RM34-Tall-Picatinny-Rail-Mount-for-RMR-p/trrm34.htm

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  7. Airborne Infantryman

Nov 20, 2009
    VA
    The RM34 is one mount you can get, however, I highly recommend ADM's offering-

http://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/view/product/242/

8. Gdirty5

Gdirty5

Apr 9, 2008
    Louisiana
    I have the dual Lume rmr also, over all I like it but sometimes in a dim room it can be hard to see and it's very bright outdoors on a sunny day, almost too bright.

[​IMG]

9. CJStudent

CJStudent Fenced In

Nov 3, 2005
    KY
  10. NDCent

NDCent Socially Inept

Mar 19, 2010
    Ozarks
    Have you handled a Deltapoint? Your thoughts?

I'm so confused. I ordered a G35 (having a long wait for it to come in) and have been reading and searching for weeks trying to decide what to buy. I've read every review I can find and searched all the forums. I've narrowed it down to an RMR or the Deltapoint. I like both for different reasons. I'm really not wanting to mill the slide though, at least not yet. It's almost like Glock/1911 fanboys when it comes to reflex sight preference. I realize the RMR is probably more rugged, but I can't keep from coming back to the Leupold, plus most of my regular optics are Leupold.

It's going to be 99% range and target use. Kind of a semi race gun for an older fart, no competition use. Been kind of leaning toward a 3.5 dot too?

11. Airborne Infantryman

Nov 20, 2009
    VA
    I have no experience with the Delta Point, or any of Leupold's more recent offerings. :wavey:

However....I prefer my optics to not rely completely on batteries. YMMV, and your uses may dictate otherwise. The best thing is to choose what you think is right for you.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012