close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

dsl modem headaches

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by jolt8me, Dec 13, 2005.

1. jolt8me

jolt8me Your the devil

May 9, 2004
    Michigan
    My isp offered me a westell model 2100 modem/router for $100. I thought i could find something better. I have some questions.
    1) do all dsl modems offer the same performance?
    2)I already have a router and plan on networking 2 computors together to share the internet. Will installing this modem that already has a router cause problems with a router i already plan on installing?
    3)can anyone recommend a good dsl modem?

2. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Oct 7, 2002
    i've installed quite a few Westell modems.

only problem i've seen is when someone left a ton of paper covering one and it overheated and died.

3. I've had DSL for about 5 years.The Westell modem was free if I kept the DSL for at least one year.I still using it.It doesn't have USB,only ethernet and no router.

Now for the funny part which I think Westell has quit doing.The original DSL speed was suppose to be 750Mbit/s max.It was about half that.Along with the modem Westell offered a "program" to increase connection speed for an extra $50.I didn't pay it.About six months later the ISP(phone company) gave me a command/code to send to the modem from my PC.It was infact Westell's "secret" $50 program.It did improve the connection.

Since then the connection has gone to 1.5Mbit/s and now to 3Mbit/s.I'm still using that same Westell modem.Added my own router.If you join Yahoo Freecycle in your area you can "request" or say you are looking for a DSL modem.People moving or switching ISP's give away those modems.