close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Dry Firing Glocks, The Official Word

Discussion in 'The SHOT ShowCase' started by DannyR, Sep 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. COM165

COM165

Jul 31, 2008
    NY
    I just used the saf-t-trainers (dummy rounds) in my 19 and it didn't feel right. You can feel the resistance when the firing pin strikes the flat primer area. When I used the snap cap in my 27 it felt like a normal dry fire. I don't know the brand of snap cap. A friend of mine just gave me a 3 or 4 rounds. They just say 40S&W with a *-*. dunno?

Anyway, is it safe to use the dummy rounds in my 19 or should I invest in some real "snap caps"?

Thanks.

2. remat

remat

Mar 19, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    But who at Glock said it?
    I have been told that no Glocks are made in the U.S. by Glock Inc, in Smyrna too.

I want to see it in writing on official GLOCK letterhead. Unlike previous posters I would also accept word-of-mouth from Gaston Glock also. :)

3. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs

Apr 24, 2004
    They aren't made in the US. Only the lower receivers are.

4. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Dec 17, 1998
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Fine, write to Glock and request it. It's no fuzz off my peach if you choose not to accept my information. What matters to me is that I indeed believe my reliable source.

I should know better by now that any posting of reliable information results in a brawl, so I will not trouble you with any more informational posts.

5. chasbo00

chasbo00

Jul 21, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    Competition shooters have been dry firing the hell out of Glocks for over a decade. I just find it odd that Glock has not issued a caution or recommendation until now about excessive dry firing.

6. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs

Apr 24, 2004
    It doesn't matter. The material that the saf-t-trainers are made of is still designed to absorb the firing pin strike. The only reason snap caps are different is because they are designed to "snap" when struck. The important thing is that there is some form of support on the breachface.

7. NDCent

NDCent Socially Inept

Mar 19, 2010
    Ozarks
    True...

People smoked tobacco for centuries before they were told it could cause cancer.

8. COM165

COM165

Jul 31, 2008
    NY
    Thank you.

Please continue to post whatever info that you come across. There are many who appreciate the important updates from an experienced armorer.

9. Cody Jarrett

Cody Jarrett

Sep 14, 2006
    True. I also checked with Glock on this and got the same answer. Besides, I use a titanium striker. How will that get cracked?

10. bentbiker

bentbiker NRA Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Orange County, CA
    They have. Butch posted the same information 6 months ago and received the same reception -- "If it's not how I do it, it has to be wrong. I remove the copper anti-seize before shooting, I dry-fire without snap-caps, and I lube with engine oil. And I'm gonna keep on doin' it 'til they explode in my face. Nobody is gonna tell me I have to . . ."

11. JC2317

JC2317

Oct 7, 2009
    North Carolina
    Danny,
    I know you would not have posted it unless you thought the source was reliable. That's good enough for me.
    Thank You

12. freetobejbp

freetobejbp

Mar 15, 2008
    Irondale,AL
    The Glock Pros do it they told me so!

13. It seems to me that this is the expected precautionary advice from Glock. In other words, in their collective opinion, it's probably better not to do it (dry fire without snap caps), even though their pistols can obviously handle it...in fact, thousands of repetitions of it. As with any mechanical device, there is additional wear involved. It may be minute...but it's there. Glock is advising that their position is you minimize it even further with snap caps.

A least that's my take. No reason to go off the tracks over it, and personally, I appreciate Danny passing it on.

14. fastbolt

fastbolt

Jun 9, 2002
    CA Central Coast
    DannyR deserves thanks for taking the time to post this sort of info.

I'm unsurprised about this, FWIW.

I've never cared for the idea of excessive dry-fire when striker-fired pistols are involved. It's one thing to have a gently tapered firing pin being pushed through a breech face hole, but I've always suspected that it was another thing to have the mass of a striker-type firing pin being hammered against the rear of the slide's breech face. The mass of the striker-type firing pin's head would seem to act as a small hammer being beaten against the inner surface of the breech face.

I'd prefer some support on the front of the breech face when doing a lot of dry-fire, myself.

Also, it's not uncommon for firearm manufacturers to continually evaluate their products and make recommendations involving use. It's good business. Another example would be Glock's providing armorers with the Wearable Parts Replacement Schedule for .40's being used by LE. It provides a recommendation for the replacement of several parts in their .40 models based upon round count intervals, as well continuing to inspect and evaluate for potential parts replacement at an earlier point while in-service.

Thanks DannyR.

15. Old Style

Old Style

Jan 26, 2010
    N. E. Illinois
    +1 :thumbsup:

16. redbaron007

redbaron007 Some Dude Lifetime Member

Jan 26, 2009
    SWMO
    DannyR...FWIW....I appreciate your comments/posts. Don't let the those who would argue with Jesus discourage you. :supergrin:

:wavey:

red

17. platoonDaddy

platoonDaddy

Jul 20, 2010
    Maryland
    Read on other forums that the Gen 4's have MIM extractor and firing pin

18. cmcinc

cmcinc

Jan 10, 2007
    Georgia
  19. coastal4974

coastal4974

Nov 2, 2009
    Why so rude?

20. BWT

BWT

Apr 27, 2010
    USA
    I believe in snap caps, because I don't want Murphy telling me I should have when the SHTF. Thanks OP for the post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.