close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dry Fire: Yes? No?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by jlc767, Feb 28, 2010.

1. jlc767

jlc767

Feb 20, 2010
    Virginia
    Preface: I apologize if I missed an older thread; I've tried using the search function for 'dry fire' and 'dry firing', but I didn't see any relevant threads.

For those of you that don't know, I'm new to the forum and just yesterday picked up my first firearm, a Glock 21 OD! As the subject reads, I have a question about dry firing -- is it OK?

I've scoured this forum and Google and I keep reading different things; is there a definitive answer on this topic?

Is it OK? Is it not OK? Is it OK, but in moderation? And, assuming I dry fire too much (which I don't think I do), which parts would need to be replaced to fix a problem associated with dry firing?

Thanks, everyone. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  2. jlc767

jlc767

Feb 20, 2010
    Virginia

3. With what i have read i dont believe it will hurt anything. It doesnt bother me at all to dry fire mine. If somthing breaks i'll have it fixed. My 2 cents

4. zoyter2

zoyter2 Yeah, so what?

Jun 25, 2002
    Anniston, Alabama
    Well, the general consensus is that it won't hurt the pistol. Mine have been dryfired EXTENSIVELY and no problems. If you have doubts, "snap caps" are cheap and easy to find.

The important thing is that dry fire is THE BEST way to improve your skills. BAR NONE!

For every live round you fire, dry-fire a dozen! Live fire teaches you nothing. It only PROVES whether or not you are doing it right. Dry fire hones your skills.

5. jmorri30

jmorri30

Jan 12, 2010
    Dry-firing a centerfire firearm should not cause any damage at all but I have seen where rimfires are not great to dryfire.

6. +1
    Great post.

7. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

Oct 24, 2009
  8. You're fine. I do a lot of trigger discipline with my carry Glock 23. In which part of Virginia do you reside?

9. farley45

farley45

Feb 23, 2009
    Nebraska
    +1.

I have dry fired my G21 extensively as well. Dry firing will improve your skills.

10. adamr_41

adamr_41

Aug 30, 2009
    Dry fire away!! Its a Glock. You have to dry fire it to field strip it...

11. jlc767

jlc767

Feb 20, 2010
    Virginia
    Also, the manual states that the trigger must be in the "rearmost position for slide removal" i.e. you must dry fire to field-strip your Glock. Right? I might just call Glock tomorrow.

12. adamr_41

adamr_41

Aug 30, 2009
    Yes you must dry fire to field strip...Just follow the instructions in your manual or do a search on this forum.

13. stevein8tor

stevein8tor

Feb 18, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    I personally have never had anything break will dry firing. As a range instructor i encourage it to new shooters to help with muscle memory in resetting the sear and establishing a smooth trigger pull. Im sure someone might disagree with me but i have never had a problem nor has anyone that i have ever suggested it to. If your worried about breaking something you can buy some snap caps in the caliber that will fit your gun. All major outdoor stores (cabelas, scheels) sell them. Hope this helps :wavey:

14. G26ster

G26ster

Jan 13, 2010
    Texas
    Not necessarily so for ALL centefires. My Beretta Tomcat manual specifically warns about dry firing which, as they say, "can cause firing pin breakage which can cause unintentional dischrage or failure to discharge." They recommend an empty casing in the chamber to cushion the fall of the firing pin and reduce chances of firing pin breakage. (a snap cap would do).

15. jlc767

jlc767

Feb 20, 2010
    Virginia
    Thanks for the replies. Pardon my ignorance, but if I dry fire my gun with a snap cap in the magazine, do I just eject it from the chamber afterwards? Not sure how it works.

16. sigcalcatrant

sigcalcatrant

Mar 8, 2008
    Yes, but use snap caps. Why take the chance of cracking the breech face when snap caps are so cheap and easy to find.

17. jlc767

jlc767

Feb 20, 2010
    Virginia
    Aye, gunna pick up some Snap Caps this week. Should I bother with a certain brand? I see there are a few.

18. jlc767

jlc767

Feb 20, 2010
    Virginia
    I live in downtown Norfolk.

19. sigcalcatrant

sigcalcatrant

Mar 8, 2008
    Put the snap cap in an EMPTY magazine, insert magazine, rack the slide, pull trigger. To reset the striker, pull the slide back a half inch or so and release, pull trigger again, repeat as necessary. Buy the aluminum ones, they last longer.

20. farley45

farley45

Feb 23, 2009
    Nebraska
    I'm not quite sure what your question is here. But, if I take it literally then yes when you are done just eject the snap cap.

I use to use snap caps. There are more expensive ones and there are cheaper ones. I bought the cheaper ones and they got chewed up and ruined fairly quickly with rigorous use.

Maybe someone who has used more expensive ones will be able to comment further.