Drew blood today: Deer report

Discussion in 'The 10 Ring' started by glock20hunter, Nov 18, 2012.

1. So last night I had a decent 8 point at 15yds but decided to pass. About 20 minutes later a monster 12 point ran through my thicket at about 60yds. I just couldn't get him to stop for a shot.

Anyway, I really wanted some meat so I decided to take a doe if I saw a mature one. I had a few young does come by really close but I couldn't be for sure they weren't button bucks mixed in. Then this big girl strolled through. I shot her at 40yds and she fell dead within 25yds. As part of our management program we have to weigh them. She was 152lbs which is big for Arkansas

I was using my stock Glock 20 with Truglo TFO sights. The bullet was Underwood 200gr XTP and it did a great job. The bullet entered mid cavity and broke through her ribs and exited by her neck.There was no recovery of the bullet but the exit was a sizeable hole. I will definitely be using these bullets from here on out. And for what its worth these were more accurate at 60-80yds than the Buffalo Bore.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 glock20hunter, Nov 18, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Joint Base Andrews Air Show The Okie Corral Tuesday at 6:18 AM
    P.C. Run Amock: Democrats drop Thomas Jefferson and Andrew Jackson from dinner name Political Issues Jul 23, 2015
    Happy 10th Birthday Andrew.... The Okie Corral Jun 14, 2015
    Andrew Brannan EXECUTED The Okie Corral Jan 15, 2015
    Mexican judge orders jailed Marine Andrew Tahmooressi freed The Okie Corral Oct 31, 2014

3. Buski

Well done!

4. Nice shot. Way more impressive than taking one with a scoped rifle like everyone I know does. And a 152 doe is decent size even up here in MN.

5. PsTaN

Grats!!

I've hunted with my 20 this weekend as well. Yesterday, I had a cow horn spike at 5 yards and let him walk .... figured I'd let him grow up!! Also, I know there's a nice 8-10 point in that area. Hopefully, I'll have a pic and a story soon.

PsTaN

6. Very nice shot and hunt bud. Being able to hunt and process ones game is probably the best feelings in the world.

7. good shot, congrats

8. And my favorite part!

[​IMG]

9. I am jealous. Wish there's available real estate around here for that.

Btw, you should repost this in the 10mm Hunting stickie top of the page so we'd always have access with only a few clicks.

10. Very nice :thumbsup:

11. 2240

Very nice, thanks for sharing.

12. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I hunt with a .45-70 instead of a Glock 20, so when the big one comes through, I don't have to wait for him to stop. I can just fire a shot in his general direction and he'll die.
    [​IMG]

13. BicycleDay43

BicycleDay43 00 Buck dude

At least if you miss with the G-20, the hurricane that comes after will solve the problem.

-BD

14. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

But what about the damage to the environment?

Looks like a guy was hunting with a 10mm a couple of miles from me, last week:
    [​IMG]

#13 Bren, Nov 21, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  15. BicycleDay43

BicycleDay43 00 Buck dude

"Obviously you didn't see the rack on that deer." :rofl:

Sent from the bridge of an Imperial Star Destroyer

#14 BicycleDay43, Nov 21, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  16. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy
    Silver Member

Nice work!

17. Congrats glock20hunter. Back straps wrapped in bacon are my favorite.

18. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I made that last week and you are right. I cut backstrap into slices across, about an inch thick. Marinated them in a mesquite BBQ marinade in a ziplock bag for a couple of days, then wrapped them in bacon and grilled them - my wife says it's the best she's ever had.

19. aptrpl6

aptrpl6 Detached Member

Congratulations, that's a monster of a doe! They average around 90 pounds in my neck of the woods. In my opinion, any game taken with a pistol is something to be proud of! I'll have to try that Underwood load.