close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Drawing from a seated postion in a car

Discussion in 'Tactics and Training' started by BigAl at GT, Apr 16, 2012.

1. SpringerTGO

SpringerTGO
    Expand Collapse

O.K.
    As usual, you are putting something out as a fact, that I have my doubts about.
    You've got "hundreds, if not thousands" of people on this board "who do not, and would not, agree with me. And the "track record, correspondence, and thank you notes to prove it".
    You offered, so please prove it.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. barth

barth
    Expand Collapse
    six barrels

Change to cross draw.

3. ImpeachObama

ImpeachObama
    Expand Collapse
    Fuhgettaboutit

4. VinnieD

VinnieD
    Expand Collapse

This isn't an issue since I use a shoulder rig. It's a tad unconventional and only really reliably works for big guys with broad shoulders for reliably concealment, but in a car I only have to make sure I don't put the seatbelt in the way.

Though that's not something I recommend for everyone. If you really want to be sure about carjackers and other nasties while seated, consider a dedicated car gun. The real advantage would be you could keep a larger weapon in your car without worry of how to conceal. Anything from a large bore pistol, .410 revolver (a carjacking being one of the few cases where you could be fairly sure you'd be in the effective range of a .410 fired out of a short barrel), to even a carbine like an Uzi, Draco, or pistol configuration AR.

The down side of a dedicated car gun of course is that a gun left in the car is more likely to be stolen, and then you're not only out a gun if your car is broken into, but also you're going to be in for a hassle if that gun is used in a crime. I'd suggest finding some way of securing it against at least quick smash and grabs, and make a habit of unlocking it when you get in and re locking when you get out. A cable style lock would be a start, a mini safe secured to the car's frame even better.

5. Jake Starr

Jake Starr
    Expand Collapse

I use a Frontline IWB somewhere around the 430 position. I find that I can draw it just fine even with my seatbelt on, same when I am in uniform from my duty holster. Main concern is that when I first get in I do all my adjusting before I drive off.

And depending on the time of day and where I am, I often practice drawing while driving. And when off duty, I carry my P228 Israeli style in C3 I will pop out the mag and practice racking the slide after I draw....for me the most effective method is the rack it off of the steering wheel. Practice this almost everyday when leaving and arriving home.

Practice makes perfect. :supergrin:

6. Bren

Bren
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

Without reading this thread, a shoulder holster or cross-draw holster is easiest to use while seated in a car. An ankle holster also works and I do know a guy who shot a guy with the gun in his ankle holster because his car seat blocked him from drawing the one on his hip (which will happen if you have to duck down below the dash for cover, since that puts you on top of a gun worn on your strong side).

#26 Bren, Apr 19, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  7. jack76590

jack76590
    Expand Collapse

After thinking about this issue I decided on a dedicated "vehicle gun" which I take out of vehicle at night. If I park in bad area or anywhere at night I put vehicle gun in some type of case and take with me.

But generally leave in vehicle, when parked and lock doors. Some people will say you can have your gun stolen. True but for decades I have often made stops, esp at grocery stores on the way home from the range, with many unloaded guns and ammo in the trunk. Yes a bit harder to break into trunk and would have to load guns, but really not much different.

I do think vehicle gun should be well concealed, as visible gun would certainly make your vehicle a target. I presently put steel J frame in compartment under center armrest.

8. mingaa

mingaa
    Expand Collapse

I drive a Mitsu Eclipse GT-a car that you sort of pour yourself into. I also carry IWB appendix. Im cautious of outer garments, often removing them and adjust my shirt if needed for access to my gun. I'm fortunate that the seatbelt clasp and the belt configuration are conveniently placed allowing me easy access to draw. Fortunately things fall easily into place in my car sounds like you have some challenges. If I were jammed up some of the suggestions are certainly good ones.

Concerning stopping before drawing-that may sound good on paper but I'm in the 'every situation is unique' school and I've made sure that I can draw with confidence and control while moving.

Concerning racking a round and using the steering wheel-the answer is one in the chamber. Period. IMHO, of course. Do/die as you wish. "oh did I say that out loud?!"

#28 mingaa, Apr 19, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  9. Blackshirt

Blackshirt
    Expand Collapse

Since you have no idea if you will be able to completely resolve a situation while seated in your car, you should continue to use the best all-around rig you can find. If the seatbelt gets in the way of presenting your weapon, you must develop a technique that includes unbuckling your seatbelt. Once you figure this technique out, you must practice it sufficiently to commit it to muscle-memory. Once you have your piece in-hand, conventional shooting techniques will be difficult to execute, so you must experiment with improvised techniques such as off-hand shooting or contact shots. Most important is recognizing when it is safe to break contact and get away from the problem...

10. Jake Starr

Jake Starr
    Expand Collapse

:rofl::rofl:

11. mlanush

mlanush
    Expand Collapse

instead of taking advice from "sea Lawyers" I would seek professional training and/or find videos and books written by professionals, I sure you could go on the ask the professionals on this forum and get a better answer........

Btw,

It is possible to cleanly draw your weapon from a 4'o clock IWb holster concealed with the seatbelt on.... (the israelis have a very simple method, look up the lotar method...)

I recently took some training and we worked on drawing from a seated position in a car ; by no means am i a xpert so i will refraim from trying to explain...

Also, remember training DVD's do not take the place of seeing the instructor in person in a training class

12. Jake Starr

Jake Starr
    Expand Collapse

It is indeed possible. I too just took a training class with some former IDF Spec Ops guys and this was part of the training...can be done and was done in just a few seconds... even from C3 firing one handed through the passenger side window, then exiting the vehicle with a mag change and engaging a second threat target.

13. FFR Spyder GT

FFR Spyder GT
    Expand Collapse
    Ex-Gunslinger

BigAl,

You posted " I wondered how difficult it would be to pull from my crossbreed holster at the 4 o'clock position"

Couple of tips.........

1.) Get rid of the crossbreed holster.

2.) Stop carrying at 4 o'clock.

3.) Practice your draw with your EDC pistol and holster while seated in your car. More than one car? Practice with all of them.

One of the ranges in my area has this situation in one of their IPDA stages.

Spyder

14. pspez

pspez
    Expand Collapse

:agree:

15. mlanush

mlanush
    Expand Collapse

I agree with 1 and 3 but 2 that is bunch of hog-wash

why tell someone to stop carrying there concealed where they find it comfortable, I carry mine 4-430 and have NO issues drawing from CONCEALMENT in the car, that was after lots of practice and taking a class by a professional on how it can be done........

16. Misty02

Misty02
    Expand Collapse

Does this help any? [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KmZJ5GJ3Oo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KmZJ5GJ3Oo[/ame]

The only place where my carry mode yields better results than that of my sons is in the vehicle. Depending on what they are carrying it would be your traditional 4 o’clock, ankle or pocket. I carry mostly in a fanny-pack; the movements involved in the draw are nearly unnoticeable to someone observing from the outside. Additionally, I can have a full grip without the pistol being fully exposed. They’ve tried my method, like it, but won’t go as far as using a fanny-pack to carry in the vehicle. Not a problem as lost as they maintain the firearm on their person and it goes with them (without a second thought) if they have to quickly exit the vehicle or it overturns.

Whichever method(s) you use, practice them as much as you can.

Good luck finding what works best for you. :wavey:

17. Misty02

Misty02
    Expand Collapse

I too have done it during training classes, in spite that not being the way I carry. I’m not as efficient since it is not something I practice often, but if I can do it, anyone can.

18. JAMROCK

JAMROCK
    Expand Collapse
    Working Member

This might help you.

[​IMG]

See review and pics here.

19. barth

barth
    Expand Collapse
    six barrels

I carry cross draw.
    Usually pull my shirt up and expose the grip so I can easily
    draw and fire if a carjacking or whatever suddenly unfolds.

20. HK Dan

HK Dan
    Expand Collapse

Shoot some IDPA. You'll discover new ways to deal with this using the gear you have, or discover new gear!