close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Dpms

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by a_tack, Dec 25, 2009.

1. WellArmedSheep

WellArmedSheep NRA Member

Apr 5, 2006
    Ala-freakin'-bama
    I built my 3-gun AR on a DPMS lower. It works great. I figured it would make sense to give props to the guys that support the sport.

2. Got one, like it, no complaints and lots of fun to shoot!

3. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

Feb 6, 2000
    Alaska
    Been over this. Don't own one myself and never will. As a police department firearms instructor and armorer responsible for them however I have a lot of un wanted experience with them. Don't waste your money. Others are going to disagree but that is my 2 cents on the subject.
    Pat

4. thisaway

thisaway Moderator

Jan 11, 2000
    Soddy Daisy, Tenn.
    I have a "Frankenrifle" AR built on a DPMS lower, but only the stripped lower and the bolt itself came from DPMS. All the other parts on the weapon are from other manufacturers. So I don't feel badly about it at all. It functions well, and it shoots well. I am not in Iraq, Afghanistan, Bananastan, or wherever, so I will likely never experience any problems.

5. furioso2112

furioso2112

Dec 12, 2007
    I have an AP4 (their 16" .308 AR). I like it quite well, though only have 100+ rounds through it. So far, it seems far better than I expected based on the mixed reviews I saw about them before buying.

6. Randolph da man

Randolph da man

Nov 12, 2006
    junk...

but look on the bright side....

gays collect them....

7. ulose2

ulose2

May 28, 2008
    DPMS are forged & made to mil spec. I have my DPMS lower built with a 3#jp trigger mated to a POF gas piston upper. I owned other DPMS with no issues..

8. mattyk6

mattyk6

Sep 30, 2001
    Washington
    I have an AP4 and I've had it about a year. I love it. The only malfunctions I've had was with Wolf ammo when I first got it and didn't know anything ARs and 223.

9. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

Feb 6, 2000
    Alaska
    Actually there is nothing mil spec about DPMS. I am happy that you have had good luck with yours. Without getting everyone all stired up I will say the DPMS is what it is, but it is certainly not mil spec.
    Pat

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  10. Petrie

Petrie

Nov 26, 2008
    I have a DPMS Panther Classic. It's an A2 style rifle. No chrome-lining. I put 600 rounds of various ammo through it with only one jam when it was new. Real accurate gun. It's less than a year old so time will tell if it holds up.

11. mgs

mgs Always Carrying Millennium Member

Dec 21, 1998
    cogan station, pa, usa
    There are only two suppliers of raw AR lowers in this country. The different manufacturers finish them to their specs to build their guns.....Mil-Spec or not. I built a rifle off a DPMS lower and it works fine. I did not use their parts kit but am shooting one of their 20" heavy barrels/tmarked upper & bolt/carrier and it's a tack driver. I personally would not pick their complete rifle over a Stag, Bushmaster, LMT, etc., Mike.

12. ulose2

ulose2

May 28, 2008
    Not to stir up a big debate, Could you give examples of 2 AR lowers that are consider one of the best and why? ex.. Noveske or RRA.. etc.. Thanks

13. madecov

madecov book em' Danno

Pretty much, a lower is a lower is a lower.
    On 95% of them pick your roll mark and go.

Since the election when AR things had gone crazy there have been a whole slew of new lowers on the market. Some smaller companies have some out of spec issues

As for a decent lower to use as a build

Any of the known names who were around before the election should be good to go

14. BulgarWheat

BulgarWheat

Mar 24, 2009
    I like my DPMS just fine. Haven't had any bad experience with it yet.

Having said that, I DID also pick up a Colt.

15. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

Feb 6, 2000
    Alaska
    For the most part a lower is a lower is a lower. Some times the are out of spec. (holes drilled in wrong location seen that with Oly) What I was talking about with DPMS not being mil spec is their compete guns. If you want to use their lowers go ahead. The only issue I have had with lowers in my builds is tight mag wells in some of them that did not drop free with pmags. Laure (LMT) was one. CMMG was another.
    Pat

16. MySiK26

MySiK26 ******

In my 30+ years as a swat instructor and urban mall tactical entry instructor, I've seen many DPMS' malf when others colts' kept running (insert sarcastic upeyes smiley face here.)

17. MARSH1

MARSH1 Dealer Silver Member

May 21, 2007
    Texas
    The OP needs to be more specific about which model. In the past their entry level ARs might have been a decent value but it is a buyers market today and you can do better for little or no more money.

The make a pretty good .308 and some of the other calibers they build on the the standard AR platform get good user feedback for hunting.

18. Narc1911

Narc1911 Anchora Salutis

Jun 8, 2007
    Washington
    I've have DPMS' and they are hit and miss, but overall they are a poor choice for an AR. Many casual shooters will have no problems if they get. I would never trust my life to a DPMS at work or even take one to a carbine class.

DPMS has piss poor testing and quality control. They let way too much crap out the door onto the public, plus they are way overpriced.