close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

DPMS Panther

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by vallelbg, Jan 26, 2013.

1. vallelbg

vallelbg

Mar 16, 2012
    Any thoughts or feelings, good or bad concerning this rifle?

2. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    While there are plenty of people that are happy with DPMS rifles, they also have a history of having more problems that some of the slightly more expensive brands. They are generally of inferior quality to, say, BCM, Colt, Daniel Defense, S&W, and even PSA.

3. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    They bought several of them for our SWAT team several years back. They haven't had any problems from them.

4. LL6

LL6

Feb 22, 2010
    Off I-40, NC
    Pop yourself a big bowl of popcorn and grab a drink. Do a search for "DPMS" and be prepared for a lot of reading. :whistling:

5. stooxie

stooxie NRA Life Member

Apr 10, 2005
    Northern Virginia
    Well, Collim1, your SWAT team is clearly not down with the 411 cuz if they were your DPMS rifles would know to be malfunctioning at the proper rate. They just missed the memo from Colt Industries.

:rofl:

Be prepared for all the operators to tell you that Colt is the only true rifle!

-Stooxie

6. larson1122

larson1122

Jan 30, 2012
    Minnesota
    What exactly is the purpose for a post like this? The OP didn't ask to listen to somebody whine about Colt or "operators," he asked about DPMS.

OP, I don't own a DPMS, but from what I have seen they seem to have a higher percentage of problem guns leaving the factory than some of the more reputable companies. Sure, most DPMS owners are probably happy and haven't had problems, but it definitely seems like the risk of getting a problem gun are higher with DPMS.

7. LL6

LL6

Feb 22, 2010
    Off I-40, NC
    [​IMG]

:wavey:

8. michael_b

michael_b BRC #1492

Sep 3, 2011
    Kansas
    LMAO.. No kidding

Although OP, my cousins boyfriend had one, put about 50 rounds through it and the hand guards fell apart on his hands. That is my only experience from anyone I know. YMMV.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  9. larson1122

larson1122

Jan 30, 2012
    Minnesota
    As crazy as it sounds, some people like to ask questions without having their thread turned into the inevitable brand war bickering contest that usually occurs here.

10. stooxie

stooxie NRA Life Member

Apr 10, 2005
    Northern Virginia
    Thank you, that is EXACTLY the point of my post.

-Stooxie

11. bushhogg

bushhogg

Apr 8, 2012
    Stooxie... like your Quote at bottom of post...THANKS

12. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Far West, USA
    DPMS are the some of the worst AR15s on the market, period. Even in this panic buy state, you can do better.

13. tampashooters

tampashooters Shellback

Jun 25, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    I have had two, and both have been flawless. Even with the cheap tulammo.

They are a great buy, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. People are brand whores when it comes to AR-15's. It's all about mine is better than yours and mine cost more because I have a prettier logo.

Mine shoots just as well as any others out there.

In a few years when the rotation is complete and Remington rolled out their contract M4's to the military because Colt lost it, you'll see the Colt crowd migrating to Remington and bashing everything else as well. http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gear...s-order-for-24000-m4-carbines-with-remington/

14. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    Right, because anyone that says anything bad about DPMS only does so out of blind allegiance to Colt. It couldn't possibly be because they have personally had DPMS parts or rifles fail on them due to poor quality, right?

15. tampashooters

tampashooters Shellback

Jun 25, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    Low likelihood that a majority of those folks ever owned a DPMS (Most had "Friends").. But, I can tell you that EVERY brand has it's problems.

16. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    Yep, every brand has the occasional screw-up, but some of them have those screw-ups far more often than others. There's a good reason why you hear more stories of problems with Bushmaster, Del-Ton, DPMS, etc. than with Colt, BCM, DD or LMT.

17. tampashooters

tampashooters Shellback

Jun 25, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    Keep telling yourself that..... :upeyes:

18. DrtyHarry

DrtyHarry

Sep 26, 2007
    NJ/VT
    I have over 1000 rounds in my DPMS SASS (.308)...and it shoots like a dream. One of my better investments. Don't know about the .223 Panther though...

DH

19. larson1122

larson1122

Jan 30, 2012
    Minnesota
    This is not a difficult concept. He asked for thoughts and feelings on DPMS, but for whatever reason you chose to talk about "Colt operators" instead. Believe it or not, people can have opinions about something without currently owning one, and I do not currently own one for the reasons outlined in this thread.

20. michael_b

michael_b BRC #1492

Sep 3, 2011
    Kansas
    Do a search on here and online- you'll soon discover the brands that show up most frequently as having issues. THAT is how I started my research before I built my AR.

Almost exactly my findings except I'd add Olympic in with Bushmaster, Del-Ton, DPMS, etc.

Makes me appreciate guys like you, Murph, etc. taking time to share your knowledge with us AR noobs.