close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

DPMS Panther Oracle

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Beware Owner, May 24, 2010.

1. Beware Owner

Beware Owner NOT a victim.

Oct 16, 2007
    I am looking into getting one of these, they look nice, good brand, in 5.56. Anybody have any experience with these babies?

2. MCKNBRD

MCKNBRD

Feb 2, 2005
    Thomasville, NC
    Oh Jesus Christ. Please, for the love of all that is holy, use the search function.

Its a polarizing topic. You've got the ones that hate DPMS and the ones that haven't had a problem with them. It usually gets ugly, and lots of egos, toes, and personal feelings get stepped on in the process.

Suffice it to say that DPMS is a good hobby/hunting gun. If it has features you like, and you find the price tolerable, pick it up and shoot the heck out of it. If you're planning on using it as a duty gun or some situation where your life depends on it, you might want to look elsewhere.

Byrdman

3. MARSH1

MARSH1 Dealer Silver Member

May 21, 2007
    Texas
    As noted search, there was a very recent thread about DPMS as a brand.

Brand preference aside it is very much a entry level AR that lacks sights and other desired features. It is a buyers market right now. Without even knowing what price you can get it for it is safe to say you can get a lot more AR for very little or no more money.

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  4. it's better than the sportacal ... what's the price on it ???

5. Detectorist

Detectorist

Jul 16, 2008
    Missouri
    +100 Good post.

6. Beware Owner

Oct 16, 2007
    $750 before taxes. I've seen the other threads, but I don't like entering heated threads where I can't really get the information I seek.

7. Beware Owner

Oct 16, 2007
    I don't want to have ANY weapon I can't trust my life to, so I'll just leave the amount I put down and get another in layaway.

8. djegators

djegators

Mar 1, 2009
    Tampa, FL

As was stated above, depends on your purpose. What most reasonable people will say is that the DPMS can serve some purposes adequately, but you can get something a lot better for only a little more money. My take is that a few hundred bucks averaged out over a decade is meaningless, and I would rather have a top drawer weapon. My two cents.

9. Beware Owner

Oct 16, 2007
    Thank you very much, that's what I like to see, question made, answers given. We here on GT spend way too much time injecting comments that don't serve the thread's purpose. This thread could've derailed into who and why we search, who doesn't search, etc., but it won't. I understand people's want to see less repeated threads, I grasp that concept thoroughly. However, like I said, I like threads that are actually useful. Many good threads go awry because someone entered it kinda lopsided already. I like to start a thread, make my questions, ignore what isn't an answer, and leave it at that.

Thank you for the answers. I will just swap it out for another, better rifle.

10. djegators

djegators

Mar 1, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Check the classifieds here and elsewhere, some good deals can be found if you are patient. I have found NIB weapons well below the cheapest online dealer. And when it comes to ARs, you can save a bit by buying lower and upper separately.

11. Rekr

Rekr

Apr 27, 2010
    DPMS makes a fine rifle, about the same quality as a Colt but will leave you with some moeny left over for some ammo.

12. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

Feb 6, 2000
    Alaska
    If you want to trust your life to your rifle get a Tier one rifle. Colt, LMT, BCM, Noveske, Etc. Bravo Company USA currently is the best bang for the buck in my opinion.
    Pat

13. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

Feb 6, 2000
    Alaska
    Troll Alert.
    [​IMG]

14. Patrolman175

Patrolman175

Feb 5, 2005
    :rofl::rofl::rofl: Thats Funny!

15. jem375

jem375 NRA Life Member

Jun 18, 2003
    Minnesota
    buy the DPMS, you won't be sorry. best bang for the buck out there..

16. Detectorist

Detectorist

Jul 16, 2008
    Missouri
    Having used the Colt M16 professionally, and I'm not talking about ranges, I notice a good bit of difference between the Colt and the DPMS.

I think the DPMS is a decent hobbyist gun. The Colt has a chromed barrel and chamber which is a real good thing and is considered mandatory for a mil grade weapon.. The Colt has a better made bolt carrier group, including the all important extractor.

I think a DPMS is fine for hobby use but for possible defense use where you may throw lots of lead down range rather quickly, go with a Colt or one of it's quality copy cats.

I was able to get my DPMS Panther for an insanely low price since I work for a gun dealer.

Whichever model you decide to get, find a good brand of ammo that works consistently with your weapon.

17. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR Senior Member

Mar 1, 2007
    In my shop
    Hi Kegel!:wavey:

18. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
  19. KiloXray

KiloXray

Sep 28, 2009
    Earth
    Id like to add Daniel Defense to that list. Perhaps they are the Etc.

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  20. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

Feb 6, 2000
    Alaska
    Oh yea sorry about that. DD is top notch. Unfortunately I had to sell mine to fund my open shotgun. But they do make a top notch gun. Here is a pic of the one I had. [​IMG]