Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

DPMS Oracle for first AR?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by bigmoney890, Apr 5, 2012.

1. bigmoney890

Nov 8, 2011
    Boone, NC
    Thanks for your input. I've been looking at the BCM uppers and they look pretty good, i've also been cheeking out some CMMG upper also. Anyone have input on them?
  2. Hour13

Hour13 Tah-dah!

Aug 21, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    No problem man. Ya, BCM is a helluva good way to go. Heard good things(mostly) about CMMG, but have not personally built one yet. I usually go BCM, but for a shoestring build, Palmetto State make good stuff for the money.

But if you keep the doo-dads to a minimum, you can build high quality on a budget. Here's a BCM 16" carbine I built for about $1,000...

3. bigmoney890

Nov 8, 2011
    Boone, NC
    I'll look further into BCM
  4. Navitimer

Apr 29, 2009
    Thanks Javelin - I'll check that out. If I can score a Colt for that price range then I'm certainly in! I love Colts!
  5. Airborne11B

Mar 28, 2012
    The AR platform is a proven design, even the cheap ones get it right most of the time. For my money I would go with the company that has a proven service department. Even the high end companies but out a weapon that just doesn't run right. You'll have alot less headaches with good customer service.
  6. mnzan

Apr 27, 2012
    Hello all, I to like bigmoney890 am looking into the DPMS Oracle 5.56 as it will be my first AR other than the .22 cal AR I have. I found it at A Big Outfitter here in Ohio for $629 But after a lot of research and talking to a few friends and Gun enthusiasts I found that the upper/barrel was the down fall to the DMPS Oracle which is the major part of the Gun, I said well I can upgrade that later but it is also the most expensive part of the gun ....... hmmmmm ... so I looked at an Armalite M15a4 with dual stage trigger for only $220 more. I found that the Dual stage trigger alone was roughly $100 - $175 upgrade and the Barrel/upper is a much better Barrel "16" Double Lapped, Chrome Lined\Chrome Moly Vanadium" verses the DPMS Barrel "16" Lightweight 4140 Chromemoly" ..... No Comparison , So I decided for $220 more to get a better longer lasting Barrel/upper and a Dual Stage Trigger that's only Savings for more Ammo, Optics and Accessories. So Armalite it is Unless there are experts that think the STAG Model 2 is the way to go???? But As for now I think i am going with the Armalite ..... I would like any input I can get and I will not be like "bigmoney890" :tongueout: I will respect all input I can Get as I am by far a Professional, Expert, or a No it All.
    Thanks All and Hope to here from you
  7. Matthew Courtney

Matthew Courtney Instructor #298

Oct 14, 2002
    Lake Charles
    For those that have DPMS built rifles, they are servicable rifles. Keep spare parts handy, just like Colt owners should and enjoy shooting your rifles. Better practice beats pricier products 364 days a year. For those looking to buy, DPMS rifles no longer represent a good value because now there are better rifles available in the same price range. S&W Sports can be had in most areas for 625-650 and a PSA m-4 comfiguration can be had for 675-725. Many gun stores push DPMS because margins are a little better. If you cannot get a Sport or a PSA, DPMS might be OK, but unless you just have to get a rifle today, I would still wait a week or to for a PSA or S&W.
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  8. billy b

billy b

Jan 29, 2009
    i recently bought a dpms oracle. have shot it about 150 times now. have used five different mags, three types of powder, three diff bullets,and the gun has been 100% relible. i own other ar's, wanted something light with no sights. what more do you want out of an ar. i've handled and shot some colts. they don't impress me much.
  9. bigmoney890

Nov 8, 2011
    Boone, NC
    Odd that this thread got revived right as I finished my build. Yes it took me 7 months, but I'm sure as hell glad i decided to build. I built it from top to bottom with the help from people on here and some youtube videos. Dropped it off at the gunsmith to check everything over, and headed to the range.

At a total of $750 for my build, it's way more gun (and i get the satisfaction of building it) than the Oracle, and I am much for familiar with the platform than I would have been by just buying a complete rifle. I recommend anyone build if they're looking at a gun in the 600-1000 range for their first gun.
  10. DieselNut

May 21, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I've not had good luck with dpms. Unless something has changed in the last 3 years they're still bottom of the barrel. If buying something less than milspec I'd suggest double star, stag, S&W, cmmg....

if you only have $600 to spend buy an ak.