Downloaded Magazines

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by unit1069, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Could it be that gun manufactures know that springs will shorten slightly (Say 5%) so they design them slightly long (again by 5%) so that when they shorten they are at the perfect length for years of service?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. The constant unloading and loading of magazines is what causes the springs to weaken. Leaving them fully loaded doesn't adversely affect their length, strength, or performance, but why risk it if you feel otherwise?
  3. whitebread

whitebread ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The spring length at rest is not a specification of the spring. Springs are defined by a force curve with respect to an absolute compressed length. Typically, the first ~20% of compression is not linear nor part of its design parameters. The extended length you speak about in your example has no relevance to the mag assembly function - it is compressed well beyond that point at rest when assembled.

When a magazine follower and spring assembly is compressed, there is a lot more going on (mechanically) than simply a spring compressing. However, I am not disputing that when the spring is brand new, and you compress that spring, the length at rest is inconsistent, or its first compression curve is identical to that of compression number 10, 50, or 5,000. I am saying that the spring is designed to behave in a specific manner over its lifetime. The first few compressions are not of consideration, and over a lifetime of compression cycles, it will fatigue...but, leaving it compressed for an infinite amount of time (after the spring is cycled a handful of times) will not produce any measurable difference in behavior. Cycling it 10,000 times while leaving another identical spring compressed will show a decrease in force/change in elastic limit with the one that was cycled. The only way to truly get 'spring set' is to introduce heat or over-compress it (would require disassembling the mag and stretching the spring or a heat-treating oven).

No reasonable person with the slightest hint of an engineering background would specify/choose spring characteristics that would be affected by leaving a mag loaded. ...especially not these days.
  4. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Yeah, and the moon is made of cream cheese! :supergrin:

My college record in, both, Christian Religion and statistical science was never lower than 3.8. I have never been ranked anywhere less than the upper 5 percentile of whatever class I was in. My recorded IQ is, 'in the stratosphere'; and here I am on the dumbass Internet taking crap from a dummy like you! Believe anything you like. All I can say is, 'Wow'! :shocked:

(Serves me right; doesn't it!) :freak:
    #25 Arc Angel, Sep 30, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  5. I download all my Glock mags by one because they are a pain to fully load. I carry a 17C on duty with 2 spare mags. Off duty a 23C with one spare mag. So on duty 49 rounds instead of 52. Off duty 25 rounds instead of 27. Just not that big a deal to me. I have 23 mags that are over a decade and a half old and still work fine so whatever I'm doing I'll just keep doing.
  6. SCSU74

SCSU74 St. Cloud Proud

Go into the valuable info sub forum, beaten to death in there. No need to download pistol mags. Ar mags are a different story

Sent from my iPhone... which probably auto-corrected something wrong
  7. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

:) 4Rules, Thank you for making such an excellent contribution to this thread. Too bad the information has been so largely overlooked! :freak:

Larry Vickers, while he might not have a PhD in metallurgy or spring science, clearly demonstrates that he knows what he’s talking about, and speaks with the wisdom and authority of an older, heavily experienced, gunman. I like what Vickers has to say, so much, that I’m going to keep a copy of his recommendations for my own use.

(Even though I’m already following these caveats, and have done so for many years, at least now I’ll have just that much more justification!)

Thanks! :thumbsup:
    #28 Arc Angel, Oct 1, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  8. Im a downloader. I refuse to force rounds in mags. Mine last forever. I drop 2 on the 9mm and one on the 40/45. I can not say it worries me. I can reload with ease, shoot well and not have single issu with anything.

I started this with highpowers in the old days. Then the smith 9mm issues.

Not stressing your equipment is old. Peacemakers were the first download. 5 rather than 6 unless your fighting.

We carried 5 nd 6 shot guns for years.If you cant finish it with 13 9mm rounds ball or otherwise hes more of a man than you. Same with 12 45 rounds or 13 40 cal.

You have to be realistic.

If you dont want to be realistic, well carry em full and fantasy up.

Also stats wise, first round failure to feed out of the mag drops way down. If your really in need that alone would do it for me.
  9. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

:thumbsup: Doc, you really said it! You and I must be close in years. ;)
  10. This

Not stressing your equipment is old. Peacemakers were the first download. 5 rather than 6 unless your fighting.

was done because if one loaded all six chambers the firing pin was at rest on one of the primers of the six cartridges,different than fully loading your magazines. SJ 40
    #31 SJ 40, Oct 1, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  11. Thanks for all the responses. I can see there is no consensus on this issue. Hoping others with opinions will chime in.
  12. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

These folks probably know more about gun springs than everyone on this forum:

13. Warp

14. robhic

robhic WOLVERINE!!!!
    Platinum Member Gold Member

This is more personal stupidity and non-focus than an equipment issue. Just today, I was at the range testing ammo in my Ruger .22's. I had my G26 with 10+1 concealed.

After finishing the .22, I had one target left so I shot it with my 26. Ten shots and then pointed the pistol downrange (THANK GOD!) before putting it back in the holster so I could leave and head home. Well, I had shot 10 rounds. The G26 carries 10 rounds, but ONE IN THE CHAMBER = ELEVEN!!!

I had the dreaded ND -- more like a SD (Stupid Discharge) -- down range!!! :wow: Because I am thinking/counting 10 rounds, the 11th snuck up on me. One more reason to only load the designed amount, downloading one round as the one in the chamber from now on. All Glocks..
  15. Warp

10 rounds in a 10 round magazine is the designed amount.
  16. No, i disagree. It's one more reason to completely let go of the concept and mindset of counting rounds untill empty.

Nothing short of a removed magazine AND a locked back slide AND a visually verified empty chamber, constitutes an unloaded weapon.

#37 SouthpawG26, Oct 2, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  17. Even if you download - you should still unload and reload your mags every 3 months or 3,000 miles whichever comes first.

18. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

Didn't notice slide lock (or lack thereof?)
  19. Warp

Very good point.

Who thinks that their Glock is empty when the slide closes on an inserted magazine??? I mean, really...this is looking like a great example of poor gun handling.