close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Down to these questions on 1911 purchase

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by 2TheRange, Dec 31, 2010.

1. 2TheRange

2TheRange
    Expand Collapse

Hello 1911 enthusiasts! I've been mostly a lurker and have just lately decided to get a 1911. I have read everything in this forum and the 1911 form and have come down to just these few questions before making my decision.

First Question
    SA Range Officer
    Dear rsxr22, your 12/27/2010 post (after others raving reviews and recommendations) leaves you as not impressed with the RO.
    Are you not impressed from a it's nothing special over the say the SA Loaded or similarly priced 1911's or are you meaning it not impressive when actually compared to the TRP and other high end 1911's? Does anyone doubt SA's claim to have the TRP quality internals?

Second Question
    Smith & Wesson SW1911
    If I order a Smith & Wesson SW1911 Model# 108282 Stainless today, which one am I really going to get? SW's website shows a NON billboard SW1911 slide and a single side safety. But all of the suppliers show the picture WITH the billboard SW1911slide AND specify the ambidextrous safety.

Final Question
    Checkering
    Does it really cost $250 to get the front strap checkered? Is there not another option besides skateboard tape and a wrap around grip? Would serrations be any cheaper? Thoughts?

Thanks to bac1023 and all of you for taking me from knowing zip about 1911's to feeling like I'm real close to deciding which one to buy.

2TR

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Quack

Quack
    Expand Collapse
    Rent this space

the RO doesn't say anything about the internals, it says it's built to TRP/TM quality. the internals on the TRP/TM/RO/Loaded's are all the same.

[​IMG]

$250 is the going rate for HAND checkering, if you have seen how much filing is involved, you'd understand. Machine checkering is about $150

3. Hokie1911

Hokie1911
    Expand Collapse
    >

Plus the cost to refinish...

4. Nickpisp

Nickpisp
    Expand Collapse

rsxr22's reviews are the only bad one I've seen on the RO. I'm happy with mine although I like my TRP better. If money isn't an issue I'd go ahead and get the TRP.

5. Jason D

Jason D
    Expand Collapse
    INFRINGED
    Silver Member Millennium Member
    1. Project Mayhem

I really like the looks of the RO.
    I would not however buy one.
    For the simple fact of the stupid bump on the grip saftey.

I hate that and avoid any gun that has them.

6. MajorD

MajorD
    Expand Collapse

shoot before you consider ANY mods. I myself have NOT found front strap checkering really needed and in fact prefer a gun WITHOUT it. I can grip the gun with a decent set of grips on it more than adequately without checkering. And many people say well what about if the gun is muddy bloody or wet? BTDT no problem.

7. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg
    Expand Collapse
    BTF Inventor

I'd rather have a TRP, but I shoot just as well as my partners do with their base colt, TRP, and 2500.00 Nighthawk guns, and I'm shooting a stock loaded with no mods except VZ grips. If you are trying to decide regarding frontstrap checkering, shoot one with and one withot before ordering.

#7 Bill Lumberg, Jan 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  8. samuse

samuse
    Expand Collapse

I would go with the R.O. out of those three.

The R.O. looks nice and would be a good gun to have customized if you felt like it.

I'm also a pretty big fan of the base model Colts and Springfields. They're usually pretty good guns, don't cost a whole lot and can be modded any way you want.

A properly tuned Springfield Mil-Spec will do anything any 1911 will do, in the right hands.

9. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

I'm impressed with the RO. As advertised, it feels like the TRP without the extras and much better than the Loaded.

I'd get one, but it seems silly since I already have a TRP. There are too many other 1911s I want.

10. mserr

mserr
    Expand Collapse
    mmm bop

I have an RO, it's my first and only 1911 thus far, but not my first pistol by any means. Everything about the gun has impressed me, it's simple looks, the build quality, fit, reliability. IMO a great gun especially for the price.

11. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

No problem. I hope we help you make a good decision. :wavey:

12. rsxr22

rsxr22
    Expand Collapse

It's nothing special compared to some other companies offerings. I was not impressed with the trigger, finish, and fit. The gun was tight, but so was my Kimber SIS when i got it and when it finally sold it was rattling like a GI 1911. The DE1911 and STI Spartan IMO offer a much better product for the price point. If I was looking to buy in that range, I would get one of those. I personally would buy the Spartan again but mainly just because STI as a company has a much stronger foundation than MR.
    Dont get me wrong, I love Springfields. They are probably my favorite production guns out there, but I just dont like the way they did the RO. They named the gun after a IDPA official, I dont personally know one person that shoots IDPA that doesnt use 8 round basepad mags. Im not saying there not out there, but i personally have never seen it. I havent personally shot a RO, but I dont anticipate them shooting any different then a Loaded. The finish is weak for holster wear resistance because it is Parkerizing. STI's Spartan has it to, but that is the reason i bought that over the Trojan. I refinished the gun to see if I'd like it and within the next month I am having a local smith checker it for $100. Then I'll re-spray it again.

I am not saying not to buy one if you want. Im sure quality is good which is standard when buying a Springer. I just personally think that the Spartan and DE1911 are more "out of the box" ready guns.

13. rsxr22

rsxr22
    Expand Collapse

The issue with the gun firing slightly out of battery has been proved to be a null and void point considering all 1911's will do this to a certain extent, Quack schooled me on that

14. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

True, but, in my opinion, it now puts Springfield on a level playing field with the Kimber Custom II and Smith SW1911 in that price range. The Loaded was always a step below, as far as I was concerned.

I think the RO is MUCH nicer than the Loaded.

15. rsxr22

rsxr22
    Expand Collapse

i guess you are right. I think the few Loaded's Ive had experience got some extra TLC. Their triggers were good like the TRP's

16. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

Every Loaded I handled was disappointing and I handled at least a dozen different models over the years.

17. Quack

Quack
    Expand Collapse
    Rent this space

Mil-specs are disappointing compared to the R1 as well.

18. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

I don't own a MS, but I love the R1. :)

19. glock2740

glock2740
    Expand Collapse
    Gun lover.

I sure wish it came checkered, even if machined, which doesn't bother me a bit. I really don't know why most 1911's don't come with a checkered frontstrap. :dunno:

Exactly.

20. glock2740

glock2740
    Expand Collapse
    Gun lover.

Do you like the R1 over a Mil-Spec, especially as a base gun? And if yes, that says alot about the R1 coming from a SA lover like you. I also really like the way your R1 has come along. :thumbsup: