close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dow Down. Global Market poop, Buy ammo?

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by 69Charger, Aug 8, 2011.

1. 69Charger

69Charger

Jul 25, 2011
    Tacoma Wa
    With the markets all over the world getting worse by the second, should we start stocking up on our defensive, survival, ammo now?
    Dave. :(

2. Akita

Akita gone

Jul 22, 2002

3. wjv

wjv

Jan 17, 2002
    Pacific NW
    This train wreck will take years. . .

4. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Oct 28, 1999
    Blue Planet
    Where have you been? You should already be stocked with ammo by now.

The key to being prepared is stocking up on stuff when nothing is going on so you aren't that guy who shows up at the store after the SHTF with all the other sheep.

5. banger

banger

Nov 8, 2005
    Where evil lives

I could not agree more!!!

Those that waited are already too late.

I am sure some will make it under the wire but most will over pay for inferior preps.

6. 69Charger

69Charger

Jul 25, 2011
    Tacoma Wa
    I'm already good to go on my minimum amount of ammo I feel I could bug out with, just wondering if the market will drive up the price NOW, or if the manufacturers will bump up the price trying to profit off the paranoid?
    I am not one of the END IS NEAR kind of people. But was a boy scout.
    Dave

7. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.
    My family is running a live practice drill right now,I started athread in the S/P about it.If ammo ect is handy buy as much as you can.'08.

8. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

Feb 9, 2008
    N. Dallas
    :agreed:

It is just not isolated to one market, economy, commodity, etc. It is world-wide.

9. LongGun1

LongGun1 StraightShooter

This...but not just this..

..as ammo is just one facet of self-defense actually!

Self-reliance.....self-sufficiency is what you should be striving for...IMO!

If you are interdependent..

..then you are only as strong as the weak link in your 'circle of dependency'...

..& if it is not apparent by now...

..there are lots of weak links! :whistling:

10. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

Sep 16, 2008
    Do you have a basic stockpile, as in each gun has a decent supply of ammo, like 100 rounds per firearm? If not it may be a good idea that you have enough gas for every gun you own.

If you already have some ammo for all your guns then I say no. Like Akita said, food is more important right now. Don't buy bean & Rice and Mylar, focus on what you use on a regular basis, that is shelf stable and buy extra.

Buying 1000 rounds and putting it on a credit card is stupidity right now.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  11. Bolster

Bolster Not Ready Yet!

Jul 23, 2011
    State of Stupidity
    Seems like the solution here to every market downturn is always "buy more ammo." Bartering aside, what is being over-prepared to kill a lot of hungry and depressed people (which you are extremely unlikely to actually do) going to achieve, when you could be putting that money toward more likely threats?

I'd recommend doing a survey of your basics: is your health good, do you need surgery, dentistry? Doing aerobics and weights? How's your car, does it need a tuneup, parts? Garden, seeds? Prepared to cook/bake your own food? Any needed repairs on your house? Now's the time to get those should-do things crossed off the list. Make yourself and your home a hardened target.

Get involved in community preparedness organizations: your local ham net, neighborhood watch, CERT, whatever. These will help you keep your ear to the ground and prepare for specific likely threats. While a gun solves a few problems extremely well, there are many other problems in hard times that guns won't help you with at all. Shelter, water, food should move to the top of the list.

We still live in a civilization that will quickly take out any non-lawful shooter, and will, for a very long time to come. When you consider the actual probabilities you'll be using large quantities of ammo to defend yourself, you may find your money is better spent elsewhere.

12. wjv

wjv

Jan 17, 2002
    Pacific NW
    Good thing Obama addressed the nation today, or else we could have had a real financial disaster on Wall Street!

\sarcasm

13. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    Really? So all the stores everywhere are now closed? No one has anything in stock? Online sites are all shut down?

14. ArmoryDoc

ArmoryDoc

May 14, 2006
    Kansas
    It's already been years. The myth of an accelerated decline became fact in 2008.

15. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

Sep 10, 2008
    Nowhereville, USA
    Listen folks it's probably not getting any better, so keep stocking the grub, ammo,fuel, or what ever than lock n load while the sheeple go into panic mode.

16. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

Jul 10, 2000
    The stock market is crappy and stocks are cheap. What do I buy? Stocks. Buy low, sell high. The market will recover eventually. Maybe in a few years, or maybe longer, but it will eventually sort itself out.

I guess it would be questionable if I were going to retire next year. With 25 years or so before retirement, I'm dumping money into my 401k like it's a fire sale.

17. pugman

pugman

May 16, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Until the fed seizes it like a fire sale.

Remember, this government is desperate. I'm completely nonpartisan but when the president comes on and says something like "we will always be a AAA nation" (like the average person even knows what that mean) you know its not good.

I think of the Arnold imitator from 2012 when he says "the worst is behind us" than smack..

Objectively, I doubt the federal government as we know it will exist in 25 years...along with social security....401Ks...

18. wjv

wjv

Jan 17, 2002
    Pacific NW
    Monday night -

Hang Seng is down 1,335 points (6.54%)
    Nikkei is down 403.25 (4.43%)

19. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

May 22, 2002
    Huskerville
    I've made this suggestion on a forum or two where the topic is buying gold. I suggested ammo and was shot down (pardon the pun). Try to buy a loaf of bread with an ounce of gold. Ammo like cigarettes can be sub divided and used for bartering!

20. codecowboy

codecowboy NRA Life Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Texas
    Same part of the movie...."WHEN THEY TELL YOU NOT TO PANIC...THAT'S WHEN YOU RUN!!!!!!"