close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Dovetail Sight Removal

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by Quigley, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Quigley

Quigley Elite Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Virginia
    I recently purchased a new 10/22 and wanted to replace the factory sights with hiviz. Sounds easy enough use a brass punch and a hammer drive out the old sights and install the new ones. The only problem is I cant get the old ones out. I have been using a brass punch and substantial hammer with absolutely no luck. Im hitting the mess out of it too with the barrel firmly set in a vice. Any lube or way to freeze the front sight to make this easier?

2. Is there a set screw that you are not seeing?
    Possibly a set roll pin?
    I use Aero-Kroil for all stubborn removal work.

3. I've had stubborn sights before and have used the very thin wafer cut off wheel on a Dremmel tool to cut the sight close to in half.
    If you go that route please be very careful and go slow.

4. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

Feb 15, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Front site comes off easier from left to right.

I just did mine last week.

Back site comes off when you punch out HARD while in a vise.

Laying it down did not work, had to be in a vise.

A few guys on RimfireCentral had to use a dremel to cut theirs out.

5. Quigley

Quigley Elite Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Virginia
    Hey guys thanks for the updates. I sprayed the front sight with lots of the freeze and release and was able to tap it out. The rear sight was a lot easier. The real problem came when I went to install the new sight. It did not want to go. I used a lot of freeze and release but still no luck. I wound up breaking that sight because the punch slipped purchases replacement and with a lot of bruit force it finally went.

6. Most sights need to be fit even when they are for your model of gun.
    I usually use a fine sandpaper such as 400g to smooth out the contact surfaces if they won't go in.
    A little at a time will get the fit right.