close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Dove Hunting Opening Day is Coming Up

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Robalero, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Robalero

Robalero Texican

Mar 18, 2003
    South Texas
    South Texas here, Whitewing are flying, my shotguns are clean and ready, and I am good to go! Anyone else?

2. BuckeyePPC

BuckeyePPC

Jun 26, 2001
    SE AZ
    Last year I used my 20ga Remington 870 and believe it or not a Norinco double barrel coach gun. This year I bought a NEF semi auto at Wally World. It's an SA1-128 in black poly. I really like this shotgun and have spent the last 2 weekends patterning it.

Our 2 week open dove season starts 9/1 and a bunch of us will be out blasting them. We've been looking forward to the swarms of doves since last year. Wasn't a week gone by we didn't talk about it.

3. Oh yeah! Look forward to opening day of Dove every year. Kind of the inauguration of the hunting season. In Kansas, it starts on Labor Day weekend.

4. Robalero

Robalero Texican

Mar 18, 2003
    South Texas
    We've been in a drought here, but they are still flying.

5. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Aug 16, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    Pffft. I think opening day here is November. . . oh, probably October for archery. Late late late compared to you suthuhnuz.

6. archery for dove?

7. Robalero

Robalero Texican

Mar 18, 2003
    South Texas
    LOL, now that's one heck of a shot!

Opening day is creeping up, can't wait!

8. method

method

Mar 27, 2002
    Cleveland, OH
    Dove and squirrel is coming up on the 1st for us also, will be my first time dove hunting. Just bought an old 20 gauge Ithaca 37 for it, and found some nice public dove fields 40 minutes away.

9. method

method

Mar 27, 2002
    Cleveland, OH
    Al....most there. What's typically the best time for doves, morning, evening, early afternoon?

10. Robalero

Robalero Texican

Mar 18, 2003
    South Texas
    Actually dove are extremely active in the early morning; however, you can not legally shoot until after noon til sunset (in Texas). Opening day is the only day I'm out there right at twelve, after that, late afternoon is best.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  11. here in KS, dove are active early morning and late evening. But we generally only go in the evening, not sure why.

12. BuckeyePPC

BuckeyePPC

Jun 26, 2001
    SE AZ
    On the weekends we get to our area around 7 am. Quit about 10 am and start cleaning. Leave the area around 11 am for lunch. However, since I get off work early afternoon I have time to go home, grab my shotgun, and get a couple of hours in before sundown.

13. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Aug 16, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    :rofl::rofl::rofl:

A WEEK later, I re-read the thread title. I SWEAR it said DEER. That's my story and I'm stickin to it!

14. BuckeyePPC

BuckeyePPC

Jun 26, 2001
    SE AZ
    Got all my gear ready last night and in 3 hours I'll be out blasting, hopefully, some delicious dove !!! 2 hours later a couple of guys from work will be joining me. I've been waiting all year for today. I'm so excited I can't sit still !

15. Robalero

Robalero Texican

Mar 18, 2003
    South Texas
    Good Luck Buckeye!

16. good luck man! wish i was going also. probably only be able to make it out 1 day this weekend.

17. Robalero

Robalero Texican

Mar 18, 2003
    South Texas
    I'll be out there Saturday right at noon. There are plenty of whitewing dove right now, and it'll be extremely hot, but we're gonna have a blast!

18. RRTX11

RRTX11

Dec 27, 2010
    Central Texas
    Got my limit this morning by 7:50, got my limit this evening but it took my right til dark. Will be back out tomorrow morning at 7 a.m. Have thick peppered bacon, jalapenoes, and if I get my limits tomorrow will have 96 dove fillets wrapped in bacon with a cream cheese center ready to go for the weekend. Man, September, dove season, longhorns, aggies, hornfrogs.....and the cowgirls! don't get much better than this!

19. Robalero

Robalero Texican

Mar 18, 2003
    South Texas
    Okay, so don't stop, oven or bbq? Any seasoning?