close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Double Tap .45 ACP 230gr Controlled Expansion?

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by JK-linux, Oct 29, 2010.

1. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

Jan 26, 2001
    i have plenty of DT 10mm on hand and they use various bullets depending on the weight.

id have no problems with DT .45acp ammo but dont understand the need for controlled expansion from this caliber.

.45acp rounds usually expand as designed or do not expand at all or barely so. so a round designed to expand slower so it penetrates deeper is puzzling in this caliber as it will either expand little and penetrate more than desired on a human attacker, or expand later as designed but not penetrate enough in a hunting scenario.

i know this doesnt help you much but im perplexed by this design in this caliber if used from a handgun.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010

2. drc767

drc767 Navy CSAR

Dec 30, 2007
    Tennessee
    Who knows with DoubleTap anymore? Last I knew, they were using the Montana Gold JHP for their Controlled Expansion. Before that it was the XTP.

3. awpk03s

awpk03s

Apr 1, 2007
    Ohio
    All of the DT rounds I have are loaded with Gold Dots. But I don't think they were labeled as "controlled expansion".